RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Tavern Archives

Tavern Archives Archive of all posts in the Tavern. We will periodically archive old posts here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2007, 4:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default What's wrong with the USPS tracking site?

I buy lots of things over the internet, and they get shipped to me variously via FedEx, UPS, and the USPS. Both FedEx and UPS have good internet package tracking sites, they both show you details of your packages' progress on its journey. But the USPS site, that's something else. Whenever I am shipped something via the USPS and given the tracking number, I enter it and get this message:

"The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on xxxx xx, 2007 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later."

The problem is, this message never, ever changes or updates. From the time the package is shipped to the time I finally receive it, all I get is this same message if I go to their web site and enter the tracking number.

The question is, why? What good is a tracking number if this same message is all you ever see? What am I missing here?
Old 05-01-2007, 4:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I feel your pain. I've been waiting on a package for a week now and this is all I get from the USPS tracking:

"Your shipment was accepted/picked up at 9:43 AM on April 24, 2007 in OLD FORGE, PA 18518 . "

You may be a master debater, but I'm quite the cunning linguist.
Old 05-01-2007, 5:25 PM

USPS is NO good for delivering packages..
Once I waited for a package to be delivered by them, but could never rely on their website to tell me when to expect the package. So I waited it out.... I ended up waiting and waiting some more until I finally got off my arse and called the place that shipped the package. They called USPS who told them they tried to deliver the package and it has been sitting in the mail facility close to my house... So why the hell didn't USPS leave me something to tell me they attempted to make the delivery?? Because USPS can only be trusted to deliver paper mail, not packages...
Old 05-01-2007, 5:32 PM

Thumbs down Messed up !

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4KRR
I buy lots of things over the internet, and they get shipped to me variously via FedEx, UPS, and the USPS. Both FedEx and UPS have good internet package tracking sites, they both show you details of your packages' progress on its journey. But the USPS site, that's something else. Whenever I am shipped something via the USPS and given the tracking number, I enter it and get this message:

"The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on xxxx xx, 2007 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later."

The problem is, this message never, ever changes or updates. From the time the package is shipped to the time I finally receive it, all I get is this same message if I go to their web site and enter the tracking number.

The question is, why? What good is a tracking number if this same message is all you ever see? What am I missing here?
It's like ANYTHING ELSE the Federal Gov't gets involved in. It's SCREWED UP !!!!
Steve/Gallia
Old 05-01-2007, 5:37 PM

I've found that packages shipped Priority Mail are pretty reliably delivered. That aside, the tracking number is in fact useless. I have a package on the way now and just as you say it's useless. In fact they don't call it a tracking number, they call it a confirmation number. Pretty sad actually.

Gary
Sponsored links
Old 05-01-2007, 7:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys
I've found that packages shipped Priority Mail are pretty reliably delivered. That aside, the tracking number is in fact useless. I have a package on the way now and just as you say it's useless. In fact they don't call it a tracking number, they call it a confirmation number. Pretty sad actually.

Gary
So basically, that number just says, "yeah, we got your package here" and that's about it.
Old 05-01-2007, 7:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Had a package sent to me one time that said it was delivered. Looked all around the house and couldn't find anything. I decided I would wait until the mail was delivered the next day before I would call them. Sure enough it was delivered the next day. As said before their tracking is useless.
Old 05-01-2007, 7:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The problem with USPS tracking is that they do not update the site frequently. I will check the site hourly looking to see when a package is delivered to my PO Box. Then at some late hour (9pm) it will suddenly state "your package was delivered at 11am today". Absolutely useless.
Old 05-01-2007, 7:39 PM
Not Posting

You might be confusing a "Delivery Conformation Number", with a "Tracking Number". The Post Office offers both services. More often than not, you're dealing with a Delivery Conformation Number.

We have an account with the Post Office, and between the wife, and I, we've shipped well over 2,000 packages using U.S. Priority Mail. They have never lost anything. Maybe a total of five packages took longer than 2~3 days. We only had one package damaged in shipping. I have no complaints with them.
Sponsored links
Old 05-01-2007, 8:16 PM

USPS sucks any way you look at it. I ship UPS and never had a problem.
Old 05-01-2007, 8:31 PM

I just used USPS to ship an item to Brazil. The service I used tracked it every step along the way, and even told me when it was in Customs. No complaints, never any problems.
Old 05-01-2007, 9:02 PM

Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM

FEDEX!!!

