Severe Weather /weather Chaser Scanning Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROY_PICKETT

Why don't you start a forum for people who like to listen to storm chasers and such? I have been interested in listening to weather chasing and would be interested in something like that..Also where in this forum could i post a few good sites for monatoring weather? I have a high resolution radar site i go to that i really like and would like to share it. And it is not the usual noaa site. Thanks Roy

car2back

I agree it would be a great addition to RR if possible!

Although there are other forums out there that deal with storm spotting/chasing directly, there is a great variety of people here Radio Reference that you may not find elsewhere.

Last edited:

specman

Here's a great resource for that; includes Public Safety, Media, Ham and other outlets organzied by state. Kept reasonably up to date too:

kBrews Storm Spotting Frequencies

Storm chasers often use the Ham simplex freq of 146.55 to chat during a chase; although this isn't a hard fast rule and other freqs. are used. Some areas will have Spotters calling in reports to NWS offices via Ham frequencies too, and some areas even have dedicated Repeaters for use during active weather events. I've also seen FRS/GMRS and even CB used a fair amount for chasing purposes.. and there's even some HF mixed in there too (especially during hurricane season).

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
"Mobile spotters are encouraged to use the following Unofficial National Spotting Simplex Frequencies:

* 146.55 MHz (146.46 Backup)
* 223.520 MHz
* 446.100 MHz (often used for cross patching to 146.550 MHz.)
* 1294.550 MHz"

I'm sure all are licensed...

ROY_PICKETT

Sounds like a good name to me... I have had 146.550 and 446.100 in my scanner for a long time and haven't heard much about the weather.. A few times i have , but alot of the time when they where on there was reagular conversation...Haven't tried the other 2.. I did know about them , but till now didn't have a scanner that would take them... Thanks Roy

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
After we all post our lists (which are already covered in kbrews' or in the RR forum) what would you really discuss that needs a separate forum? If you really have an interest in doppler radar display, you HAVE to use GRLevelX software (http://grlevelx.com for a free trial.)

Status
Not open for further replies.