Location, Location, Location....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_D

Hi all,

A couple of very simple feature requests to support the growing demand for location-based scanning data:

1. Location format preference in MyRR
    It would be very nice if users could specify a preference of format for latitude/longitude data displayed in RRDB (i.e., Degrees, Minutes, Seconds vs. Decimal Degrees). The conversion is very simple and could be performed programmatically either natively in the database or at runtime in the PHP page.

Until then, we have to run many of our RRDB locations through the conversion calculator at FCC.GOV.

This feature, as part of MyRR, would encourage RRDB membership. Those not logged in would forever receive the default format.

2. Standardize location information on Lat/Long
    Sometimes, it's nice to know that a tower is "6.7 kilometers NW of Reno" but this sort of information isn't very portable. IOW, it can't be imported into a scanner. I recommend that all location data fields accept only latitude/longitude data. If other descriptive information is desired from the FCC license, it should go into an optional, alternate text field.

Eventually, we're gonna want to import/export location data in our CSV files. That won't work if the lat/long data is "On top of bald mountain."

I hope this is helpful.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.