theres already a thread ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go-24

I have seen a lot of threads closed of late and the reason given has been "theres already a thread" ...

Instead of closing the thread, why not merge it with the other exisiting thread instead of locking content, which might not necessarily be duplicate? Are the mods not given the option to merge threads?

N4JNW

If folks would just "read" before being quick on the trigger, many of the doubles wouldn't happen.

Merge is a good idea however, if it was possible..

scannerfreak

Database Admin
KG4LJF said:
If folks would just "read" before being quick on the trigger, many of the doubles wouldn't happen.

Exactly :D The search is there for a reason and that's one of them.

Go-24 said:
I have seen a lot of threads closed of late and the reason given has been "theres already a thread" ...

Instead of closing the thread, why not merge it with the other exisiting thread instead of locking content, which might not necessarily be duplicate? Are the mods not given the option to merge threads?

Yes, we can. I personally try to do this if I feel the duplicated topic has good content in it. But the majority of the dup's are closed well before they take off to that point.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
scanner_freak said:
Exactly :D The search is there for a reason and that's one of them.
One problem with the search is that it doesn't work well in the tavern.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
scanner_freak said:
What doesn't work?
Do a search for "Word Association" and have it look for Titles Only and Entire Posts and see what comes up. Thats a thread with 1,916 replies and the search turns up nothing. The search does not work in the tavern.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Dubbin said:
Do a search for "Word Association" and have it look for Titles Only and Entire Posts and see what comes up. Thats a thread with 1,916 replies and the search turns up nothing. The search does not work in the tavern.
Dubbin is correct. The Tavern posts do not get included in the search engine DB, just like they don't count toward "post count." When referencing a Tavern post, it is always a good idea to provide a link to the thread.

JnglMassiv

Alternatively, use the following text in a Google.com search:

site:radioreference.com

Google brings up tavern threads in its search results.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
loumaag said:
Dubbin is correct. The Tavern posts do not get included in the search engine DB, just like they don't count toward "post count." When referencing a Tavern post, it is always a good idea to provide a link to the thread.

Ah, ya I forgot this changed when Lindsay made that changed..

Go-24

vBulletins search function can be very spotty; even when forums/threads are part of the search db.

If the duplicated content adds ZERO to the already existing thread and thus a merge is not justified; then why not just totally delete it and save the storage space for something more deserving?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Go-24 said:
...If the duplicated content adds ZERO to the already existing thread and thus a merge is not justified; then why not just totally delete it and save the storage space for something more deserving?
A good question and deserving of an answer. First, if a thread (or post) is deleted, it really isn't deleted, we (the moderators) can still see it; so there is not storage savings. Second, the storage space is not a problem, there is plenty available, and to be honest, storage is cheap. Thirdly, we have some policies established as to what can be deleted and what can be closed, merged, etc.; not to get involved in a long discussion on this topic but there is some leeway for the moderators and believe me when I tell you that Lindsay keeps an eye out on such moderation actions. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.