looked for F.A.Q.'s and couldn't find them

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA3QRM

Sorry if these questions have been asked, but here goes. Mobile scanning legal, should I have a copy of my ham radio license with me? Hamilton County, are both systems up and running... Tennessee Valley and Hamilton County? Passing through on the way to / from Florida, stopping in Ooltewah, hoping to not reduce the state budget deficit at the roadside, so could someone could let me know how 'flexible' the local constabulary are with the speed limits? Strict or just a suggestion?
Thanks / 73
VA3QRM

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
i can't answer most of them. but scanning is perfectly legal, though some cops tend to pay closer attention to you thinking you may be listening for illegal reasons. no need for a HAM license to RX, though to operate a TX you should have it with you. of course a cop can't do a thing to you for transmitting on ham bands, that is up to the FCC.

VA3QRM

thanks

Thanks David. In some states ham radio ops are allowed to listen to scanners mobile while the 'general public' is not. Would love to bring the 6 meter gear, but will save that for another time. Might bring HT with me, no handsfree only while driving law like here in Ontario.

lowerrollin

Feed Provider
I find its over 10 mph when they start looking at you. 5 mph over is hard to prove in court, and doesnt "pad there pockets" like a 15 mph over ticket, so its not worth there time. Invest in a decent radar and lazer detector. If it works just once on warning you of a "smokey" hiding out, then its paid itself off. To Err on the safe side would be 2 not speed, but wheres the fun in that?

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
Would love to bring the 6 meter gear, but will save that for another time. Might bring HT with me, no handsfree only while driving law like here in Ontario.

I generally carry my scanner when traveling and use it to detect ham activity in the area, then program my HT on the fly! New ham, not much equipment!

click23

Premium Subscriber
I have seen a report for a ticket, from a coworker who went to court over a local speed trap, that said "I observed Mr Smiths vehicle approaching at a high rate of speed", he was clocked at 39 in a 35mph zone. He won in court because a 55mph sign was visible, but had not passed it.

My personal method to not get a ticket is up to 5 over on interstates and highways in incorporated areas, the posted limit in cities. One speeding ticket in 15 years, I was not following my own method at the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.