Memphis/Shelby County APCO-25 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronmicha

Sources tell me that the new Memphis/Shelby County V 4.1 Astro-25 P25 IMBE upgrade should start going on the air in the cars this summer, likely late July or August. System will include three new towers (Fisherville, Redwood Road, & Locke Road) to cover annexed areas and six new channels. I’m concluding those may be for Shelby County Sheriff, which is becoming a part of the system. As expected, Vice, Narco, Interstate Truck Theft, Gang Unit, & probably some others will be encrypted. The rest should be in the clear. VSELP is history soon. The channel lineup posted on RR now is pretty accurate. I’ll work on coming up with the new lineup when my friends can tell me more.
Ron

There are rumors of two new police precincts 1 a Hickory Hill and 2 a Northwest precinct. I think the county only uses about 4 or 5 TG'S on their system now. They will probably loode the I-call function. I don't know how much I-call a system like this can handle but if the city has control of the system I bet they limit it to supervisors. With the city only Lt's and above have keypad on their radios for I-call.

ronmchandler

Memphis / Shelby Cty Apco 25??

Memphislawenforcer...

Would you please clarify if Memphis has converted to the Apco 25 system? I have been waiting to find out to purchase a new scanner to start monitoring. Also, when will the county be initializing the same system?

Many thanks.
RC
Germantown

ronmchandler

My Bad ...

I neglected to read Ronmicha's post and after having done so, my question is answered. Sorry....

Could you recommend the best scanner to purchase to monitor the Memphis / County APCO 25 system?

thanks

I know that they are working on the towers and the repeaters but they have not started to change out the radios yet, that is I still have my old radio. I just got a bc246T and it is great I think I will get the bc396 when it comes out and the system is up. keep in mind that the system will have to be up and fully functional before they give out the first radio so it could be sooner than later that you can hear the system working at first the techs checking it and then the patch to the vselp system. until the transition is complete they will have to run both systems with a patch between the two. at least thats what they did wen they went from the conventional system to the vselp system in 96 or 97.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
There will be twin patches.. One from the current VSELP simulcasting dispatch etc.. and one for the SO simulcasting from the EDACS... Then once all the "bugs" are worked out and mobiles, and HT's distributed.. the changeover will happen.. Both the EDACS, and VSELP will be running for a bit.. then go bye bye. I don't know currently if the MFD will maintain the conventional simulcast of dispatch, or not.. perhaps Matthew can tell us on that end.

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Feed Provider
The only thing I've heard is that it will be later this summer before the swap is made. I'm not really in that loop of information.

ronmchandler

MLGW has switched

I'm picking lots of MLGW stuff up on their new digital APCO 25 system. Just got my scanner last weekend and loaded up MLGW and I immediately heard transmissions. Good way to test my new Pro-2096 to see if it works and it does!!

INDY72

Question, .... Is the school systtem going to also be on the new ASTRO-25 system???

I know school security has a talk group on the current system. As for the school system as a whole I don't know if they do or not. I don't think they have a talk group for Memphis city schools Admin or any thing like that.

dsbyrd

ronmicha said:
The channel lineup posted on RR now is pretty accurate. I’ll work on coming up with the new lineup when my friends can tell me more.
Ron

So are you saying the current list of control freqs and talkgroups for the VSELP system, should remain the same when they switch to APCO-25?

I've been monitoring them on and off, hoping to catch them when they make the switch, but from what I've read in other posts, it sounds like they may be another month or two away.

INDY72

the TG lists should stay about the same.. with of course additions for Shelby Co. SO, EOC.... CC's may change.....

INDY72

Well now that I am working full time.... I should be able to get a digital scanner within a lil over a month.. So I will be able to help you guys verify exactly whats happening when the transition happens,... I will also work to ID the unidentified SCSO TG's till they switch over.

safetyobc

Is the info in the database correct for shelby county and memphis? I am getting ready for my BCD396T and would like to program the Memphis area in just in case I am up that way. If not, anyone working on updating the new system? Or is it still not online yet? Thanks for any info.

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
All the current info in the DB is correct. No switch yet. MLG&W is the only one I know of on the APCO sys.

ronmicha

New Memphis Frequencies

I spoke with someone in "the loop" and got these new frequencies for the Memphis APCO-25 system. Will post them in the correct format in the RR database when I get a little more info. Memphis City Schools security has a talkgroup on the system. So does Shelby County schools. Each particular school uses those little Motorola businesss band radios, mostly VHF.
New freq. 866.3000 876.4125 867.6875 867.9875 686.5375 868.9375
New precinct addition: 025 D Northeast Prec.
Shelby County Sheriff has 3 talkgroups now on the current VSELP system but we can't hear it. Will post more as I get it.
I pasted that "686.5375" just as it was given to me. Obviously a typo. I'm guessing it should be 866.5375. What do you think? More later. I'm still told most of the old channel lineups and talk groups will remain the same except for the addition of Shelby County Sheriff which I don't yet have. I'm curious about the MPD I-Call situation. Will try to get some info on that also.
Ron

Supervisors have the ability to use the I-Call but I don't think they ever do. I have never heard them use it they have used the phone feature but never the I-Call. I don't think anyone would know how to use it if they tried. You also have to think with over 2000 radios out there and only 30 or so freqs it would not take long to block it up very badly. I do hear the county using it quite a bit on their current system but there are not as many of them as there are us.

firemedic2150

Database Admin
Wow what a coincidence that those frequencies are the same as the Shelby County EDACS system that is going off the air?

WPMR206

Might be a signal that they are getting ready to switch on the CAI system.

Mark Mc.

Did you notice that they were only from the Germantown, Millington and NE Memphis sites. Those sites were never used for the Shelby County EDACS system that is currently in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.