How bout' a "Trade" forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4JNW

Well, it may have been brought up before, and if it has been, please nip this thread int he bud, but I was thinking maybe a Forum where you could only trade and swap scanners and radio gear would be a decent idea?

There is For Sale, and there is Wanted, but for both of these, the rules seem to not allow any type of "Trade" items. I know there are quite a few members here, (including me), whi trade scanners around quite a bit. Would a Trade forum be beneficial and cut out some confusion and hard feelings of the one's who get thier thread locked up?

Just a brain fart..

trainman111

I think it would be a good idea. Either that, or ammend the rules so it makes it not against the rules to post in the For Sale Forum. It seems like a lot of people have been wanting to trade lately. With no other place to post a possilbe trade, the next best idea would be in the For Sale Forum. At least IMHO. A Trade Forum would be a gread idea.

Utah_Viper

I think trading should be allowed in the "for sale" forum. You are trading money for a item, so why not items for items? I read the topics about what happened and I think it's a bit ridiculous.

landonjensen

Agreed

Utah_Viper said:
I think trading should be allowed in the "for sale" forum. You are trading money for a item, so why not items for items? I read the topics about what happened and I think it's a bit ridiculous.

N4JNW

landonjensen said:

I'm sure this would work, but don't you think a "Trade" Forum would remove any and all confusion? There seems to be quite a bit of confusion now.

A Trade forum would refine everything. Selling a scanner? For Sale. Want a Scanner? Wanted. Got a Scanner you wanna trade? Trade.

Nuff' Said.

D

DaveNF2G

Seems like another invitation to post in the wrong forum for people who are easily confused, and there seem to be plenty of them on the boards.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I fail to understand how this is getting to be such a big deal. :(

When you want to trade something you are looking for something (even if you don't know what it is yet). Since you want something, use the Wanted Forum. How difficult is that. This was discussed ages ago and apparently new and some old users just don't know or remember.

For Sale means money for an item.
Lindsay has plainly stated he wants only items offered for sale (and would like you to put FS in the title) or an announcement of an auction item (and would like you to put FA in the title). What is so difficult about that? :confused:

Selling radio equipment, use the for sale forum.
Trading radio equipment, use the wanted forum.
Selling or trading something other than radio equipment, go somewhere else.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
loumaag said:
When you want to trade something you are looking for something (even if you don't know what it is yet). Since you want something, use the Wanted Forum. How difficult is that.

Come on, Lou. Very few people, if any, would think of the concept of offering to give away something - even if in return for receiving something else - as a "wanted" item. Whether or not it was discussed at length ages ago, it's not in the rules anywhere. You can't reasonably expect people to observe rules that are not published.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Jay said:
Come on, Lou. Very few people, if any, would think of the concept of offering to give away something - even if in return for receiving something else - as a "wanted" item. Whether or not it was discussed at length ages ago, it's not in the rules anywhere. You can't reasonably expect people to observe rules that are not published.
Jay, you make a pretty good argument in the first part, but your second part leaves a bit to be desired. Please read this thread and tell me where it says Trade items are allowed? FS, FA, yes; FT not mentioned.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Not mentioned in the sticky at the top of Wanted, either, Lou..

Granted, the thread you posted does exclude trading posts by way of omission, but again, you can't reasonably expect people to guess that the "wanted" forum is where they should go.

hsdtech

I wonder why there are still LOTS of For Trade threads in the For Sale section that are still active and NOT locked.
Hmmm. Maybe SELECTIVE moderating? Double Standard? Aren't rules supposed to apply to ALL users?

wvd1979

Don_Burke said:
It would appear changing the name of the Wanted forum and adding a few words to the rules would fix all of this.

That's what I suggested too. Just specify in the For Sale rules that trading is not allowed.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
hsdtech said:
I wonder why there are still LOTS of For Trade threads in the For Sale section that are still active and NOT locked.
Hmmm. Maybe SELECTIVE moderating? Double Standard? Aren't rules supposed to apply to ALL users?
Maybe because we don't have the time to read EVERY thread in every forum. Do you have any idea how many new threads there are in a 24 hour period? I don't think you do.

If it bothers you enough, report the threads.

D

DaveNF2G

I think what's bothering some folks, myself included, is that there is a "rule" that is only understood by the moderator(s).

wvd1979

DaveNF2G said:
I think what's bothering some folks, myself included, is that there is a "rule" that is only understood by the moderator(s).

And the moderators are making no effort to clearly post the rule for new users who may not be familiar with the sale forum.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
wvd1979 said:
And the moderators are making no effort to clearly post the rule for new users who may not be familiar with the sale forum.

I do agree that there needs to be a sticky with the "rules of the for sale thread" at the top of the forum. Then there would be no real excuse.

Edit: It could be as simple as adding this to the post Lindsay has in there "For trade items need to be ___ (wanted or for trade if there is one)"

Also I do agree that there should be a "for trade" thread. I don't see how it is really different than buying or selling a piece of radio equipment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.