RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Tavern Archives

Tavern Archives Archive of all posts in the Tavern. We will periodically archive old posts here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2004, 3:56 PM

Default Scanner Magazines

some one needs to make one of these magazines, for god's sake they have everthing else i would love to go down to my local store and just pick one up
Old 11-27-2004, 4:05 PM

Monitoring Times, Popular Communications, USA Scanning, National Communications already exist.
Old 11-27-2004, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPO703
Monitoring Times, Popular Communications, USA Scanning, National Communications already exist.
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/
http://www.popular-communications.com/
http://www.scanningusa.com/
http://www.nat-com.org/
And I subscribe to all of those too. All good choices.
Pet peeve- the local news stand/book stores get Pop Comm and others in about a week or two before the same issue gets to my mailbox. Reason? The answer I was given by a magazine publisher after calling to complain about the lag time was that the book store/ news stands get heir stock shiped at first class level while my home delivery is shipped out at bulk rate level. So while my subscription copy of Pop Com is sitting in some mail sorting facility halfway across the country being given the same priority as a Land's End catalog the retailer is signing for a stack of the same issue being dropped off by the UPS brown truck.
Old 11-27-2004, 8:08 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I used to get the RCMA newsletter from 1979 until they went under some years ago. It was full of good scanning information. I always looked forward to the next issue. In this day and age, the internet has changed all that, making much more data available all the time, and without the magazine lag time.
Old 12-12-2004, 7:48 AM

Default scanner magazines

I agree. While I still pick up the occasional MT or PopComm, my first inclination is to get on the 'net and try to find my information. And this site is one of the best I have found (shameless plug 8) )
Old 12-12-2004, 12:57 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

But magazines can have feature articles on various things, like San Antonio feature in the current issue of Monitoring Times, or antenna construction. You're less likely to find these more in-depth items on the web.

Too many people seem to take an either/or attitude to things. Example: radio programming, either you program your scanner manually or you use a computer. Learn to do both, and use the best method at the time. Don't limit yourselves! Use all the resources available. So even though I heavily use the internet resources, I still buy PoliceCall every year, and read/subscribe to Monitoring Times, Popular Communications and Scanning USA.

My two cents.
Mark S.
And the cool, green hills of Earth.

-Robert A. Heinlein-
Old 12-12-2004, 11:24 PM

I do tend to use all available resources. If I see an interesting article in a magazine I will purchase it; similarly if I find some useful or interesting info on the net I will bookmark it for follow-up. As for topics such as antenna design, I will trust my ARRL handbook.

As for programming radios, I have done it both ways; the PRO-83 I bought two weeks ago was programmed by hand (once you know how to program an RS scanner, you never forget ) while I use ARC 1.51 on my AOR8000. Its all in what you need to do to get where you want to go. I'm just more inclined to look on the internet for information before I drive to the store to get a magazine - YMMV. At the same time, I have scads of back issues of MT and PopComm that I can reference. And I am *finally* going to go to HRO this next weekend and pick up the new SWFD!

Like I said, whichever path you take, it will eventually get you there...