Cumberland County, Tn

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerbill

The local county commission that can not fund our schools, bought a new radio system. it is going on line now.

i have been a scanner listener for 26 years, and now they do a digital, trunking, apco eads p-25 w/ red racing stripes and bucket seats.

so my concern is what scanner to purchase? And can anybody tell me if the bought the optional encrypted sidewalls?

anybody know if it will be encrypted and what scanner i'll need?

n4yek

You can get a Uniden 396T Handheld, 996 mobile/base or from GRE the PSR 500 Handheld or 600 mobile/base, or from Radio Shack the 106 Handheld.
As for digital encryption, your out of luck if they use it. No scanner decodes it and on top of that it is illegal to decode encryption from law enforcement.
Uniden is fixing to release new versions of their scanners, so if you wait you can get the 396XT Handheld due out anytime now. The 996 replacement will probably be out near the end of the year in not later.

Last edited:

cumbcoradio

rangerbill

The funding for that program was passed 2 years ago, it doesn't have anything to do with whether or not they are willing to fund the schools.

Let's not mix issues here.

As far as hearing what is going on in the county. You will miss out on EMS but the Sheriff's Dept, County Fire Dept, Fairfield Glade Fire Dept and Rescue Squad's existing VHF will be patched into the new system, so you will continue to hear that traffic.

rangerbill

Please accept my Apologies

i was highly agitated that night. I depend upon my scanner to let me know of any danger. i live in a bad neighborhood and need to know whats going on. many times the scanner has warned me about impending danger.
the other cause of my frustration is i can not find any information on whether i will be able to hear all departments with a scanner. Basically Sheriffs office and county fire is all i ever listen to. I do not know if it is going to be encrypted or if its even able to pick up what i want. So many rumors are going around. even you didn't tell me what i asked. which was, "anybody know if it will be encrypted and what scanner I'll need?"

Thanks for the reply and Sorry about offending you about the school issue. I was simply angry and frustrated.

cumbcoradio

There is currently no encryption in use on the system.
The local Radio Shack had 2 digital trunked scanners but sold both of them to the Crossville Chronicle.

The Sheriff's dept and County Fire dept will continue to be broadcast over the VHF as well as the new P25 system. So you will be able to continue monitoring those frequencies.

rangerbill

Thank you Cumbcoradio

I apprieciate the reply.

The price i am seeing is well quite expensive for my blood, i just want to be certain that it will pick it up. I don't want to end up with a very expensive thing that i cannot use.

Could you tell me if a bcd-996t or xt is overkill or is that what i need. i like the bearcat brand.

Radio shack is good, i had a base 8 channel crystal once that lasted 20 years. my first one.

BTW i have heard promises of the sheriff is going to bridge to the old system so the old radios will recieve. so far that has not occured. if he did it would make a lot of people happy.

thanks again!

rangerbill

Thank you for the reply Cumbcoradio

I did not realize the radio change here was such a big thing, i did a search here and it seems to be a bit of a big topic.
I had heard rumors that the sheriff was going to bridge the new system to the old, but so far that hasn't happened yet. if he does a lot of people will be happy.
Could i ask one more question?
would an BCD396t or XT be overkill or is that the model I need?

n4yek

Could i ask one more question?
would an BCD396t or XT be overkill or is that the model I need?

Not overkill, if you want to monitor digital communications, you will have to have a digital scanner.
If you can wait, I would hold off until Uniden releases the BCD 396XT due sometime this spring. It
has many more useful bells and whistles that I would want on my 396T but won't ever see happen.

rangerbill

Thanks for your replies N4yek

I am TRYING to wait, jitters are killing me, but i want the latest tech on this since the system is supposed to be the latest tech. I have heard shipping date in the last week of March. Sometimes i just want to jump and grab a T-model but i know i'll be kicking myself for not waiting. Could have really used one yesterday, two 20 year old s and an 18 year old threatened my son with a knife. (neighborhood overage punks) I caught them and called the police on the cell. BTW son is 13 a trying to enjoy the warm weather riding his bike in the neighborhood.

two weeks ago we had two tornados in a week

there have been two police chases end in our neighborhood, with suspects on foot

then a few years ago some people riding around the neighborhood shooting into the houses.

i know take the 500 and put a down payment on a house elsewhere. it is planned, as soon as i finish grad school.

Thanks again

n4yek

I am TRYING to wait, jitters are killing me, but i want the latest tech on this since the system is supposed to be the latest tech. I have heard shipping date in the last week of March. Sometimes i just want to jump and grab a T-model but i know i'll be kicking myself for not waiting.

Yes, you would kick yourself if you done that. I know how you feel when you want to monitor something and can't because you don't have the equipment. Be patient and wait....you will regret it if you don't.

VIPEROPS

Hi,

I just got a 106 was curious if we are going to be seeing any TG's coming out for this system and does anyone know when this system is going to be fully implemented?

Just curious

Mike

rangerbill

Viperops there are talkgroups listed in the database here at RR

The Patch or bridge is up and running, sound quality could use some work, even the officers were complaining. But it is music to my ears. ***Thank you to the powers that be for the bridge.***

about an hour before the bridge went up i preordered a 396XT. i am first on the list at the dealer! and got it for 495.00 still gonna keep it, the bridge is afterall temporary maybe a year or so from what i hear.

Thank you all here who replied!

VIPEROPS

Viperops there are talkgroups listed in the database here at RR

The Patch or bridge is up and running, sound quality could use some work, even the officers were complaining. But it is music to my ears. ***Thank you to the powers that be for the bridge.***

about an hour before the bridge went up i preordered a 396XT. i am first on the list at the dealer! and got it for 495.00 still gonna keep it, the bridge is afterall temporary maybe a year or so from what i hear.

Thank you all here who replied!

I was only able to find range testing TG'S. But after doing some programming I was able to log my first DG talkgroup. ID is 600, I'm pretty sure that is the sheriff dispatch. I think 1202 is going to be Crossville PD, and 200 is either Cumberland or Crossville Fire

Last edited:

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Will it follow the Motorola format for trunking or do they have a proprietary format that our scanners cannot track?

VIPEROPS

Hey guys,

Is anyone able to get a decent signal for the control channels? I live in Tansi and the signal im getting seems to be going in and out. I also seem to be picking up the Campbell Jct CC. Im just a little confused.

Also does anyone have updated freq's for the system? I am picking up 460.2625 as a primary control ch, but on the RR database file it shows it as an alternate CC.

Any help would be appreciated

VIPEROPS

Ok, well here are the talkgroups i have so far...

200 Cumberland County EMS
400 Unknown (Someone was announcing a training and to bring full turnout gear)
600 Cumberland County Sheriff
1202 Unknown

VIPEROPS

Ok, well here are the talkgroups i have so far...

200 Cumberland County EMS
400 Unknown (Someone was announcing a training and to bring full turnout gear)
600 Cumberland County Sheriff
1202 Unknown

Since I dont know how to edit my post, I have a couple of new TG's to add...

601 Cumberland County Sheriff Admin
1000 Unknown

Hopefully I can find some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.