Adding "New Posts" to main page

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Just a suggestion - Now if you want to read the forums and check for new posts, you have to click on 'Forums' and then 'New Posts' if I'm not mistaken. Any chance a link could be placed somewhere on the main page that would allow one to access new posts with one less step?

Mike

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Mike,

On the home page of the site, take a look at the right side, see the part I circled?

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
loumaag said:
Mike,

On the home page of the site, take a look at the right side, see the part I circled?

Well I'll be hornswaggled. Thanks Lou! I should have known I just wan't being diligent enough about searching around. I should have figured that was already covered :)

Mike

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
mtindor said:
Well I'll be hornswaggled. Thanks Lou! I should have known I just wan't being diligent enough about searching around. I should have figured that was already covered :)

Mike
:lol:
Not a problem, that is what this forum is for; but really, we weren't trying to trick you. ;)

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
Giving credit where credit is due

Lou,

Nice piece of work there(that is not meant sarcasticly!) To be honest I have always just came on and clicked on forums and went through them. I never bothered to look at that on the front page! One tiny little suggestion might be to make it flash or have it a different color so it is more noticable. I like it, it puts all the new posts in on one page and then even tells me where it is at.

Thanks for the point out Lou....been here a very long time and did not notice it.....

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Thanks Eric,

I think (but my mind goes fuzzy trying to remember things I don't use) that the "New Posts" have always been there even back to the Trunked Radio Net days. With that in mind, there are lots of ways to accomplish the same task here and every person has their own way of getting to what they want. Making any particular way more obvious would, of course, cause those who use some other method to want "their" way to get the same treatment. :cool:

For what it is worth, I am one of those who first, go through all the emails that I have gotten as a result of individual thread subscriptions to see the most recent replies (since my last visit). Then I (again using emails) look at the forums I am subscribed to and see the new posts in those forums (this notification comes out in the early morning hours). Finally I just go to the various forum indexes to see what forums have new (unread) topics and see if any of them might be of interest to me personally or in moderator role. Of course everyone does their forum surfing differently so ... My point being my way works for me, others look at "new posts" across the whole board, others just randomly check things out, I would imagine that there are at least one or two people who have a set "search" that they perform looking for certain terms and only look at posts since the last time they were on. Find out what works for you, but don't be afraid to look around and see what else might be available here.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin

One thing you can do to save steps is to set a bookmark to start at one of these pages:
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/subscription.php to see all your subcribed threads or
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/usercp.php to see your unread subscribed threads.
Just click the bookmark and you would be taken directly to your subscribed threads. You would have to make sure you set your browser to keep you logged in, remembering your user name and password, for this to work properly.

We don't want any hornswoggling going on around here unless you feel the need to do it on your own. ;)

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
RR Start Page Yo

hotdjdave said:
One thing you can do to save steps is to set a bookmark to start at one of these pages:

Bookmarks? No... to score extra points it should be your start page! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.