RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Tennessee Radio Discussion Forum

Tennessee Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Tennessee.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 5:46 PM

So, I'm curious who decided to rename the Tennessee Valley Regional Communications System as Tennesee TroopNet? And why, because the TVRCS is a system on its own built by the City Of Chattanooga.
Mobile Communications
Apparently the City of Chattanooga and State of Tennessee need to be notified of the change.
Renaming TVRCS in the database could cause some confusion, since the TVRCS serves several counties in N.W. Georgia too and as far as those counties are concerned they are not aware of the change either.
Where did the name TroopNet come from? Is the Tenessee Department of Safety aware of the name TroopNet? Their new Phase 2 system was designed to interface with existing P25 infrastructure.
BG..
Old 05-30-2013, 7:02 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

As has been stated MANY times already, the TVR IS the TROOPNET, with the 3 freq sites being used in regions to fill in coverage, and the Nasheville TRS is also about to be TROOPNET, as will other regional systems, and local ones as well...

CHATTANOOGA, TN: Tennessee Highway Patrol Announces New Statewide Interoperable Commu

The State has taken over control, funding, etc for the entire thing.
Old 05-30-2013, 7:06 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
Troopnet is being administered by the state of Tennessee (hereafter the "State"). An agreement has been reached and signed that transfers the TVRTS over to the State; hence, becoming part of Troopnet. In return for this arrangement, the State will take over all licensing, maintenance, and operations costs of the current TVRTS TRS. Therefore, it will become one unified, multi-band interoperable radio system that will allow statewide roaming capabilities for all subscribers, from one end of the state to the other. Likewise, all Troopnet radios will have the capability to communicate on Project 25 trunking systems under construction in neighboring states.

73's

Ron
Also this...
Old 05-30-2013, 7:07 PM

Where are you getting your information? Please share with the Tennessee Department of Saftey and the City of Chattanooga. They need to be notified their systems have been renamed.
BG..
Old 05-30-2013, 7:13 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

TROOPNET is also fascinating on another level.. Technologically: It combines not only VHF High, 700 MHz, and 800 MHz bands, it also combines differring platforms including EADS, and Motorola all using P25 technologies. And with ISSI it will fully match up with AWIN, MSWIN, MOWIN, KY's P25 Conventional, GAWIN, the new AL system, VIPER/VIPER25, Palmetto 800/Palmetto25, and the GulfWIN network.
Sponsored links
Old 05-30-2013, 7:14 PM

Oh, and the City of Chattanooga radio shop needs to be informed the state has taken over control and maintenance of the TVRCS. Three counties in Georgia also need to be made aware Chattanooga is no longer maintaining their sites and 911 centers.
BG..
Old 05-30-2013, 7:22 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

Read the official release from the State of Tennessee.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13699599169846

Last edited by milf; 05-30-2013 at 7:25 PM..
Old 05-30-2013, 8:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just curious, according to the press release from the state, it says the following:
"Some new towers have been constructed as part of this project. The department has also reused antenna sites and equipment in existing Motorola Project 25 systems operated by the Tennessee Department of Correction (TDOC) and the Tennessee Valley Regional Communications System (TVRS). A total of 100 towers will be used for this system statewide."

Does that mean it is using the towers and parts of the TVRTS or has it actually taken over the entire TVRTS? Because it doesn't say in the release that the state has taken over the TVRTS, just that it is using equipment operated by the TVRTS.
Like I said, just curious.

Thanks,
David
Old 05-30-2013, 9:21 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

From everything that Thunderbolt, myself, and others have been informed from the earliest days of TROOPNET's conception, it was going to use TVR as its Southern/Eastern TN primary backbone, and the State would take it into TROOPNET once certain deals were finalized. It will also be adding in Nashville/Davidson's system, and over a year ago Memphis/Shelby expressed interest, so if that is still in the positive side, expect that one to be added also. I have heard rumors about the Obion County Regional also, but have no confirmations. The other big ? Is what will be the final steps of the DHS D7 System. Some have proposed its going to just be patched in with it, others have whispered it will go P25 and merge to form a BIG step up that way.

