Slow browsing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
It took 67 seconds for this window to open after clicking the "Poste New Thread" button. Is the system being serviced?

scannerpro

Fmon, Good Evening, I'm not sure at all my broswer seems be running fine this evening.

Good Luck! I hope it speeds up for you!

SLWilson

fmon said:
It took 67 seconds for this window to open after clicking the "Poste New Thread" button. Is the system being serviced?

I'm running normal....Is your Net connection running OK? Has someone placed a tracking cookie on the PC that is slowing it down?

Steve/Gallia

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
"Is your Net connection running OK" by Steve/Gallia

Yes slightly under 3000kb. All other browsing is fine and the same drag is in IE7 as this Firefox browser. Been that way most of the day.

Ah well, we'll give it a shot again tomorrow. Thanks, and also to N1ck and s_f.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
I use this program to clean up all the crap on my computer: CCleaner. It's free and it works great; constant updates, too. Cleaning out the junk on your hard drive will speed up its operation and speed up your browser.

"CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware!" :)

http://www.ccleaner.com/

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
did you try a tracert to www.radioreference.com to see where the latency is?

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx>tracert www.radioreference.com

Tracing route to www.radioreference.com [72.3.135.37]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms RV082.SME [172.xx.xx]
2 7 ms 6 ms 9 ms 10.240.39.1
3 16 ms 6 ms 5 ms 68.86.255.145
4 9 ms 7 ms 5 ms ge-2-24-ur01.martinsburg.wv.bad.comcast.net [68.86.252.57]
5 74 ms 189 ms 203 ms te-7-3-ar01.manassascc.va.bad.comcast.net [68.86.252.54]
6 12 ms 11 ms 12 ms po-90-ar01.capitolhghts.md.bad.comcast.net [68.87.129.82]
7 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms 68.86.252.214
8 18 ms 14 ms 14 ms 68.86.90.93
9 14 ms 13 ms 14 ms 64.213.76.77
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 51 ms 51 ms 51 ms vlan901.core1.dfw1.rackspace.com [72.3.128.21]
12 53 ms 53 ms 55 ms aggr1a.dfw1.rackspace.net [72.3.129.3]
13 55 ms 54 ms 55 ms radioreference.com [72.3.135.37]

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx>

**looks like radioreference is hosted by Rackspace. :)

also, go here for a speed test: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

you may be paying for 3MB but not getting it all

try this too:
http://speedtest.adelphia.net/customerdiag/speedtest/

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Thanks for the info on CC Cleaner Dave, I already have the program and have ran it, but no change in speed for RR. All other web pages load normal.

Mike, I ran several speed test yesterday and my connection is correct. Not sure what you mean by this."C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx>tracert"

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
fmon said:
Thanks for the info on CC Cleaner Dave, I already have the program and have ran it, but no change in speed for RR. All other web pages load normal.

Mike, I ran several speed test yesterday and my connection is correct. Not sure what you mean by this."C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx>tracert"

it is a DOS command...

go to start, run and type in "cmd" (no ""). at the command prompt, type

"tracert www.radioreference.com" then hit enter. look at the one I pasted. line 5 is a little high for the time but not too bad. if you have a lot that high or higher, you have a connectivity issue.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx>tracert" is just the command run from my PC. xxxx is where I removed my PC user name.

something else to try... depending on the type of router or wireless access point you have, you may want to restart it. I used to have to reboot mine all the time until I bought a business class router.

if you think your connection is fine, then the issue is with the PC or browser. have you tried another PC is you have one? if not, see if you can have a friend bring over a laptop or borrow a laptop from work if you have access to one.

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Thanks Mike,

My dos command gave similar data as you published above. For what its worth, I have the screen print if needed.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
fmon said:
Thanks Mike,

My dos command gave similar data as you published above. For what its worth, I have the screen print if needed.

no problem... if you have about what I have then you should be OK from that aspect. is it still slow for you? do you have any tool bars installed? have you ran SpyBot?

Universaldecoder

Premium Subscriber
Last resort.....recycle power......

More than likely something hiccupped.....else your neighbors are logged onto your WiFi, and are hogging bandwidth with Apple Itunes...or such...

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Let me re-iterate, my connection speed is normal, my browsing on any other web page is normal including RR Wiki. This RR page which I'm typing this into took 62 seconds to completely open, Yahoo Groups takes 3 seconds, RR Wiki takes 24 seconds, Strong Signals takes 3 seconds, Batwings less then 2 seconds. And any other browsing appears to be normal.

BTW, time is indicated by Fasterfox page loader timer and rounded to nearest second.

The above was typed into the "Quick Reply" window. I then clicked "Go Advanced" and it took 86 seconds to get to this window for typing this additional note.

Edit: Submission of the above took 70 seconds.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Firefox Safe Mode

Have you tried loading Mozilla Firefox Safe Mode? This loads Firefox without any extensions or add ons.

If the slow pages load normally in FF Safe Mode, then the problem lies in your extensions or add ons.

First, open the Windows Task Manger (<CTRL> <ALT> <DELETE> combo) and make sure Firefox is not running, and if so, <End Process>. Then, click Start > All Programs > Mozilla Firefox > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode).

flyingwolf

Old School
The website was a little slow this evening, but it has gone back to normal for me now.

Looks like the RR server was just a little bogged down.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Well folks, don't know what happened, but my RR pages are normal this morning. I.e., this page is displaying 4 seconds on Fasterfox.

Thanks to all for help.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
hotdjdave Yea! :D Too bad we could not pinpoint the problem for future reference. :p[/quote said:
How true, but I don't have the slightest idea what the problem was, it started Friday morning and continued through shut down Sunday night. I ran the CCleaner, SpyBot, CMD tracert and Firefox Safe, and even manually dumped cookies a couple of times. It certainly wasn't Firefox, as the same problem existed in IE 7.

I'm certainly grateful for a couple of tips you guys provided anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.