RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Tavern Archives

Tavern Archives Archive of all posts in the Tavern. We will periodically archive old posts here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2005, 10:47 AM

Default East & West Cable Channels

:arrow: I have noticed that some Cable Companies have East and West (Versions?) of the same Cable Channel. Is there any difference?
Old 07-13-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Re: East & West Cable Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryNone
I have noticed that some Cable Companies have East and West (Versions?) of the same Cable Channel. Is there any difference?
If you're referring to channels like HBO, with their west and east versions, it's typically just the times at which programs are broadcast, to account for time zone differences.

For example, today at 0900 PDT, HBO East is showing "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy". HBO West shows the same movie at 1200 PDT.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonS
Quote:
I have noticed that some Cable Companies have East and West (Versions?) of the same Cable Channel. Is there any difference?
If you're referring to channels like HBO, with their west and east versions, it's typically just the times at which programs are broadcast, to account for time zone differences.

For example, today at 0900 PDT, HBO East is showing "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy". HBO West shows the same movie at 1200 PDT.
Yes sir. that is exactly what I meant. HHmm, that is interesting. Since don't they rerun the same movies a few times a month @ different times?

Also is it possible to get both coasts on your local cable/satellite?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonS

Yes sir. that is exactly what I meant. HHmm, that is interesting. Since don't they rerun the same movies a few times a month @ different times?
Sometimes they do - but not always. The East/West format allows them to tell subscribers that movie XYZ is on at time ABC (for people in either the Eastern or Pacific time zones - the majority of the population of the US, and the two extremes of the times in the contiguous 48 states). It also allows them to show new releases during "prime time" for both coasts. If they targeted the East coast prime time viewer, many West coast viewers would still be on their way home from work.

Quote:
Also is it possible to get both coasts on your local cable/satellite?
Depends on your service provider. Some may offer all of them, while others may offer only the feed for the "local" time zone.

For example, below is a partial listing of my "movie channel" lineup. For many of them, there are both "east" and "west" versions of the same channel. However, there are some channels (e.g. "Encore Westerns") for which I only get the "west" feed.
517 Encore East
518 Encore West
520 Encore Love Stories West
522 Encore Mystery West
524 Encore Westerns West
527 Encore True Stories East
528 Encore True Stories West
529 Encore Action East
530 Encore Action West
533 STARZ! East
534 STARZ! West
536 STARZ! Theater West