A little kindness goes a long way

Status
Not open for further replies.

dosboot

With all the deepest respect to you all all others who share dialogue on this site about the hobbey and profession communication, I would ask if there all of show a little kindness in the fourm. We are not grade school and and I don't belive it's a place to have a ego lets show a little respect, after all its was just a simple question that I ask and did not intened to rub anyone the wrong way and if so im deepley sorry.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
I'm guessing that you're talking about the thread you started about rebanding and the PRO-97? You didn't rub anybody the wrong way, you just need to understand how many times this question has been asked and answered. Most questions can be answered by using the search feature on the site and in the wiki.

Now triple posting this message in the same forum is another story ;) (j/k)

dosboot

Dubbin-
I did not intend to post more then once how it happened I cant say, but sure it was my fault. As far ar Pro-97 and rebanding I have seen yhr wiki and for some reason I thought that Radio shack was not sure if it would are would not stop working after rebanding. So may I should have ask if anyone knew anything new about it. As far as any future post if you do bot think it is a good question and you don't care to answer why can't you just overlook that everyone is not smart as you.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
dosboot said:
Dubbin-
I did not intend to post more then once how it happened I cant say, but sure it was my fault. As far ar Pro-97 and rebanding I have seen yhr wiki and for some reason I thought that Radio shack was not sure if it would are would not stop working after rebanding. So may I should have ask if anyone knew anything new about it. As far as any future post if you do bot think it is a good question and you don't care to answer why can't you just overlook that everyone is not smart as you.

Your question could have been answered by my reply. Sorry I helped, it won't happen again...

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
dosboot said:
Dubbin-
Can I offer a suggestion? Could you please read what you type before posting. When someone can compose a comprehendable paragraph it makes reading much easier.

If something changed regarding rebanding and scanner support it would make news. Rebanding is a hot topic and considering there are a lot of unknowns you'll see answers before you see questions.

John_M

I disagree with you guys. If you have a question you should ask it. If I went up to a coworker or professor and every time they told me to go look it up first "I heard this question so many times" I would learn, you got it zip.

Last edited:

dosboot

Once again I'm sorry for asking such a juvenile question I just was under the impression that this was a place for friendly discussion on topics such as this. And for the record I did check google and found nothing to help sorry.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
dosboot said:
With all the deepest respect to you all all others who share dialogue on this site about the hobbey and profession communication, I would ask if there all of show a little kindness in the fourm. We are not grade school and and I don't belive it's a place to have a ego lets show a little respect, after all its was just a simple question that I ask and did not intened to rub anyone the wrong way and if so im deepley sorry.

I wouldn't loose a lot of sleep over it Michael. You're a paying member, you can ask questions all day long! There really is no need to apologize. As for finding kindness in the forums, that's becoming a scarce commodity these days. As for not being a grade school, I'm not so sure. I've seen more criticism's on Radio Reference about spelling, grammar, sentence structure, than I did all though school! I think Radio References has become so big that it sometimes looses sight of it's purpose.

Last edited:

Dubbin

Feed Provider
dosboot said:
Once again I'm sorry for asking such a juvenile question I just was under the impression that this was a place for friendly discussion on topics such as this. And for the record I did check google and found nothing to help sorry.

No one other then wayne_h and his uncalled for comment is trying to give you a hard time here. You can ask questions all day long but at least make an attempt to find the answer first. The search feature and the wiki will turn up so much information for you that it would take days to read ;)

SkipSanders

Silent Key
I've seen more criticism's on Radio Reference about spelling, grammar, sentence structure, than I did all though school!
-----------
Which might just tell you that, like far too many schools, you went to a very bad school.

Bluntly, if I found I had an employee who was expected to write anything for work, as poorly skilled as some text we're seeing here in this string, I'd fire them. For plain, obvious incompetance.

How you type is the only way you have of giving an impression of your intelligence, and of how much you care about the impression you make, online.

