The RadioReference.com Forums

The RadioReference.com Forums (http://forums.radioreference.com/)
-   Tavern Archives (http://forums.radioreference.com/tavern-archives/)
-   -   Incident News Alert? (http://forums.radioreference.com/tavern-archives/60641-incident-news-alert.html)

rdale 02-10-2007 12:53 PM

What I'm saying is that this is a breaking news service... You want to know about the incidents and any major events that occur with it, a LARGE majority of users would unsubscribe if they also sent out end-of-event messages. What value is there in such a message?

DJSCHAEFERSTL 02-10-2007 3:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdale
What I'm saying is that this is a breaking news service... You want to know about the incidents and any major events that occur with it, a LARGE majority of users would unsubscribe if they also sent out end-of-event messages. What value is there in such a message?

AGREED!

TXFirefighter112 02-10-2007 3:59 PM

See my previous post about cost. Now occaisionally you will get a page that says the fire is out, but it will always have some more information than just "it's over." Besides, everyone knows that the majority of 1 alms are over and all units cleared in 1 hour anyway.

Another thing is that people want to know where the fire trucks are going...not where they are coming back from.

boy_ryan22 02-10-2007 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXFirefighter112
Besides, everyone knows that the majority of 1 alms are over and all units cleared in 1 hour anyway.

Geeze, Your department need to learn how fight fires better. 1st alam here and theyve got the fire knocked down within 15 minutes.

car2back 02-10-2007 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boy_ryan22
Geeze, Your department need to learn how fight fires better. 1st alam here and theyve got the fire knocked down within 15 minutes.

Uhhh... easy there Chief. just because it may be under control in 15 minutes, doesn't mean the call is over. Overhaul sucks!

TXFirefighter112 02-11-2007 1:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil_smith
Uhhh... easy there Chief. just because it may be under control in 15 minutes, doesn't mean the call is over. Overhaul sucks!

Exactly. You gotta have the fire OUT completely, overhaul done, inspector/investigator look at it, owners/residents set up with somewhere to stay, and the building secured from idiot kids that think it would be a good idea to crawl around in a potentially unstable structure.

DJSCHAEFERSTL 02-11-2007 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXFirefighter112
Exactly. You gotta have the fire OUT completely, overhaul done, inspector/investigator look at it, owners/residents set up with somewhere to stay, and the building secured from idiot kids that think it would be a good idea to crawl around in a potentially unstable structure.

15mins! If all that can be done in 15 mins Im coming to move to your area because you have the best FD in the world! hehe!

poltergeisty 02-11-2007 1:57 PM

Without wading through all the posts, I have a question.

Can you receive an incident page to a instant messager?

I don't see why not because Yahoo, MSN and AIM use "E-mail" address, but ICQ uses a number. Like to have it deliverable to ICQ because ICQ in its self is like a IM pager. :)

boy_ryan22 02-11-2007 5:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poltergeisty
Without wading through all the posts, I have a question.

Can you receive an incident page to a instant messager?

I don't see why not because Yahoo, MSN and AIM use "E-mail" address, but ICQ uses a number. Like to have it deliverable to ICQ because ICQ in its self is like a IM pager. :)

No, I am pretty sure thats not possible. But you can just use an E-mail notifyer. Something that pops up in your window and says "Youve got Mail!"

ResQguy 02-11-2007 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdale
Are you saying with 1rwn you have to pick parts of a state instead of counties/cities? That sounds like overkill...

That is an incorrect statement. 1RWN subscribers can select to receive alerts specific to any city, county, or state, in addition to what type of alert. If you just want alerts for "Working Fires" in "Paterson,NJ", and nothing else, thats what you get. Every city in every state can be selected individually. The only time you would be restricted to larger geographic areas is if you have the old maildrop pager service without an email address. This is 2007, technology has progressed a bit.

rdale 02-11-2007 10:58 PM

That makes more sense, I was just basing in on the quoted post which did not indicate that was possible with 1rwn

boy_ryan22 02-28-2007 3:05 PM

www.incidentnewsalerts.com Is almost a replica of 1rwn. I have seen both sites and they both have the same incident catagories. The same Guidelines. The layout is almost the same.... Same chat room. Looks like someone is a 1rwn reject.

INA has also decided to remove itself from partnership with IBN (www.incidentbroadcast.com). They have taken all the rejects from IBN and made their own teamspeak server. its pretty funny. They dont have any listeners so they are flooding IBN with messages telling people to listen to their teamspeak server. (Now you know why I call them "IBN's rejects") Not the most mature group. I expect INA to crash & burn hard.

TXFirefighter112 02-28-2007 4:25 PM

Quote:

www.incidentnewsalerts.com Is almost a replica of 1rwn. I have seen both sites and they both have the same incident catagories. The same Guidelines. The layout is almost the same.... Same chat room. Looks like someone is a 1rwn reject.

INA has also decided to remove itself from partnership with IBN (www.incidentbroadcast.com). They have taken all the rejects from IBN and made their own teamspeak server. its pretty funny. They dont have any listeners so they are flooding IBN with messages telling people to listen to their teamspeak server. (Now you know why I call them "IBN's rejects") Not the most mature group. I expect INA to crash & burn hard.

And through it all, IPN will still be going strong.

Jeffn8wb 02-28-2007 5:33 PM

Actually IBN decided they wanted to pull out after having several of their members called out on sending poorly worded pages. They didn't like the fact that they were being corrected, so they took their ball and left. It even states that they were the one that wanted to part ways on their website.

As for similar chat rooms, I can't really say much for that as I'm haven't seen 1rwn's system. But if you have been in the dispatch room in the past week several changes and improvements have been made. I doubt that they look anything alike now.

Quote:

VEGASBUFF 02-28-2007 5:53 PM

Post has been deleted by VEGASBUFF

landonjensen 02-28-2007 11:58 PM

so
besides incidentnewalerts.com, what are some other paging sites?

TXFirefighter112 03-01-2007 12:09 AM

http://www.incidentpage.net

Been with them for over 4 years now, have yet to be disappointed. Granted there are the occasional slips of a call being sent to the wrong category by new guys every now and then, but everyone learns and seeks to improve themselves and the service as a whole. Of course if you are in an area where you happen to be the only dispatcher, then this is still a good thing to get involved in because you are able to find out about things going on elsewhere around the world...say you're grandma's town in Phoenix while you live in Indianapolis. Of course there are the major things that happen as well such as 9/11 that you'd certainly like to know about but can't always have a TV or radio nearby, which is why having it sent to your cell phone is very handy.

Support@incidentpage.net if anyone would like to know more about the services provided, becoming a dispatcher or the diverse customer base.