RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Tavern Archives

Tavern Archives Archive of all posts in the Tavern. We will periodically archive old posts here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 12:15 AM

Question Encryption scanners

Hi when trunking first came about it took awhile to create a scanner that can track trunking. Then the next generation was digital. It took a couple years to get a scanner that can track digital transmissions.

Now my question is:

Do you think they will ever come out with a scanner that can track encrypted transmissions?

I think we have a right to listin to police with encryption but make it able to block out the government transmissions. Make it illegal to listin to the gov't. and homeland security transmissions.
Sponsored links
††††††††
Old 04-12-2007, 12:26 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

It will never happen legally.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:47 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsecivic2002
Hi when trunking first came about it took awhile to create a scanner that can track trunking. Then the next generation was digital. It took a couple years to get a scanner that can track digital transmissions.

Now my question is:

Do you think they will ever come out with a scanner that can track encrypted transmissions?

I think we have a right to listin to police with encryption but make it able to block out the government transmissions. Make it illegal to listin to the gov't. and homeland security transmissions.
Nope not gonna happen. Once an agency encrypts you should find something else to listen too. That is the reason why they encrypt so we can't listen. Sorry, and yes it is illegal to intentionally decode encrypted signals.

P.J.

GRE PSR-200U,RS Pro-163, Icom IC-3001 VHF and IC-4001 UHF
Old 04-12-2007, 1:58 AM

How many times does this question have to be asked and in how many different threads?

NO, there will NEVER be a scanner developed to follow encryption.

The ONLY thing you have a RIGHT to
Quote:
listin
to is you own voice!
Old 04-12-2007, 2:03 AM

Yeah, let’s yell at them! That'll help, people are gonna ask questions more than once. Get over it, I think I argued with you last time... nice to see you again. Maybe he's new, maybe he didn't know that question has been asked a zillion times. If you're just going to say something negative to someone’s question, why even post? Someone else will gladly answer it. Again, this is why this website exists... to answer question, inform each other yada, yada.

Last edited by denseglow; 04-12-2007 at 2:06 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 04-12-2007, 2:16 AM

Quote:
...make it illegal to listin to the gov't. and homeland security transmissions.
It's already illegal to listen to the government's encrypted communications: On Federal, State, and local levels.
Old 04-12-2007, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denseglow
Yeah, letís yell at them! That'll help, people are gonna ask questions more than once. Get over it, I think I argued with you last time... nice to see you again. Maybe he's new, maybe he didn't know that question has been asked a zillion times. If you're just going to say something negative to someoneís question, why even post? Someone else will gladly answer it. Again, this is why this website exists... to answer question, inform each other yada, yada.
and this contributes to the question/thread in what manner? Maybe you should heed you own advice and move along if you can't stick to the question.
Old 04-12-2007, 5:48 AM
Not Posting

Maybe with a join date of May 2005 we can ASSUME he has seen at least ONE other thread like the one he started?

Maybe with a statement like;
Quote:
I think we have a right to listin to police with encryption .. .
we can ASSUME he is just stirring the mud.

Old 04-12-2007, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyC
How many times does this question have to be asked and in how many different threads?

NO, there will NEVER be a scanner developed to follow encryption.

The ONLY thing you have a RIGHT to to is you own voice!
So far !!!!
WIN97, WIN500
Sponsored links
Old 04-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Not Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
So far !!!!

You don't get it do you??

Encryption is not simple "encoding"!
Old 04-12-2007, 5:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Read it again.

He could be referring to "SO FAR, it's still legal to listen to your own voice".

I have an idea. Let's declare ourselves all perfect and close all forums since we all know everything already.

Old 04-12-2007, 7:47 PM
Not Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancow
Read it again.

He could be referring to "SO FAR, it's still legal to listen to your own voice".
Hmmm?

I guess he could have meant it that way.

If he did I apologize, if he did not, my comment stands.
Old 04-12-2007, 9:08 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Moved to the tavern as the subject doesn't really belong anywhere where it hasn't been covered many times; the ASTRO forum being the last place for it.

So have at it folks!
Please follow the forum rules and contact a moderator directly, not via a thread.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:17 PM

I have no problem with police transmissions being encrypted. However, I think fire/rescue systems should be open to public listening.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:21 PM

How about a scanner that decodes Pig Latin??? That's what the local PD uses here for encryption.
Sponsored links
Old 04-12-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogcat
How about a scanner that decodes Pig Latin??? That's what the local PD uses here for encryption.
Ouch!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogcat
In some cases Pig Latin can be just as good as encryption! haha
Old 04-12-2007, 11:58 PM

Even if it were legal, there are way too many ways to encrypt transmissions to make it feasable, unless the scanner comes equipped with a CRAY computer.
Old 04-13-2007, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpckty1
Even if it were legal, there are way too many ways to encrypt transmissions to make it feasable, unless the scanner comes equipped with a CRAY computer.
Assuming we aren't talking about costs of encryption capabilities for the less than fortunate agencies...

Over-the-air rekeying of radios every 4 or 5 days. (may sound overdone, but gets the job done). There is a great feature of the encryption in itself.

There are other things which can be added to the rekeying and encryption but I dont want this thread being closed haha
Old 04-13-2007, 4:16 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Yeah you GO HogCat....man I've driven through your area and copied me some of that public safety pig latin myself ! Hey... neat little town....Don't miss the Cornbread and Poultry Stuffing Festival in September.

Well about all we got is to hire a Beaver to break in, or break into your targeted agencies' police car yourself, and swipe the radio. Then, as long as the rig/system isn't GPS trackable or can be remotely disabled.....you'll have you your encypted radio for sure there good buddy.

Or....you can stop whining for a gimme', a scanner that you can just go out and buy with money. 'Cause that certainly isn't the American way....and get into electronics and computer science and stuff and crack their friggin' encyption or otherwise learn how to decode the signal...and incorporate this modification into that squawkbox you picked up at Radio Shack. So that's the other way. Oooh oooh oooh wait... we almost forgot about the corporate infiltration. Yeah....now Beavers won't do that but you could do whatever to get into a Motorola plant or something and may be able to loot some good encryption things. It's possible.

When Beavers speak: ....................trees listen !!

Last edited by ReceiverBeaver; 04-13-2007 at 4:23 PM..