RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Tavern Archives

Tavern Archives Archive of all posts in the Tavern. We will periodically archive old posts here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2006, 11:57 PM

Question Flashing traffic lights...what are they?

Over the past several years, I've been seeing more and more traffic lights that emit a silver flash of light every few seconds when the light is red. I've often wondered what the significance of this flash is but I have yet to find anyone who knows. One person told me that they're cameras to catch people going through red lights, but I'm not sure if I'm convinced. I've searched for information on the internet and much to my amazement, found absolutely nothing. It just dawned on me that perhaps someone here might know since I know that some of you are involved with traffic enforcement. Any information you can provide is appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 10-10-2006, 11:59 PM

This is not authoritative by any means but I've seen them and my belief has always been that they are to get your attention from a distance- hey - the light is red up here so slow down now....

Of course, I''ll be interested if the message I'm getting from them is correct....

Standing by.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Not Posting

Just to get your attention at dangerous intersections.

Not cameras.
Old 10-11-2006, 1:07 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

As N_Jay stated, they may be used to get your attention.

However, intersections with red light cameras have a large flash element, but that should only go off when someone runs the red. There are known problems with these units flashing intermittently though (when no picture is being taken).
Old 10-11-2006, 3:23 AM

There are thousands of these in high fog areas at major intersections in the mountain areas. Just like the strobe atop a school bus. you may not be able to see the red flashing lights, but the strobe will cut through fog like a knife.
rcvmo
Sponsored links
Old 10-11-2006, 7:49 AM
Pennsylvania DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxMan1986
Over the past several years, I've been seeing more and more traffic lights that emit a silver flash of light every few seconds when the light is red. I've often wondered what the significance of this flash is but I have yet to find anyone who knows. One person told me that they're cameras to catch people going through red lights, but I'm not sure if I'm convinced. I've searched for information on the internet and much to my amazement, found absolutely nothing. It just dawned on me that perhaps someone here might know since I know that some of you are involved with traffic enforcement. Any information you can provide is appreciated.

In my part of the world, these enhanced red lights have begun showing up in high congestion areas or areas where there are a lot of distractions coming up to the intersection. As traffic lights are upgraded and replaced, more of these reds with strobes are showing up. I'm sure the crazier folk probably believe these strobes have been set by big brother to flash at a certain rate so as to brainwash the masses with mind control. Me, I just think they're there to make dangerous intersections safer.

The white lights that may be mounted near a traffic signal are for the Opticom traffic preemption system used by many emergency vehicles around the country. It sure has gotten less stressful riding the fire truck through the sections of town that have had these installed. These white lights only activate when they receive the signal from the emitter mounted on the emergency vehicle. All lights will turn red except for the light favoring the approaching emergency vehicle. I have spoken to people before who thought these things were "red light cameras".

Last edited by benrussellpa; 10-11-2006 at 7:56 AM..
Old 10-11-2006, 11:25 AM

1. Opticom lights
2. Red Light Cameras
3. LED lights appear to flash a bright light when they have a change in power level ( I have been told) I have seen the 'flash" on the new LED traffic lights.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Not Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio10-8
1. Opticom lights
2. Red Light Cameras
3. LED lights appear to flash a bright light when they have a change in power level ( I have been told) I have seen the 'flash" on the new LED traffic lights.
OK, time for a reading test.

1. No, those are separate white lights that blink, not "emit a silver flash"
2. Nope, those are not in the "traffic lights:, they are mounted with the camera.
3. Again, you may see a shift in brightness, but not a "silver flash of light every few seconds"
Old 10-11-2006, 1:11 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Everything is just about right in this post. And NJay is def. right. The silver strobe around the edge of the lights is just to get your attention.
Uniden: Home Patrol * BCD-396XT * BCD-996T * SC230
Sponsored links
Old 10-11-2006, 9:55 PM

Around here we have small flashing lights that face away from the red light, so that the police officer sitting on the opposite side of the intersection can tell when someone runs the light.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The first place I have seen these red lights with the horizontal line of flashing white LED's is here in Alabama. I haven't seen any with the white LED's around the circumference of the red light. They are always a single light hung apart from the main traffic signal. No one here seems to know the exact criteria for placing these lights but they seem to be for intersections where the sight visibility is poor or when transitioning from a higher to a much lower speed zone. They were actually quite distracting to me when I first moved here since they look like a flashing red light from a distance. But, like everything else in Alabama, you eventually get used to strange things.
Old 10-12-2006, 8:44 AM

Around here they tend to use the strobes out in rural areas where you may have been driving 60 for a half hour and then come to a busy intersection (crossroads, town, etc.) where you suddenly encounter a traffic light. It will get your attention for sure.

