Legal in a persona car/truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vontar

Premium Subscriber
Is it legal to listen to a scanner in a personal car/truck in TN? Not a commercial vehicle.

SCPD

QRT
Is it legal to listen to a scanner in a personal car/truck in TN? Not a commercial vehicle.

You know, this question has been asked at least 100 times since the begining of 2011. I'm sure with a little searching of the forums you could find your answer easy enough. Hint: there is a website with all the state laws regarding scanners. Find it. Research it. Use it.

APTN

Yes

The answer is yes. Davidson County does have a restriction on scanners in vehicles on the books, but (to my knowledge) it is not widely enforced.

n4yek

You know, this question has been asked at least 100 times since the begining of 2011. I'm sure with a little searching of the forums you could find your answer easy enough. Hint: there is a website with all the state laws regarding scanners. Find it. Research it. Use it.

You know, I monitor the TN forum all the time and I believe this is the first time this year. You spent more time telling him your opinion of his question than you could have answering it. Jezz... :roll:

wxwarn285

Ham radio operators, and any emergency personell are exsempt from any scanner law in TN.

Ham radio operators are considerd an emergency volunteer - (ARES, RACES), but you need to have your
license with you, and a copy of the TN radio receiving law with you would be recommanded.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
It's kind of like the handgun carry laws, radar detection equipment, and a few other things. It varies from state to state. Just have to be careful!

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
As any question of law, this one needs to be revisited periodically. The stuff that's already been said here is essentially correct. However, you're going to have to take a look at the distracted driving laws that may have been enacted in your state vor locale. If they will stop and ticket you for talking on a a cell phone while driving, you can expect the same treatment if you fiddle with a scanner while behind the wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.