RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Tennessee Radio Discussion Forum

Tennessee Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Tennessee.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 12:35 AM

Done ... I've got them set up with an alert and the backlight to come on so I can quickly see it when I get a hit.

As I was typing this got a hit in 855.5625 PL 82.5 and it was definitely Wings talking. He was talking to dispatch saying he was setting down at Laughlin (Greeneviile). And "they couldn't hear me on the ground on 4." ???

Came in really good too. I noticed in the last couple days it seems the signal on 857.13750 is a lot stronger & louder than before. Breaks my eardrum when listening through my headphones. LOL I watch TV/DVR and use one earpiece from my headphones to listen to the scanner at the same time. That way 1 ear is tuned to TV & 1 to the scanner. But with all the pausing it sometimes takes 1-1/2 hrs to watch an hour show.

I'll keep you updated on what I hear.
Sponsored links

Old 08-02-2012, 11:06 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Is this a trunked system or is it just separate freqs you can scan? Thanks!
Old 08-02-2012, 1:54 PM

The frequencies are listed in the fcc database as a trunked system but the 2 wings frequencies (857.1375 91.5 PL, 855.5625 82.5 PL) are not trunked. Those 2 are definately wings frequencies. Some of the other frequencies are trunked, that I am picking up down here. I posted those because they were in the same license. One of the trunked frequencies Im getting is a junkyard because they keep calling out parts for vehicles, but that could be another system anywhere from Knox Co to western edge of NC on up into southeast VA. That is where I can pick up signals, strong or weak.
Old 08-02-2012, 2:47 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

alright thanks for the good info when I come back in I'll make sure to scan those.
Old 08-02-2012, 6:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Confirmed

I can also confirm 855.5625 - 82.5
Sponsored links
Old 08-06-2012, 1:56 PM
Hybrid Dispatcher
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Thanks guys, havent been on for a while. Helping the wife with a torn MCL and other knee problems lately. Ill update the database and my personal equipment!!
Motorola GP338+ VHF

KJ4ZDF

"Its better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep"
Old 08-06-2012, 3:54 PM

Ok. Thanks alot. Hope your wife gets better.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfhtm350 View Post
When it rains you can bet youll hear them on there.

Do all of the Wings (1,2,3,4) always come back to Johnson City Medical Center or do they go to other hospitals or what? Im thinking the wings in Greeneville is based at Takoma Hospital. If they dont ever bring patients back to Takoma it wouldnt make sense to me to be based at that hospital.
Wings is based at LMH in greeneville.
Old 09-03-2012, 2:05 PM

Wings doesn't always go to the closest hospital or their base if they have a patient on board. If they need a Level 3 trauma center they'll go to the closest one which seems to be either Johnson City Medical Center or Holston Valley in Kingsport most of the time. I've heard them coming back to JCMC from scene calls close to Boone,NC and Greene County. It also depends on how many patients they have from 1 scene call if the distance is about equal. For example scene call on interstate 81 in Greene County may take some patients to Holston and some to JCMC. I have heard 3 Wings all coming to JCMC from 1 scene call in Carter County. The first one back in does a hot offload and then moves to the maintenance hanger. The next one does the same thing to make room for the 3rd one. Holston Valley has an upper and lower pad, so do something similar there. This all gets even more complicated when you have other chopper transports coming in at the same time using different air rescue services. Wings also does transports between hospitals such as getting a patient from Mountain City Hospital going to JCMC.

Wings are based in several different areas. This is how they're based according the their website: Mountain States Health Alliance | Service Area
Wings I - Elizabethton, TN
Wings II - Greeneville, TN
Wings III - Jenkins, KY
Wings IV - Marion, VA

I don't know if these are still accurate. I'm pretty sure Wings 1 and 2 are right. And I know there is a Wings V but it's not listed above so not sure where it's based unless it's Johnson City. I'm pretty sure there is a chopper based there because I always see it sitting on the pad outside the ER and they have a maintenance hanger for them.

I've also found out the 2 frequencies (857.1375 91.5 PL, 855.5625 82.5 PL) receive the same transmissions. They are just different towers. One tower is High Knob (maybe on Holston Mtn ?), the other I think they said is Black Knob. Not sure where it's at but definitely further away from me.
Sponsored links

Old 09-05-2012, 5:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Wings New Pilot

Wings new pilot is a former helicopter instructor pilot and has a YouTube channel at: Michael's Aviation Journey - YouTube.

One of his recent videos shows his initial training in the Bell 407's that Wings uses. The link to the video if you're interested is at" New Job - Bell 407 Helicopter training for HEMS operations for Med-Trans - YouTube

73's!
Matthew 28:18-20, Romans 8:28
Old 09-05-2012, 5:20 PM

Interesting video. I heard him when he was going on his training flights .. just during take off and landing so knew Wings had a new pilot, but never caught his name.