Forum section for FRS/GMRS radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpawel15x

Is there a section for FRS here? I dont see it. there should be a section for this.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I tried one or more times and the answer was negative. If you want to see how the discussion went you might find it doing a forums search; I'm not sure how far back the threads are searchable. Good Luck if you can get it done.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
This entire site is dedicated to monitoring. Yes, there are discussions from time to time that deal with transmitting, but there are no sections dedicated to them. No Ham, no CB, etc., so there will not be any FRS/GMRS section either under the current intent of the site.

Bandingabout

I have a concerned comment with your explanation Lou. Does one have to be FCC licensed in amatuer bands or, is buying one, FRS/GMRS, different, to ask or inquire of a complete radio reference source question? Some of us are here to learn and continue an education of interest. I'm first to thank all amatuers and many others beside, who assist in understanding monitoring. My interest is more. Nevertheless, I can pass a Tech course but I prefer to gleen knowledge from all who have this radio hobby and their experience with whatever equipment or service they LAWFULLY may use, untill I recieve MY call. Their WILL BE NO SECTIONS DEDICATED seems to be a slap to many radio hobbiest. Ones who are interested in RADIO. I must have missed the monitoring only passage. Limiting what can be shared seems unfair and not in the spirit of this site. JMO.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
BandingAbout, Exactly.
Thought the site name was RadioReference not MonitoringReference.
Yes, there is probably fine print somewhere.

Lou, you almost make it sound like something like this would add cost to what Lindsay does, other than a tiny bit of disk space.....?

Last edited:

Don_Burke

Bandingabout said:
Ones who are interested in RADIO. I must have missed the monitoring only passage. Limiting what can be shared seems unfair and not in the spirit of this site. JMO.
You may wish to go re-read Lou's message. That is not what he said.

You are certainly free to start such topics in the RR tavern. If there is enough interest, you will have a case to get a forum.

I strongly suspect there will not be enough interest, but feel free to prove me wrong.

Don_Burke

bwhite said:
Lou, you almost make it sound like something like this would add cost to what Lindsay does, other than a tiny bit of disk space.....?
Every forum adds to the workload for the moderators, who are working for free. The disk space issue is not really an issue.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Bandingabout said:
I have a concerned comment with your explanation Lou. Does one have to be FCC licensed in amatuer bands or, is buying one, FRS/GMRS, different, to ask or inquire of a complete radio reference source question?
No. Such questions are asked all the time. Topics are opened almost daily on one of these subjects.

Bandingabout said:
Some of us are here to learn and continue an education of interest. I'm first to thank all amatuers and many others beside, who assist in understanding monitoring.
That is what drew me to the SE Radio Trunking web page many. many years ago. That was the web page that Lindsay had in place before TrunkedRadio.net, the predecessor to this site.

Bandingabout said:
My interest is more. Nevertheless, I can pass a Tech course but I prefer to gleen knowledge from all who have this radio hobby and their experience with whatever equipment or service they LAWFULLY may use, untill I recieve MY call.
And you are welcome to ask such questions of those people who are willing to share the knowledge. If I gave the impression that you should not, it was not my intention.

Bandingabout said:
Their (sic) WILL BE NO SECTIONS DEDICATED seems to be a slap to many radio hobbiest. Ones who are interested in RADIO. I must have missed the monitoring only passage. Limiting what can be shared seems unfair and not in the spirit of this site. JMO.
Not only do I disagree with this stance, I find your twisting my words to be offensive. The site is (as pointed out plainly on the home page of the site) dedicated to radio monitoring. This site has forums which cover every facet of that hobby and some that have nothing or little to do with it. We don't have any forums dedicated to specific radio services, as such they would tend to be very technical in nature dealing with transmitting, rules, etc. That is not what this site is about and it is not what the majority of people come to this site for.

The prime purpose of this site is to provide frequency information to the scanner hobbiest. This is done primarly through the RR Database; all other functions of this site, including these forums, are there to support that prime purpose. If you joined this site for something else, then you were mistaken in your belief of the purpose of this site.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
You're a funny one DB.
The same lame reference has been used when this was discussed on several prior occasions. This doesn't mean that the scope is or will be limited forever.
As mentioned, RadioReference, not ScannerReference---this statement is not new either.

Don_Burke

bwhite said:
You're a funny one DB.
With a second banana like you, anyone would be funny.
bwhite said:
The same lame reference has been used when this was discussed on several prior occasions.
Repeating the same actions and expecting different results....
bwhite said:
This doesn't mean that the scope is or will be limited forever.
See above.
bwhite said:
As mentioned, RadioReference, not ScannerReference---this statement is not new either.
ScannerReference would not be an accurate description of the site.

Since you have forgotten it already, here it is again:
The Radio Reference Forums provide the largest most popular place to come and talk about radio communications monitoring.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Someone's having a really bad day, hope tomorrow is better.
You're just not getting what we're saying so I'll let it go there for this thread.

Don_Burke

bwhite said:
I also hope your day is better tomorrow.

My day has been great. I went for a long ride on the bike and will be watching the ball game tonight.
bwhite said:
You're just not getting what we're saying
I get what you are saying better than you do. I simply reject your concept.

Perhaps one day you will have a good enough day so that I can explain it to you.
bwhite said:
so I'll let it go there for this thread.
That is a surprise. By your own admission, your technique is to continue pressing failed arguments in the hope they will someday succeed.

Have a nice life.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
bwhite said:
You're just not getting what we're saying so I'll let it go there for this thread.
What you are not getting is that this has been discussed at length in the past. Will it be the rule forever? That is an unknown; however, I can tell you that for the foreseeable future, there will not be Ham forums, or CB forums, or FRS forums, or GMRS forums or indeed any forums dedicated to a class of radio service.

Since the snipping in this thread has gone over the threshold for any non-Tavern topic, this thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.