POLICING THE POLICE
Old 05-02-2007, 3:35 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Mrs Beaver works at the PO.....chewing on things mostly.....but hey, you can take a Beaver into a Post Office but you can't take the Beaver out of a Beaver.

So here's what they do around here. The carriers have a handheld scanner with them. They scan the box at the time of delivery at your home, or the same day they stick it in your po box. All the day's scannings are transmitted forward at the end of the day and at the same time. There will only be an initial accepted scan and a final delivery scan. No tracking in between along the way. Safest, surest method is Registered Mail. Is kept locked in various containers during all transports. Receiver has to sign for item. Costs more...duh.

Yep....they certainly should construct a point-to-point tracking system like the other guys have.

I also will use UPS with few problems and have my own personal account. Good reminder time for everyone that having your own account is the only way to go if you ship much at all....or even just occasionally. Only requirement is being 18 and have a way to pay your bill such as a checking account or credit card. Ship at home and print out your own label. All on their main site, no software required. Averages about 30% cheaper than taking to a UPS Store ect.....but you may drop off your boxes at a UPS Store or any other affiliated shipping outlet.
Old 05-02-2007, 4:12 PM
Not Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReceiverBeaver
So here's what they do around here. The carriers have a handheld scanner with them. They scan the box at the time of delivery at your home, or the same day they stick it in your po box. All the day's scannings are transmitted forward at the end of the day and at the same time. There will only be an initial accepted scan and a final delivery scan. No tracking in between along the way. Safest, surest method is Registered Mail. Is kept locked in various containers during all transports. Receiver has to sign for item. Costs more...duh.

Is this a recent change? I was pretty certain they did offer actual progress tracking at one time. Maybe not.
Old 05-02-2007, 4:13 PM

yeah, it sucks, I got yelled at by a customer because his 'confirmation' said 'the shipper has printed a label, we have not recieved the package yet'..

The guy got his package, and it STILL said I hadn't sent the package....

The next day, it says the package was delivered (without them even touching it, apparently ).
Sponsored links
Old 05-02-2007, 4:22 PM
Not Posting

Well it still boils down to people, and not so much the companies themselves. Apparently if the Post Office only offers delivery conformation, then for the most part, they're doing that correctly. But there will always be mistakes, and exceptions.

RR has had similar debates over UPS, and FedEx in the past. There are many factors that can influence shipping performance. I think a lot has to do with the point of shipment, and the delivery destination. Some companies cover certain areas better than others. I don't think there is one that is 100% across the board. For about two years, every package I received from UPS was severely damaged. Now for the last three years they have been perfect. FedEx is pretty good overall, with an occasional late delivery for no apparent reason.
Old 05-02-2007, 7:19 PM

Cool

I sold my scanner on Ebay and shipped it USPS Priority Insured. I got a tracking number but couldnt pull up anything on the website. My buyer was getting impatient he hadnt recieved his package so I decided to call the post office. They told me since my package was insured for $200 they were the only ones that was able to track the package. So I had her track the package and it was recieved in his home city that morning. So its not the fact that the site is broke its just some of the packages can only be tracked by the post office because of the amount it is insured for. I know this doesnt make a whole lot of sense but this is what I was told by my local PostMaster.
Old 05-02-2007, 7:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ditto on totally worthless. Are you reading this USPS???

Useless
Sorry
Postal
Service
Pro-37,Pro-43,Pro-2004(400 CH),BC-235XLT,BC245-XLT,BCD-396T,Yaesu FT8800R
Old 05-03-2007, 5:17 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The original web site info that I first posted has now updated to say that my package has been delivered. But of course I now know that.

I guess my whole point was that both UPS and FedEx have more detailed and frequently updated tracking information than the USPS does. But for the record, I have never really had much of a problem with delivery from any of these services. I just prefer UPS because they will leave the package if I'm not home, which FedEx usually won't do. They will usually tag my front door if they attempt to deliver when I'm not home, which then forces me to take a trip to the local hub after work to pick it up.
Old 05-03-2007, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz0468
I just used USPS to ship an item to Brazil. The service I used tracked it every step along the way, and even told me when it was in Customs. No complaints, never any problems.
What was the service you used to track USPS all the way? I have not found it.