RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Tavern Archives

Tavern Archives - Archive of all posts in the Tavern. We will periodically archive old posts here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2006, 2:19 PM

Default Anything useful to do with the OnStar antenna?

Getting a new GM shortly and the one thing it's equipped with that's going to have to go is the OnStar crap. With what they want for the service there is no practical reason to leave it in the vehicle.

So I was just wondering if anyone else had disabled their OnStar and perhaps found another use for the antenna...800Mhz trunk monitoring perhaps?

Thanks
Old 07-16-2006, 2:28 PM

Why would you want to tear that out? Leave it in for when you re-sell the vehicle.

Doesn't the "emergency feature" work even if your not signed up? I could be mistaken there.
Old 07-16-2006, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskmonger
Why would you want to tear that out? Leave it in for when you re-sell the vehicle.

Doesn't the "emergency feature" work even if your not signed up? I could be mistaken there.

Last time I had an accident I didn't need OnStar to tell me that my air bags had deployed...The giant marshmallow in my face let me know. That and the major power event (battery was severed) failed to even let the computer write the event to memory so I'm not sure an emergency signal would have gotten through.

Aside from that, I was under the impression that unless you pay the monthly...for lack of a better term, monitoring fee the emergency feature will not work.

Resale won't be an issue on this one. For the amount and cost of modifications that have to be done to it for me to be able to drive it I'll be running this beasty into the ground
It was a valid point though.
Old 07-16-2006, 2:40 PM

wheelchair, from what I understand, the newer Onstar equipped vehicles operate on a dual band digital/analog network in the 800 and 1900mhz range so it's basically a cell phone antenna... good luck!

also, why remove it from your GM? why not hook your scanner up to in the car? be sure to post pics in the appropriate forum so we can see your handy work!

Last edited by phil_smith; 07-16-2006 at 2:54 PM..
Old 07-16-2006, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_smith
wheelchair, from what I understand, the newer Onstar equipped vehicles operate on a dual band digital/analog network in the 800 and 1900mhz range so it's basically a cell phone antenna... good luck!

also, why remove it from your GM? why not hook your scanner up to in the car? be sure to post pics in the appropriate forum so we can see your handy work!

I am leaning in the direction of using it for a scanner antenna. It'll need some dissecting once it gets into my garage.

Of course knowing GM disconnecting the OnStar will throw the check engine light or some such on. I'm still researching the whole deal. Vehicle delivery will be about 5 weeks so I've got some time to come up with the answers.
Old 07-16-2006, 3:15 PM

Food for thought...

I get my Arizona Scanner info Here!
|
Copyright 2006 STiMULi
Old 07-16-2006, 3:41 PM
Code 21, Status 7
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiMULi

While I don't doubt that big brother has used OnStar in that capacity, the guy sounds a bit like the tinfoil hat-type.
Old 07-16-2006, 3:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

From looking at the antenna from the outside, it appears to be a combination GPS/Cellular antenna. It would be interesting to know where the cable terminates and if they use one cable into a coupler or run two cables.

Gary
Old 07-16-2006, 3:50 PM

OnStar.... thank God I drive a 1970 Chevy.

http://openminds.net/onstar/ another interesting link about how to utilize the GPS tracking on a labtop!

Last edited by phil_smith; 07-16-2006 at 3:52 PM..
Old 07-16-2006, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiMULi
Thanks STiMULi. Some great info in the links on how to find and remove or at least disconnect.

My rant:
On the 2006's this thing communicates quite regularly with GM for vehicle status for everything from oil condition to vehicle speed. Whether you subscribe to their "special" e-mail notification service or not. I'd rather not have them suggest that a faulty part doesn't have warranty coverage because I went a day or two over my oil change date...Big Brother all the way.
Ok, enough rant from me...

As long as I can get it out without disabling anything else I'll be doing so.
And now that I know where the module is I'll have a place to power my scanner from and even an antenna hook up.

The picture in one of the links on how to find and remove the module shows one connector...GPS style.
If I could get a non-GM vehicle to do what I need to do then I'd be buying anything but GM...Or at least pre-OnStar.
And there's NOTHING wrong with a tin-foil hat...I own 2 LOL.

Last edited by wheelchair; 07-16-2006 at 3:56 PM..
Old 07-16-2006, 6:59 PM

I liked the fact that you could change the output to NMEA. If you can find a serial interface you can hook it up to your 996 or BCT15

The FBI had to sign a release to GM because the monitoring would disable the accident notification portion of the interface.

Look around and you will find info on a case it was used on. I think it was Mafia oriented

|
Copyright 2006 STiMULi
Old 07-17-2006, 12:04 AM

I remember seeing a webpage detailing how to extract the GPS data from the onstar module. That'd be one slick 996 install.

-Mike
Old 07-17-2006, 9:59 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

If you find an adaptor somewhere, let us know. I found the antenna cable for my OnStar antenna, but it looks to be a proprietary connector. I wasn't able to dig up an adaptor locally.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:44 AM

Cool OnStar Antenna

Shhhh..... Most GM owners think it's an antenna that is for the Onstar (GPS) satellite in space, and many discover that if you don't have cellphone service, Onstar doesn't work!

Onstar contracts with Verizon and most calls are analog. The cost per minute to talk to your kid by pushing the Onstar button is about twice as much as if you used your cellphone.

"Welcome to Onstar.....did you know your wallet is empty?"
www.TrafficAlertUSA.com
Old 07-17-2006, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutPost
Shhhh..... Most GM owners think it's an antenna that is for the Onstar (GPS) satellite in space, and many discover that if you don't have cellphone service, Onstar doesn't work!

Onstar contracts with Verizon and most calls are analog. The cost per minute to talk to your kid by pushing the Onstar button is about twice as much as if you used your cellphone.

"Welcome to Onstar.....did you know your wallet is empty?"

Actually, the new systems are digital. Bell Mobility is the theft partner in Canada. GM ad Bell recently were proud to announce that they now let you use your cell package minutes with your onstar...for only 20 bucks a month.

GM marketing should just start giving vehicles away for free. The catch being that you'd have to use GM brand gas at 200 bucks a gallon. Pretty much the same scam.

The pic I've seen of the antenna connector looks identical to the one on my Magellan Roadmate. I'll let everybody know what happens once I get to rippin it apart Wouldn't it just be perfect if the controls happened to be in a DIN mount --Oh to dream.
Old 07-18-2006, 9:45 PM

BAM! Here ya go: http://members.cox.net/onstar/

-Mike
Old 07-18-2006, 10:41 PM

Great find!!!

|
Copyright 2006 STiMULi
Old 07-19-2006, 7:49 AM

Use Lo-Jack to find a stolen car...On-Star should be off-Star
Old 07-19-2006, 12:29 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Contrary to popular belief or should I say, "paranoia", The government does'nt have the time, resources or inclination to monitor "On-Star" or any other private communications unless you give them a reason to! Besides... Why would someone use On-Star for any purpose that they would be worried about the Government finding out about? If you're that concerned, drive a Kia or a Mazda! Unless your name is Osama or Muhammed and you wear a towel on your head & drive a camel, I don't think you have much to worry about!
Old 07-19-2006, 3:48 PM

Disregard.
Reconsidered my response and have decided that it was a little too grumpy and fell well within the if you can't say something nice category...Undoubtedly heat related.

Last edited by wheelchair; 07-19-2006 at 4:20 PM..