I have seen them in the big cities too, in the cluttered areas.
Old 10-12-2006, 9:03 AM
Trailer Park Supervisor
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR2401
The first place I have seen these red lights with the horizontal line of flashing white LED's is here in Alabama. I haven't seen any with the white LED's around the circumference of the red light. They are always a single light hung apart from the main traffic signal. No one here seems to know the exact criteria for placing these lights but they seem to be for intersections where the sight visibility is poor or when transitioning from a higher to a much lower speed zone. They were actually quite distracting to me when I first moved here since they look like a flashing red light from a distance. But, like everything else in Alabama, you eventually get used to strange things.
Another vote for odd Alabama lights. We have an interesection with the a red light with white LED's around it in Summerdale. There is also a strobe on there as well. This is in a very busy rural intersection where fog is hella bad and many wrecks accour because of it. It definately helps.
Group Owner - South Alabama Scan
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southalabamascan/
Old 10-12-2006, 9:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Another variant is the horizontal strobe within the red light.
Old 10-13-2006, 8:21 AM

Sorry for not passing the reading test, I was too busy helping Landon install some strobes on the catering truck and street signs in his room. I was only trying to offer what i thought could be possible answers to the question. I have yet to see this "silver" flash on the west coast. I travel through California, AZ, Nevada on a weekly basis. If anyone has seen them in these states please let me know and I'll take a trip off course to see them. Thanks..and for the record that was not me in the magenta helicopter. Mine is black.
Sponsored links
Old 10-13-2006, 9:45 AM

Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM

In my area there is/was a dangerous intersection like N_Jay talks about. This traffic light now has a steady, very bright, piercing type of blue light that looks like it pierces out of the traffic light.

It's hard to explain, but it does grab your attention of the traffic light its self.

It's actually kind of pretty. Oh look at the pretty light......CRASH!

POLICING THE POLICE
Old 10-13-2006, 10:44 AM

Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM

This site looks interesting.

http://www.globalsources.com/manufac...ic-Light/0.htm

Further research leads me to believe that what I mention is of blue InGaN (indium gallium nitride) and could be an inverted type of LED.

POLICING THE POLICE

Last edited by poltergeisty; 10-13-2006 at 10:47 AM..
Old 10-13-2006, 1:10 PM
Trailer Park Supervisor
Database Admin

Angry

Quote:
Sorry for not passing the reading test, I was too busy helping Landon install some strobes on the catering truck and street signs in his room. I was only trying to offer what i thought could be possible answers to the question. I have yet to see this "silver" flash on the west coast. I travel through California, AZ, Nevada on a weekly basis. If anyone has seen them in these states please let me know and I'll take a trip off course to see them. Thanks..and for the record that was not me in the magenta helicopter. Mine is black.
Thanks for making me spit coke on my laptop.....
Group Owner - South Alabama Scan
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southalabamascan/
Old 10-14-2006, 2:13 AM

Well have I got news for ya'll, just a couple nights ago the Mayor of
Baton Rouge had announced that the city is going to put those cameras at the intersections to catch people who try to run red lights. so instead of having police officers stationed at intersections
the camera will take a picture of the vehicles running the red light
and the ticket will be mailed. However the city cannot install where
state road intersct with parish (county for those who are not from
Louisiana) because the state legislature a couple of years ago
told the city that they could place them on state highways that intersect with parish roads
Old 10-14-2006, 2:18 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
You failed to answer the question that inquiring minds want to know:

Did you program his HT for him? 8-)