Type like a 6 year old, and that's the level of skill folks are going to ascribe to you. And saying that is being unfair to that 6 year old being compared to, they're probably better.

tnf

to the original poster: start all your posts with "i searched rr and google to no avail, and this question may have been asked" etc. even a half ass search is better than no search, and the search feature on many forums is far from perfect.

D

DaveNF2G

I think tnf and wayne_h have offered the best advice in the entire thread. Re-read their posts and take what they say to heart and you will receive far fewer "hostile" or "critical" responses to questions.

BTW, I hope John_M's professors will eventually start advising him to look stuff up for himself. The purpose of a good education is to be able to function independently as a literate adult, which often means figuring things out for yourself, or at least knowing where to look for information, instead of being helplessly dependent on the more competent people around you.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Rules according to someone

GreatLakes said:
I wouldn't loose a lot of sleep over it Michael. You're a paying member, you can ask questions all day long! There really is no need to apologize. As for finding kindness in the forums, that's becoming a scarce commodity these days. As for not being a grade school, I'm not so sure. I've seen more criticism's on Radio Reference about spelling, grammar, sentence structure, than I did all though school! I think Radio References has become so big that it sometimes looses sight of it's purpose.

I would hope people here were grown up enough and had enough of a real life to let the small stuff roll off. I think this forum is for enjoyment of all and someone posts the wrong thing or is isn't up to par it could be ignored the first time. The second time someone could send a private message to the poster and not try to embarrass them here. I see that that isn't the way it is. Perhaps the self appointed postings police should get a life, unless the real life is reading all of the know scan lists and kncoking everyone who posts anything they don't like or agree with.

We could sit back and let that person do all the posting maybe their soap box would become boring enough they would fall off of it and the forum would once again be open to all.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Looking stuff up is one thing, but at the same time, someone asks a pointed question and then gets piled on...use Google, etc. Sometimes one does not wish to wade through mountains of information to answer one simple question.
In the amount of time it takes to fire off a response that says "Use search" or "Google it," you can either answer the question, or not say anything at all.
That's my take on it.

John_M

DaveNF2G:

BTW, I hope John_M's professors will eventually start advising him to look stuff up for himself. The purpose of a good education is to be able to function independently as a literate adult, which often means figuring things out for yourself, or at least knowing where to look for information, instead of being helplessly dependent on the more competent people around you.

"Instead of being helplessly dependent on the more competent people"

Nice little dig. You have heard my opinion.:lol:

16b

Premium Subscriber
SkipSanders said:
I've seen more criticism's on Radio Reference about spelling, grammar, sentence structure, than I did all though school!
-----------
Which might just tell you that, like far too many schools, you went to a very bad school.

Bluntly, if I found I had an employee who was expected to write anything for work, as poorly skilled as some text we're seeing here in this string, I'd fire them. For plain, obvious incompetance.

How you type is the only way you have of giving an impression of your intelligence, and of how much you care about the impression you make, online.

Type like a 6 year old, and that's the level of skill folks are going to ascribe to you. And saying that is being unfair to that 6 year old being compared to, they're probably better.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have heard the "I'm not going to worry about my spelling and grammar if I don't have to/it's just a web site/who cares/etc." sorts of arguments enough to make me want to puke. I'm going to re-quote this paragraph for emphasis:
I'm not talking about using perfect grammar here; however, if you don't do things like check spelling or use those handy punctuation marks and capital letters every once in a while, you're not going to come across very well. Expressing yourself involves more than just what you say; it involves how you say it, too.

mciupa

dosboot said:
With deepest respect to you( and others) who share dialogue on this site , I would ask (you to) show a little kindness in the fourms.

Will do . :) :wink:

ryangassxx

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Wow, now everyone needs to just take a step back and a deep breath. Look at this thread. Did the original poster really deserve all this?

You guys need to get a grip..

dosboot

Again I am sorry for asking a question and not using google but since some of you guys and gals are professionals you could answer the question at a higher level and faster then google, like maybe a simple yes are no response would do. However all this has made me believe some of you are just neophytes.

Status
Not open for further replies.