Streaming the Great Smoky Mountains & Blue Ridge Parkway park rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbreland

It seems that almost every county surrounding both the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway have live streams, but no one is monitoring the park rangers. I go somewhere up there every couple of months and really enjoy listening to what's going on. Since they went digital the GSMNP's audio is really clean. Am I overlooking something?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
My WAG is that it's tough to be in a place where 1) you can hear them 2) you have a computer running 24/7 and 3) the Internet ability to send the data?

dukeblue021

I live north of Knoxville and pick up the GSMNP perfectly. My opinion on why no one streams it (myself included), is that you need a dedicated scanner running 24/7 to support a live stream. Most people use their older scanners that they aren't using anymore for this, since it has to stay locked on to this one channel (or group of channels). To stream a digital system would require dedicating a fairly new, $500 scanner to this task.

Just my opinion. If I had an extra digital scanner laying around, I would be happy to provide that stream.

WX4MST

I also would love to be able to stream GSMNP! I keep checking to see if some one has posted a stream yet!

lowerrollin

Feed Provider
What cell phone company do u have that gets the internet in the park? Last trip I made, Sprint was dead. On second thought, it might have been my crummy phone..........

dukeblue021

Well... since several people have asked, I'm now streaming the GSMNP to RadioReference. The feed has been approved, and should be showing up shortly.

Jbreland

Thanks DukeBlue! I can't wait to hear it.

Yes, it's somewhat of a bummer to see your $500 scanner doing something so simple. I have a BCD-396T that is streaming only 6 or so analog frequencies myself. The only time it isn't doing that is when I go on a mountain trip because I take it with me to hear the park service! We just don't have that much digital activity here. When I'm gone, I use one of my analog scanners in place of the 396, but then I'm not providing tags. The 396 is the only scanner I have that can provide tags and that is another reason I keep it online so much.

Again, thanks so much for providing the the park ranger stream.

kel415

Premium Subscriber
Well... since several people have asked, I'm now streaming the GSMNP to RadioReference. The feed has been approved, and should be showing up shortly.

That is great now I can see if there is any difference with your streaming and my pro106 here in Kodak area. I listen in every night on park rangers and enjoy tracking them on search and rescue with my map of the park layed out. Thanks for the streaming

Jbreland

Looks like DukeBlue had to take his GSMNP stream down. I really appreciate the year or so it was up. I have listened for hundreds of hours. It was only the park rangers, and that was what was so great about it, in my opinion. The GSMNP and the Blue Ridge Parkway are all I scan when I am in the Smokys.

I'm starting to have withdrawals. Can anyone out there put up a feed to replace this one? I for one would really appreciate it.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Way to go! Now it's only a matter of time before they start ENCRYPTING the GSNP repeaters! Good job.

kel415

Premium Subscriber
Smoky Mnt Park Rangers

Got to go with Danny on the Rangers I listen in every night on them sometimes it is quiet and sometimes not. Heard them this weekend good, But as Danny stated not all have encrypted radios yet because I hear them ask at times is your radio encrypt some still say no and they will ask them to give them a call. But do wonder when they all will have it. Also lot of changing has been made in Sevier Co. radio systems this past year and none to our good listening either.

wirogue

Premium Subscriber
I just noticed I can't monitor GSMNP anymore, (could a month or so ago on my 396xt) any ideas what happened?

n4yek

I am monitoring them right now, maybe the frequency you are monitoring them on has problem or possibly is down. I am hearing them on 172.5000 MHz right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.