Wiki Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

I think that on the Wiki Home Page for RR.com under "Radio Model Information" there should also be a listing of Shortwave radios, and possibly other types like ham, etc.

I know the SW radios can be found under the SWL but it would be more beneficial if they were listed under that category. They could be sorted just like the "Hobbiest Radios" are, by manufacturer.

I am not wiki literate so it would probably require someone a lot of work, creating pages for each manufactuer and model. As we know there are several various makes and models.

Just a thought.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Indeed - but there's a single site that has so much info on HF radios, it's hard to know where to begin - the RadioIntel website run by my friend and fellow ham Ulis Fleming K3LU. In fact, both the SW and Ute wikis have links to RadioIntel's pages on reviews - to me, for those who are researching that new or next HF radio, a veritable goldmine of links.

I think you are right though - it would be next to impossible to enter - and most importantly maintain - the level of links on the Wiki to compare with what he has.

73s Mike

safetyobc

I see what you are saying, however this is "radio reference." One should be able to find everything radio right here within this site.

I think it could be done. It would just take a lot of effort and hard work. Maybe I could learn to speak Wiki and help out a little?

Just a thought. The other sites are great, but it would just be nice to have the basic receiver info, like Uniden, Radio Shack, Icom, and the others have in the Wiki now, but for shortwave and Ham radios.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
hotdjdave said:
Something like what is here would be great for our site: http://www.rigpix.com/

I agree, I always hate refering people to other sites when it should be here on our site at RR. Lindsay can only do so much.
Why should it be here? Rigpix is a very complete and well-established site in its own right. Why duplicate information?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I agree... if someone has implemented a service that is doing a great job, then I see no reason to duplicate what someone else has already implemented.

The only reason why I might choose to implement what another service is already providing would be if I felt I could do it better... ;-) Right now, much of our focus is going to be on the database this year.

However, the wiki was designed and implemented to be a place where, if someone felt like it, they could contribute whatever content they felt.... so, I guess if you want to build it, you have all the tools and components to do so on the wiki.

Warm regards,

Lindsay

Status
Not open for further replies.