RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Tavern Archives

Tavern Archives Archive of all posts in the Tavern. We will periodically archive old posts here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2007, 5:11 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Adam-12 and KMA367

You know, I really enjoyed Adam-12, especially since it was based on real life incidents and had real or fairly real police radios, but I got a question.

I thought I basically knew everything there is to know about Adam-12, but there is still something I'm a tad curious about.

I know that KMA367 was in use as the system at the time, but my question is, anyone know exactly what frequencies they used then?

I mean, I see the frequencies on the FCC website, but does anyone know what frequency was Dispatch, which was Tac 1, which was Tac 2, and why did the radios have a channel that said not used?

Anyone think they know the answers to these?

Also, I didn't get to watch all of the Dragnet's, but they also used KMA367, no?

Also, were there programmable scanners then or just crystal? I noticed in a few episodes, they ran in to people with "police radios", they never called them "scanners" on the show.

EDIT: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=37

I see KMA367, but it says Tac 1 is hotshot calls, was that the dispatch channel? Also, what's all of these other Tacs? I only ever hear of Tac 1 and Tac 2. Though I can believe the others existed.

Last edited by RedPenguin; 12-24-2007 at 5:20 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 12-24-2007, 6:47 AM

RedPenguin,

Darn I'm getting lazy the closer it gets to Christmas. Anyway do a search through this forum and I believe you will find 95% of you questions answered. I know there was a thread on this (or about the show Emergency) a couple of months ago. You could also Google 'KMA367". I found a very interesting article on it in Wikipedia.

Considering that Jack Webb insisted on being as realistic as possible, I doubt that he would have used a fire call sign for Dragnet. But I don't recall. I can vaguely remember the radio panel with the call sign stuck to it with some embossing tape.

EDIT:
Yawn, I also just woke up. Emergency was KMG365 as the cobwebs slowly drift away and that was the thread. Google still might be a good source though. I just did one and there were 1,100 hits, including a kma367.com.

Last edited by LEH; 12-24-2007 at 6:51 AM..
Old 12-24-2007, 9:12 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default I think I found it

It looks like this site may have the answer.

http://www.geocities.com/n0ngl/qcscan/adam12.html

Only thing is, it doesn't give exact frequencies for dispatches, it just says they were between a frequency range based on division.

Is that all true?
Old 12-24-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPenguin
It looks like this site may have the answer.

http://www.geocities.com/n0ngl/qcscan/adam12.html

Only thing is, it doesn't give exact frequencies for dispatches, it just says they were between a frequency range based on division.

Is that all true?
Yep, the old frequencies are not being used any longer (at least by LAPD), so the exact ones may be mute. I am sure there are some long time LA resident scanner enthusiats who have them down in memory (the grey matter type) somewhere.

I went to the KMA367 site and it was nothing but a page with "KMA367". DUH.

I did scan a couple of other pages and there was some nice info, but no exact frequencies. I used to have (threw it away a year or so ago while house cleaning) an older copy of Police Call for California. I think the freqs then were in the UHF-T band though.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:48 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Harry Marnell has a good page about the history of LAPD radio communications
http://harrymarnell.com/kma367.htm
Sponsored links
Old 12-24-2007, 1:31 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default I already read it

I already read the history of the LAPD communications system but thanks for your reply.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Silent Key

As of 1972 Police Call Southern California Detail Edition:

Los Angeles Police Department:

Central - North Area
159.150 F 'A' - Base Dispatch (KMA367)
155.370 F4 - Central Division 1 Mobiles

Two frequency duplex system

Citywide tacticals:

154.830 F9 - Tac One
154.770 F6 - Tac Two

Having listened at the time, no matter what some sites may say, phonetics were never used that I ever heard in car designators. It was ALWAYS ' 1 A 10', never ' 1 Adam 10'. There was no actual unit '1 A 12'.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:55 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Lightbulb

Quote:
I know that KMA367 was in use as the system at the time, but my question is, anyone know exactly what frequencies they used then?
Yes.

Quote:
Anyone think they know the answers to these?
I think I know the answers to most of them, as I was there during and after the "Adam-12" era.

