Internet Explorer locks up

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Hello.
I've experienced this problem several times while here on RR, but only now figured out that it is specifically related to RR only. It does not happen to me on other sites, and I can specifically make it happen here any time.

I am logged in with an IE window open. I'll typically be composing a post and want to reference something on RR; so I'll open another copy of IE (from FILE NEW WINDOW). I'll browse in the new window .. cut and paste (usually) into my post. Then I send my post. Then I close the duplicate windown. Upon doing that my original window open with RR is frozen. I can not do a thing - and task manager gets no response from it as well. I have to kill IE from task manager and reload IE from scratch.

It's not a huge thing,
but I do find it interesting.

HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
Well you might not like to hear this or even believe it but the problem is on your side. One thing you can do is use Firefox. With Firefox you can use tabbed browsing and not even worry about opening up another window. With all of the options and extensions for FF I'll never go back to IE again.

jim202

Why don't you try using Mozilla Firefox. Don't have any problems with it on any
site. It is free and you get updates as they become available.

trafficdan

Premium Subscriber
Mozilla Firefox for browsing the www
Mozilla Thunderbird for email
Mozilla Sundbird for Calendar
RSS Bandit for RSS feeds

Free yourself from the MS BS!!!!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Two different systems

There are so many variables, it is amazing that all of this stuff works in the first place. The version of IE, the O/S it is being used under, the plug-ins installed, the service packs installed ... on and on and on.

BUT I have two separate computers that do this. One is running NT 4.0sp6 with IE 6.0.280 The other is running XP PRO sp2 with IE7.

That makes it pretty tough to find something in common between the two systems except the router they're connected to. And this is the only site this happens on that I've found.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
ScanDaBands said:
I just installed this and I like it..............easy importing from IE to....

Make sure you check out all of the cool extensions out there for it.

garys

Premium Subscriber
IE 7 is MS's belated attempt to catch up to Firefox. It only took about five years or so and it's barely adequate. Firefox is sooooo much better.

Gary

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Hate to spoil the Firefox fun, but I'm running MSIE 7.0.5730.11 (which also has tabs), and it works perfectly here on RR, and any other site I go to. :)

I have tried Firefox on, and off over the years, and I'd like to switch, but there is always a few sites that don't seem to work correctly. Possibly because they were developed with MS software products.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
GreatLakes said:
there is always a few sites that don't seem to work correctly. Possibly because they were developed with MS software products.

Thats true BUT they are few and far between.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
gmclam:

I am not sure what the problem is, but it does have to be on your side. I do what you describe all the time, have done it on various versions of IE and operating systems from Win98SE to XP Pro, from IE 5 thru 7. There is something you have set or some inconsistency in your firewall/security software is that is causing this. It is not the site. :)

N

N_Jay

IE all that way, never have a problem that I did not cause for myself.

GBF

gmclam,
I too exeperienced the exact same problem when I first started posting. Not that it matters, but I'm running 98SE + IE5, no updates. I took someones suggestion and started using a text editor to compose lengthy replies, while browsing or copying from RR. Save often just in case, when it's ready, select all, copy, click reply, paste, preview to see if you like it, then submit and wait for that to finish. I haven't had the problem since. The long time guys all agree, and as one put it, no problems except those caused by ones own self. I don't know what the deal is technically, but a good workaround is good enough for me. Hope this helps. -GBF- Happy New Year to all!

Dubbin

Feed Provider
GBF said:
I took someones suggestion and started using a text editor to compose lengthy replies, while browsing or copying from RR. Save often just in case, when it's ready, select all, copy, click reply, paste, preview to see if you like it, then submit and wait for that to finish.

Wow I couldn't imagine going through all that just to make a post. FF is still the simple solution :)

GBF

Dubbin said:
Wow I couldn't imagine going through all that just to make a post. FF is still the simple solution
Well then use FF and keep your useless and boring posts to yourself or the Cavern. :( Is this site about giving a hand up or a boot down????? You already stated your preference for FF, what positive effect does this post present? Lacking the technical knowledge to help clean up his lock-up problem, at least I offered the guy an alternative, should he choose not to use FF. Have another DP on me!!
(In the spirit of good will, I do not think that ALL of Dubbins posts are useless and boring.)

Dubbin

Feed Provider
GBF said:
Well then use FF and keep your useless and boring posts to yourself or the Cavern. :( Is this site about giving a hand up or a boot down????? You already stated your preference for FF, what positive effect does this post present? Lacking the technical knowledge to help clean up his lock-up problem, at least I offered the guy an alternative, should he choose not to use FF. Have another DP on me!!
(In the spirit of good will, I do not think that ALL of Dubbins posts are useless and boring.)

Geeze all I was saying is that its a lot of work :)

I'll take that DP and buy you a drink of your chioce ;)

Last edited:

GBF

Work=mass times distance, how many BTUs in 4 extra clicks? LOL- make it Miller High Life. Friends? -GBF

Dubbin

Feed Provider
GBF said:
make it Miller High Life

You got it but I'm not carrying you home
drunk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.