Wiki style

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonposter

Trunker,

Why have you make edits to wiki pages that make them harder to read?

For example, let's look at the BR330T page. Here are the current and prior-to-your-edits version.

I don't know what your intent was in making these changes, since there is no description of any of your changes.

You changed the headings of several sub-sections to be just bold text, which is contrary to the Manual of Style. I think this reduces the ability of the reader to easily find and navigate to the section they are interested in.

You merged several sections and subsections. Now, there are 39 bulleted list items under the "Features" subsection within the "Specifications" section. Once again, I think this makes the article more difficult to read.

You've made similar changes to many other Uniden scanner wiki pages. Why are the pages better now than before your changes?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I would disagree. Even though this isn't the official Wikipedia site, it's in our best interests to maintain a consistent style - although I realize that one person's favorite might well be unsightly to another. We all use the MediaWiki software, and to me, it should be used in a fashion that encourages a readable article (page).

Remember, anyone can go back and change the style and presentation of almost any article. The only rule I insist upon is no deleting (without good reason) or destroying a link or article without replacing it with something better and more complete. Too many folks have put a huge amount of time contributing to just have it disappear - even if I can restore pages, pretty much at will :.>>

73s Mike

bezking

I was simply stating that Lindsay made no reference to MOS and didn't write his own(as far as I know)

ka3jjz said:
I would disagree. Even though this isn't the official Wikipedia site, it's in our best interests to maintain a consistent style - although I realize that one person's favorite might well be unsightly to another. We all use the MediaWiki software, and to me, it should be used in a fashion that encourages a readable article (page).

Remember, anyone can go back and change the style and presentation of almost any article. The only rule I insist upon is no deleting (without good reason) or destroying a link or article without replacing it with something better and more complete. Too many folks have put a huge amount of time contributing to just have it disappear - even if I can restore pages, pretty much at will :.>>

73s Mike

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
He didn't write one nor should he. It should be common sence to follow wikipedia's. Why would the site have wiki in front of it with wikipedia style editing if it wasn't?

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
I agree with nonposter here. These changes also make the "Contents" section much less useful.

nonposter said:
Trunker,

Why have you make edits to wiki pages that make them harder to read?

For example, let's look at the BR330T page. Here are the current and prior-to-your-edits version.

I don't know what your intent was in making these changes, since there is no description of any of your changes.

You changed the headings of several sub-sections to be just bold text, which is contrary to the Manual of Style. I think this reduces the ability of the reader to easily find and navigate to the section they are interested in.

You merged several sections and subsections. Now, there are 39 bulleted list items under the "Features" subsection within the "Specifications" section. Once again, I think this makes the article more difficult to read.

You've made similar changes to many other Uniden scanner wiki pages. Why are the pages better now than before your changes?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I agree with the OP. There seems to be no sense in the many changes made by Trunker from March 25 on. Mike, why don't you just see if you can figure out if he added any content at all and roll it back to before he made any changes.

trunker

Trunker,

>Why have you make edits to wiki pages that make them harder to read?

I have simply reformatted the pages to look like the rest of the wiki pages so people browsing multiple pages can find information the same way on each page.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
loumaag said:
I agree with the OP. There seems to be no sense in the many changes made by Trunker from March 25 on. Mike, why don't you just see if you can figure out if he added any content at all and roll it back to before he made any changes.

I'll take a look, but it's going to take quite a while - if he's made numerous changes it's going to be a bear to roll everything back. In addition I see some others have made other changes, and I'm going to have to rescue them and reapply after I restore the page. Yechh!

73s Mike

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
trunker said:
I have simply reformatted the pages to look like the rest of the wiki pages so people browsing multiple pages can find information the same way on each page.
I don't agree, you have changed them to a different style altogether. If you just wanted to make changes for changes sake, then you should have found the pages that were improper and fixed them!

Status
Not open for further replies.