There will be originally 100 of the 3 freq sites in the plans right now, and then add in TVR, TDOC, and the other planned add ins... By the time its all siad and done, There will be a lot more than 100 lol. Many will be large simulcast cells around the metro areas like Knoxville, Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, etc... But in the more rural areas the smaller sites will be there. The GA sections of TROOPNET will be the main links to GAWIN if they ever get it finished, and no one knows for sure on the full buildout schedule on AL's new system. MSWIN's orignal set up is finished, with fold ins, add ins, and extra sites happening over the next year or two. AWIN is adding its add ins/fold ins, and expansions also. VIPER legacy has been finished for a long time. As has the Palmetto 800 legacy. VA's system is in buildout I believe. So in the event of magor events, they can all be linked vias issi, as well as actual patching.

The 3 freq sites will only be State Agencies primarily as even with TDMA, they can not handle massive user loadouts, thats where the old TVR, and other systems comes into play. Those sites can handle a much larger loadout, especially once everyone is using TDMA.

Oh yeah, forgot about the MOWIN buildout, and the patching/linkage that can also be done with KY's conventional P25... But anyway, you guys get the picture. As the 3 freq sites come online, please confirm and submit them so we can add them in.

Last edited by milf; 05-30-2013 at 9:35 PM..
Sponsored links

Old 05-30-2013, 9:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:57 PM

So, where does it say TroopNet? And where does it say TN is taking over city/county owned P25 assets? Does that mean Blount County, or Roane County, or Hamilton County had their infrastructure taken over? Was Georgia and it's participating counties compensated for their infrastructure that was taken over? And you're saying GEWIN is still a conceptual Georgia statewide system? Who's using GEWIN? Besides rumors and others "being informed," any facts to go on? Have FCC licenses held by cities/counties been transferred to TDOS?
BG..
Old 05-31-2013, 1:22 AM
Forums Moderator
Database Admin

Dyersburg, up in the northwest part of the state, will be switching their P25 TRS over to TroopNet. I believe they are waiting for the microwave backhaul system to come online so they can tie their system in. Anyone in that area might want to keep an ear on that system along with the Obion Regional Region TRS, as they too plan on coming online.

73's

Ron
Old 05-31-2013, 9:55 AM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

TN is now the one in charge of what was originally the TVR. That is a fact. Nashville/Davidson has agreements made to fold thier system in. Others are also discussing, or making arrangements to also add thier systems. As far as FCC licensing, until its nearly reup time you most likely will NOT see changes made. For evidence of this fact look at the licensing for the LWIN. There are still VALID licenses for City of New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Jefferson Parish etc... But it is a FACT those are LWIN Sites. In Arkansas, the newest municipalities to fold thier systems in ALL still have FCC Licenses with thier name on them, but thier systems ARE AWIN. In MS there are several systems that are converting/folding in to the MSWIN, whose FCC Licensing will still say its thier stuff until time for renewal etc... FCC documentation can not be used for much other than to say there is possibly a system there, possibly a certian flavor per emissions designators.. And that is about it. What is placed on the ownership is only valid at the time of it being put in thier database. What the usage stated rarely actually matches up to real world usage. I can even show you over 10 FCC licenses for systems that DO NOT EXIST, that have had licenses for over 10 years. (Why do you think we ask for you guys, the users, to monitor and submit data? Its for real world verification.) As for how we know who is building out systems, what they are calling it etc.. We get that through announcements from the vendors, press releases from the agencies that are doing them, city hall meetings, and so on ad infinitum. Some of our admins actually do real world work with these vendors, agencies, etc, and know whats going on. I am not going to get into a arguement here. The TROOPNET is happening the way its happening. GEWIN is still a concept. Whether it actually is reborn as the original plaaning, or as a whole new system with new blood, I don't know for sure. How GA managed to actually work with TN to even get the original TVRCS started is beyond me since they couldn't even complete the original legacy system, much less get the P25 properly off the ground. But yes its still a concept. I mean, if AL can get the ball rolling on a system after years of the EDACS being nearly useless as a statewide thing, then GA can reboot so to speak. As far as the rest of the interop with GA goes, there is WARRS, and other systems that can be tied in.. And using linkage and issi the current Cobb, ATL, and others can all talk together and with TROOPNET. Apparently Ron heard more confirmation on the Obion Regional than I did, so thats another big step towards buildout statewide.

