Is Warren Co (McMinnville TN) going digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmusicianguy

Feed Provider
I'm the feed provider for Warren Co. In McMinnville, TN. I spoke to the local Sheriff and he told me by the end of next year Warren Co. would have to go digital and cut off analog. As a provider this is bad news for me as digital scanners go for $300+. Does anyone know any info as to this?

Warren Co. is a small town as far as cities and counties go. I can't see this area going digital as the costs to convert all the cop, ems and fire as well as other county agencies would be expensive.

In case I started a thread in the General Scanner area. If this IS the case I will need to raise money to buy a new scanner if it's not digital AND encrypted.

http://forums.radioreference.com/ge...ey-buy-digital-scanner-analog-going-dark.html

TRamrod38

The narrowband mandate is Jan. 1 2013 and there is no mandate for anyone going to digital as of now. But that does mean your Dept. has the option to stay analog or Digital or both.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately for you if they go digital i'd bet my rediculous pay check with them being a small town they encrypt 100 percent. Just ask the poor folks in Tuscaloosa, AL. Digital is bad news in my opinion. Yes scanner companies have kept up and come out with P25 units. Digital must be easier to encrypt than analog because that seems what's happening after these municipalities go P25. Escambia Co, FL is another example. It's needless and stupid but the rule of thumb these days it seems.

SCPD

QRT
Searching the FCC database, this is what I found out: Fire and EMS have converted their licenses to narrowband or were narrowband only in the first place, so it doesn't look like they are planning to change anything. The Sheriff's Office is still licensed for wideband only, so they maybe changing to a new system or just haven't gotten around to doing the paper work for narrow banding. The only digital license was the school board and it was MotoTRBO which isn't receivable without using a computer and software. The school board was also licensed for analog so they may or may not be digital. I also searched the Southern Standard and there was no mention of the County Commission approving any money for a radio upgrade.

xmusicianguy

Feed Provider
Searching the FCC database, this is what I found out: Fire and EMS have converted their licenses to narrowband or were narrowband only in the first place, so it doesn't look like they are planning to change anything. The Sheriff's Office is still licensed for wideband only, so they maybe changing to a new system or just haven't gotten around to doing the paper work for narrow banding. The only digital license was the school board and it was MotoTRBO which isn't receivable without using a computer and software. The school board was also licensed for analog so they may or may not be digital. I also searched the Southern Standard and there was no mention of the County Commission approving any money for a radio upgrade.

Why thank you my good man! You saved me ALOT of time and money!

Status
Not open for further replies.