RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Tavern Archives

Tavern Archives Archive of all posts in the Tavern. We will periodically archive old posts here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007, 9:16 PM

Question fire trucks get blue lights ?

When did fire trucks get blue lights ? I thought all EMS and fire are red and white and only police are blue and red?

Whats with blue lights?

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3656/blue2kt7.jpg

This how it was.
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7506/red2an2.jpg
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2007, 9:20 PM

varies from state to state & city to city. For example, in Oklahoma all emergency vehicles run red & blues, no POVs get lights.
Old 10-15-2007, 9:21 PM

Depends on the jurisdiction. New York state law stated that police vehicles needed only red lights. It was changed recently and now police vehicles need red and blue rear-facing.

Also in NYS blue is usually used for a volunteer firefighter...never actually seen anything other then red on a apparatus though.
Old 10-15-2007, 9:22 PM

It all depends on what the state has on the books about emergency lights.
Old 10-15-2007, 9:24 PM

It varies from state to state. Plenty of fire apparatus have blue lights on them, and have for a very long time.
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2007, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeep
Depends on the jurisdiction. New York state law stated that police vehicles needed only red lights. It was changed recently and now police vehicles need red and blue rear-facing.

Also in NYS blue is usually used for a volunteer firefighter...never actually seen anything other then red on a apparatus though.
No, they're not REQUIRED to have rear facing blue, they're ALLOWED to have rear facing blue. Big difference.

There are plenty of fire apparatus in NYS that have blue lights, legal or not.
Old 10-15-2007, 9:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

If we're talking about a broader view, then many pieces of fire apparatus have only blue lights. That's primarily outside of the US, though.
Old 10-15-2007, 9:43 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Hey nec, check this thread out:http://www.radioreference.com/forums...ad.php?t=83896 Hoser
Old 10-15-2007, 9:48 PM

Default Whats next?

I can only imagine that nec208's next thread will come about when he surfs around and finds some photos of NON-RED (or slime-lime) firetrucks and has to deal with the shock and horror of it all. And God forbid if they are from a volly non-metro Dept that may have a longer than 6 min response time! Or if their ladders can't reach above the 15 floor of a highrise! And all this compounded by running lights that aren't all RED!

I have to plead guilty on all counts. My first out Engine is white with a green roof and green/yellow striping. We are an all volly Dept that does at times have response times over 6 mins, due to a combination of staffing and longer distance runs. I am also sad to report that that Engine's 35' ladder will only reach about 35'. And I hang my head in shame as I tell you it sports red / white / yellow & green lights. Oh and by the way the speedometer in that Engine shows both MPH & KPH.

Sorry nec208, I have been reading your posts these last few days and just had to bust your stones a little.

Tri-State live feed http://delaware.pa.scanamerica.us/index.php
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2007, 9:53 PM

They have done studies and they say there is less MVA or MVC calls with red and blue than red and white.But the problem here is people think of fire truck red and with red lights even that yellow trucks and red and blue are 100% safer .All FD in Canada are red and white and in past they where red not blue this blue thing is new its bean on the news here in Toronto.And they want all cops to go to red and blue but not FD or EMS.Whe are starting to see more PD cars red and blue here in Peel and Toronto.

I don't understand why they want the FD and EMS to go blue even if its its 100% safer .It looks so strange to see blue.Anyone know the switch over to all FD and EMS in Canada and US is red and blue?

Now that this is on the news.

Last edited by nec208; 10-15-2007 at 10:04 PM..
Old 10-15-2007, 10:16 PM

Does POV stand for personally-owned vehicle?
Old 10-15-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nec208
They have done studies and they say there is less MVA or MVC calls with red and blue than red and white.But the problem here is people think of fire truck red and with red lights even that yellow trucks and red and blue are 100% safer .All FD in Canada are red and white and in past they where red not blue this blue thing is new its bean on the news here in Toronto.And they want all cops to go to red and blue but not FD or EMS.Whe are starting to see more PD cars red and blue here in Peel and Toronto.

I don't understand why they want the FD and EMS to go blue even if its its 100% safer .It looks so strange to see blue.Anyone know the switch over to all FD and EMS in Canada and US is red and blue?

I don't know about FD but EMS was included in the HTA amendment so ammbulances can have blue lights.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:25 PM

I seen in NY, NYSP w/ New low profile led bars w/ rear blue led

Also some ambulance/ fire truck have either a green or a blue light on top of them (including your red) to easily identify them in a crowd of emergency vehicles
Old 10-15-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1ronTL34
Does POV stand for personally-owned vehicle?
yes
Old 10-15-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nec208

If the standards in Canada are in fact changing and it has in fact been in the news as you have stated, then you would be better off getting accurate up to date info by researching these new standards as covered by your local news agencies. Rather than tossing out hard to understand questions here in the tavern read the news stories that you have referenced and you will have your answers.

Tri-State live feed http://delaware.pa.scanamerica.us/index.php
Sponsored links

Old 10-15-2007, 10:36 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7586
I seen in NY, NYSP w/ New low profile led bars w/ rear blue led

Also some ambulance/ fire truck have either a green or a blue light on top of them (including your red) to easily identify them in a crowd of emergency vehicles
7856 the ones with the green are considered Incident Command Vehicles........Good Scannin Hoser
Old 10-15-2007, 10:43 PM

Your right MOS

Hoser
Old 10-15-2007, 10:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I know many departments in the Chicago area have green and red lights sometimes. The horror...
Old 10-15-2007, 11:15 PM

Well this is what I want I want red , Not green or orange or any other color but red..

Like this is what a truck or the truck below should look like.
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/9193/rec4lv4.jpg

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/6349/ladder12im4.jpg

Get on the phone and do your campaign to keep it like the old old classic days !
Old 10-15-2007, 11:17 PM

I kind of like the green lights in Chicago ibagli...makes them stand out even more!