Frequency verification

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvycat14

I am from Butler, Pennsylvania. I looked up some police frequencies for my area on RR. A lot of them have the correct description, but a lot don't. I think those who post frequencies on RR should be required to provide some form of verification as to where they found frequencies to save others time in doing that for them.
Just a suggestion...

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
nvycat14 said:
I am from Butler, Pennsylvania. I looked up some police frequencies for my area on RR. A lot of them have the correct description, but a lot don't. I think those who post frequencies on RR should be required to provide some form of verification as to where they found frequencies to save others time in doing that for them.
Just a suggestion...

In the absence of a 100% effective way to guarantee that all information on RR is absolutely correct, what really needs to happen is that those people who see incorrect information listed need to then submit updated correct information to the RRDB admins so that they can reflect those changes on the site :)

Mike

edweirdFL

nvycat14 said:
I think those who post frequencies on RR should be required to provide some form of verification as to where they found frequencies

Based on comments from those whose opinions count (webmaster, db admins) the source for postings should be actual monitoring, and not other written sources.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
mtindor said:
what really needs to happen is that those people who see incorrect information listed need to then submit updated correct information to the RRDB admins so that they can reflect those changes on the site :)
I echo this statement. A submitter can say whatever they want. We have no positive way to verify it. If something is being repeatedly corrected then don't resubmit, notify the Admin doing the changes from the history page.

ohiodesperado

There is no 100% correct way of verifying ALL entries here.
Scanner enthusiasts that monitor these frequescies should and do (I have personally) e-mailed the admin informing them of differences. The best database that we have to reference is the FCC license issued to the city department that is indicated on the license.
But the issue is that if a city needs an additional channel, say for car to car use and they have a public works (water, sewer or street dept) freq that is under utilized it's common practice to simply have the police radios programmed for that freq and then use it for a non-license intended use. One needs to realize that even local law enforcemetn is not typically aware of FCC rules, band plans, or regulations. Due to this they will move things around to suit themselves without considering the regulations or band plans that are in place. Also, some cities and towns that do not have local dispatchers will use county dispatchers and frequencies that are not FCC licensed to them but are covered under the county license for use as public safety frequencies. This is also a very common practice here in Ohio.

We have no less than 5 township and city PD's that are dispatched off by the county sheriff.
Also there is a county fire frequency that dispatches ALL the fire dept's in the county with all of them having there own or a shared fire ground. ANd they also share several other fire frequencies that are licnsed to a specific city but it's not uncommon to hear a different dept that the license holder operating on.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
edweirdFL said:
Based on comments from those whose opinions count (webmaster, db admins) the source for postings should be actual monitoring, and not other written sources.

Someone actually monitoring a freq and knowing what it is used for and then submits that verified info is what makes rr.com the best resource on the web... I keep a bank of unidentified freqs in one of my scanners hoping someday to know what they are... when I find a new freq listed for a city I monitor it goes into the "unknown" bank... I'll listen 'til I figure it out. There are, for example, two low-VHF freqs for a nearby county I have had programmed in my various scanners for 25 years and still have not heard the first peep... some of my identified freqs have two or more PL tones: one of the police departments I monitor shares a talk around freq with the health department.... if you really want to figure out who is where then program all the freqs listed for a city/county and just listen and take notes.

nvycat14

edweirdFL said:

Actual monitoring can be a source of misleading or incomplete information also. I have some freqs that on RR are listed as Butler "County Police" or Butler "Township Police", but if you listen to them, they're actually Butler City police, but you could easily mistake them for other PDs. Like someone else on this thread said, they have a bank full of unidentified freqs, and you can't just tell which PD a freq is by listening to it.

Butler, Pennsylvania

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
nvycat14 said:
Actual monitoring can be a source of misleading or incomplete information also. I have some freqs that on RR are listed as Butler "County Police" or Butler "Township Police", but if you listen to them, they're actually Butler City police, but you could easily mistake them for other PDs. Like someone else on this thread said, they have a bank full of unidentified freqs, and you can't just tell which PD a freq is by listening to it.

Butler, Pennsylvania

Although true that monitoring can be a source of misleading information, one can at least verify the presence of an entity on a frequency within their listening range by monitoring - that's a first step. Just posting information they get from another forum/site provides absolutely no verification of anything. So in the absence of anything else, monitoring a frequency and letting people know what youv'e heard and suspect is better than not saying anything at all or posting information that you take for granted is valid from someone else's postings somewhere else.

Please submit your changes to the Butler County PA area if you have not already. I can monitor a lot of Butler things from my area - I rarely do on a regular basis, but I often DX and note new/heard Butler frequencies. I know I'd appreciate knowing of any updated/more valid information, and I'm sure those who would monitor it on a regular basis would appreciate it even more.

Thanks,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.