There were frequencies added, deleted, and changed in usage virtually every year, so it's difficult to give an exact answer here (or on the LAPD Communications History website). But
here's a list for late 1972, generally typical of what was use during the late 1960s through late 70s when UHF started coming in. There were five dispatch base "talk-out" frequencies,
lettered A through E, and about 20 divisional mobile "talk-in" frequencies numbered between 1 and 23. The "missing" numbers were special purpose freqs not used by patrol.

Here were the base/mobile combinations at that point (all mobile freqs were on license KMA367):

Freq "A" - 159.15 - KMA367 - Metro Area Talkout
Central F-4 155.370
Rampart F-22 154.965
Hollenbeck F-13 155.415
Northeast F-13 155.415
Hollywood F-1 155.130
Freq "B" - 158.91 - KMA367 - Metro Area Talkout
Newton Street F-2 155.250
Accident Investigation (metro area) F-5 154.89
Motors F-12 155.565
Motors F-15 155.19
Freq "C" - 159.18 - KMA786 - Metro Area Talkout
Southwest F-3 154.650
Harbor F-8 155.070
77th Street F-17 155.520
Citywide secondary F-8 155.07
Freq "D" - 159.03 - KMA787 - Valley Area Talkout
Van Nuys F-20 154.785
West Valley F-14 154.950
North Hollywood F-19 155.580
Foothill F-11 155.535
Devonshire F-23 154.995
Freq "E" - 158.865 - KMA785 - West Area Talkout
Wilshire F-10 154.710
West LA F-7 155.010
Venice F-18 155.55
Tactical:
Tac 1 F-9 - 154.83 - KMA367
Tac 2 F-6 - 154.77 - KGW725 (also "hotshots" which later moved to Tac 1)
Tac 3 F-24 - 156.15 - KMA367 (not in patrol car radios)

There were a number of other VHF and UHF frequencies installed in some detective and specialized vehicles' radios.

Quote:
why did the radios have a channel that said not used?
There was a plan to use the second channel (labeled "Simul") in many patrol car radios as a sort of "hotshot" channel, but it was never implemented.

Last edited by KMA367; 12-26-2007 at 2:15 PM.. Reason: Reformatted freq list for hopefully a little more clarity
Old 12-26-2007, 12:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipSanders
Having listened at the time, no matter what some sites may say, phonetics were never used that I ever heard in car designators. It was ALWAYS ' 1 A 10', never ' 1 Adam 10'.
Right Skip, that's generally true, though there were occasional exceptions used with most all unit letters, and a few that we always used the phonetic -

C - "Charlie" (parking/intersection control civilians)
D - "David" (support services)
E - "Edward" (traffic enforcement cars)
H - "Henry" (Technical Services)
S - "Sam" (parking/intersection control sworn officers)
V - "Victor" (divsional vice units)

I know, I'm being too picky
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2007, 12:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

How about the fire side of things from "Emergency"?
Old 12-26-2007, 5:47 PM
Analog is dead
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmarnell
Right Skip, that's generally true, though there were occasional exceptions used with most all unit letters, and a few that we always used the phonetic -

D - "David" (support services)

I know, I'm being too picky
Slightly off-topic, but still LAPD radio related:

Is the "70 David" and "80 David" ident's from the 2004 movie "SWAT" correct for the Metro Division SWAT commanders?

Last edited by stateboy; 12-26-2007 at 6:21 PM..
Old 12-26-2007, 6:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateboy
Slightly off-topic, but still LAPD radio related:

Is the "70 David" and "80 David" ident's from the 2004 movie "SWAT" correct for the Metro Division SWAT unit(s)?
Yup. LAPD's SWAT officers are part of the citywide "Metropolitan Division." Metro has three "crime suppression" platoons, B, C, and D, and the D platoon is also the SWAT team members.

Metro units all start with the letter "R" (a very old throwback to when Metro was called the Reserve Division); at LAPD, supervisors' unit numbers are all multiples of 10. So R70-David and R80-David would be Metro, supervisors, in D (SWAT) platoon.

Non-supervisor SWAT units would be like R21-David, R16-David, etc.

Metro's headquarters radio ID is "Control 1-1-4," which is another old tradition that they've been allowed to hold on to, from the 1960s, when their office was in Room 114 at police headquarters (now called Parker Center).