Last edited by milf; 05-31-2013 at 10:01 AM..
Old 06-02-2013, 8:24 AM

It is unfortunate that RR readers are getting misinformation. Even more unfortunate is that frequent posters, self declared experts, who are taking it upon themselves to speculate and misinform are allowed to do this on RR.
MILF has made it clear his misinformation is based on rumors and speculation.
Bottom line: the City of Chattanooga still owns, controls and maintains the TVRCS; The Georgia counties participating in TVRCS own the infrastructure in their counties and continue to contract with Chattanooga for maintenance; the State of Tennessee does NOT have control or ownership of any of these assets; the Metro Government of Nashville-Davidson County has made it more than clear they will continue to maintain ownership and control of their systems and will not relinquish that control to the state.
There NEVER has been any action to change the name or ownership of any systems to "TroopNet." The word "TroopNet" refers to the microwave network built by the TN Dept. of Safety that links their P25 Phase2 sites to existing systems like TVRCS. The State of Tennessee does have agreements to use other systems owned by local government entities on a shared basis but they do not have any control or ownership.
One last point: TVRCS is governed by its own board of directors. There is no state take over.
BG..
Old 06-02-2013, 8:29 AM

Butch you are 100% correct.....
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2013, 8:37 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

For what it's worth, I spending the week at our condo on a ridge overlooking Dollywood, and brought my HP-1 and homebrewed 800 Mhz antenna along. It's amazing of the traffic on the Troopnet/Project25 net.

I'm impressed with the clarity. My little HP-1 is deaf at home.

kf4br
Old 06-02-2013, 9:10 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I was wondering why the name change in RR database. A bit of a misnomer but as long as the data is there no worries.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

For those hung up on the whole "Its just Chattanooga/Georgia" thing.... From 2011, 2 years ago, before things progressed to where they are now, read whose name is on the FCC License please. This is way before the THP press release put in the Community News Forum...

WQNI444 (TENNESSEE, STATE OF (TVRCS)) FCC Callsign Details

So if you guys want to keep naysaying what is occurring, just keep right on doing it.

For those hung up on "TroopNet reffers to the microwave linkage"... Do a little more homework on how a wide area TRS is designed, and operates, especially a Statewide P25 system that is being built by combining at least 3 "Regional Wide Area TRS's", multiple Municiapl/County TRS's, multiple State owned TRS assets, and ISSI linking with multiple others. Just a couple of months ago when I had not been informed the TVR deals had gone through fully, when I siad TVR was NOT TroopNet, that TroopNet was just the 3 freq sites, you very same people were the ones arguing with me that it indeed was TroopNet.

Again, just keep watching the developments, and please submit the data you see as the parts come alive. Some of you will be amazed, a few will be bored since a couple of you already know whats happening. For all of us its a learning experience and a fun challenge to see how its put together. For me, this stuff is never boring, and never gets old. I don't know everything by far, but on some of this, I may actually know more than it looks like.

Have fun guys.
Old 06-04-2013, 8:49 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

As BG said, you're making too many assumptions.

Here's the microwave backhaul license for that same site. Look who the licensee is there:
ULS License - Microwave Public Safety Pool License - WQMH468 - CITY OF CHATTANOOGA
WQMH468 - CITY OF CHATTANOOGA
Old 06-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

THP Fall Branch comes online today. Will have TGID in a bit.

Tags