A lot of the radio stuff in that movie was pretty realistic.

Last edited by KMA367; 12-26-2007 at 7:15 PM..
Old 12-26-2007, 11:31 PM

when by grandfather walked the beat they used call boxes they dident have radios yet lol. just puttin in my 2 cents
Old 12-28-2007, 2:32 AM
Analog is dead
Database Admin

Quote:
Yup. LAPD's SWAT officers are part of the citywide "Metropolitan Division." Metro has three "crime suppression" platoons, B, C, and D, and the D platoon is also the SWAT team members.

Metro units all start with the letter "R" (a very old throwback to when Metro was called the Reserve Division); at LAPD, supervisors' unit numbers are all multiples of 10. So R70-David and R80-David would be Metro, supervisors, in D (SWAT) platoon.

Non-supervisor SWAT units would be like R21-David, R16-David, etc.

Metro's headquarters radio ID is "Control 1-1-4," which is another old tradition that they've been allowed to hold on to, from the 1960s, when their office was in Room 114 at police headquarters (now called Parker Center).

A lot of the radio stuff in that movie was pretty realistic.
Thanks for the info...

What are the B and C platoons?

Last edited by stateboy; 12-28-2007 at 2:34 AM..
Old 12-28-2007, 7:50 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateboy
Thanks for the info...

What are the B and C platoons?
B, C, and D platoons all do "saturation patrol" in high-crime areas, or concentrate on special problems anywhere in the city. D platoon officers just sort of do double-duty as SWAT team members as needed. B & C tend to work the busier times of the day, but there are always D-platoon units on duty 24/7 for SWAT call-ups. All three platoons are subject to being called in for major incidents or disasters, and have take-home cars with all their equipment so they can respond directly where needed without having to go to their station and pick up their stuff.

506.8375 is their main freq, and 484.5875 is secondary; offhand I don't remember their third "fallback" frequency, but they also pop up on the regular patrol frequencies when responding to calls they hear, or to run plates and people if their own dispatcher is busy or their freqs are restricted for some incident. They often respond to hot calls they hear broadcast, but they're not considered "dispatchable" units.

There are a couple other platoons within Metro; I believe "A" is their administrative people; also the K9 units are part of Metro as are the equestrian units.

OK, after typing all that I found their "homepage" - http://www.lapdonline.org/metropolit...asic_view/6360
Sponsored links
Old 12-29-2007, 7:55 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

"when by grandfather walked the beat they used call boxes they dident have radios yet lol."

Maybe about the time he retired they filmed He Walked By Night. For the unfamiliar you can download it and I guarantee you'll find it of great interest.

http://www.archive.org/index.php
Old 12-29-2007, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2vxa
"when by grandfather walked the beat they used call boxes they dident have radios yet lol."

Maybe about the time he retired they filmed He Walked By Night. For the unfamiliar you can download it and I guarantee you'll find it of great interest.

http://www.archive.org/index.php
well he got to see the radios emerge. he retired in 78 after almost 40 years of service
Old 12-30-2007, 3:19 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakekid313
well he got to see the radios emerge. he retired in 78 after almost 40 years of service
That's quite an achievement, especially considering that in his era LAPD officers were eligible to retire after 20 years of service, regardless of age. They reached maximum pension (70%, I believe) after 30 years. At the moment, LAPD's most senior officer is Sgt. John O'Toole, 80, a detective at Valley Traffic Division, who's got almost 54 years on the job.

Quote:
So R70-David and R80-David would be Metro, supervisors, in D (SWAT) platoon. Non-supervisor SWAT units would be like R21-David, R16-David, etc.
Slight correction on that: non-supervisory units don't use the "David" suffix, just R21, R16, whatever.

There was a barricaded suspect incident in North Hollywood Div Friday afternoon, and most traffic for responding SWAT officers was on 506.8375, mostly in the clear but some was encrypted. There were a couple messages from SWAT supervisors to their RTO (dispatcher) to "send that info out to the Blackberries, too." Once on scene they went to some other frequency I couldn't find. Simplex no doubt, and probably encrypted.