RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Tennessee Radio Discussion Forum

Tennessee Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Tennessee.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 2:43 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Just heard a THP officer give his dispatcher the full SSN and DOB of a suspected 10-49. Have these guys been led to believe that their new radios cannot be monitored? Sorry, but I won't give his unit number or location. No need to get the guy in trouble.
Sponsored links
Old 10-12-2013, 6:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Actually, exchanging a driver's DOB and SSN are not that unusual in my experience of monitoring the THP. The subject of the stop probably had no DL available because he was already suspended. Running his identiity from SSN and DOB is the only alternate way. Ideally, MDT's could be used for ths purpose, but not all cars (e.g., pool cars) have MDT's.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I hear that all the time on THP and local police/SO channels. Especially when the person does not have an ID. Most of the time when they use SSN, they will only use SSN and no other identifiers (name, DOB, etc). Even back when they used the low band conventional, I've heard troopers check DL status by name, DOB, and SSN numerous times.
Old 10-12-2013, 8:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

And conversations such as this is what leads some agencies to encrypt. Just saying.
Old 10-12-2013, 9:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default re: The state of Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN)

Well put doctree. Better to be discrete about what you hear than to post about it. Discussing transmissions violates FCC regs.
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2013, 1:44 PM

Default Old School Scanner Guy

Ok, I am a retired THP Communications operator and 9-1-1 as well. For years, here in SE TN it has been 42.42. It is all gone. I want to buy a scanner that will pick up all the 7,8,900's and whatever I need.
What I don't want is to spend my days trying to reprogram, scan, search, look up talk groups and basically become a computer programmer to run a scanner, so.

What do I need to buy and how in the world can I use the KISS approach, And of course on a budget, not $ 1,000.. HA

Please advise,

Tennessee Highway Patrol, Knoxville District, Opr. M. Thurmer 14:41 Hrs., 10/18/2013

That is how we used to finished a teletype Msg. back in the days, Thanks Mitch
Old 10-18-2013, 2:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I hope I am not taking the thread too far off-topic in my reply to Mr Thurmer. Before the recent change, I monitored THP and NCSHP with my old Syntor X9000 programmed to operator select scan and the Knoxville and Fall Branch districts selected. Of course, this is no longer an option.
About two years ago, I traded in my old Bearcat BC780XLT to Grove Enterprises for a GRE PSR-600 P25-capable, trunking scanner. I agree that manually entering info into this beast is frustrating. GRE is not operating anymore. I think Uniden has a unit that is comparable. It will be about $400 or so. In the new system, each district has a dispatch talkgroup and three "OPS" talk groups (like your old "car-car" channels (e.g., Knoxville "8 & 8.")
Old 10-18-2013, 3:30 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

You will need an TDMA capable scanner in the very near future to monitor what few in the clear transmissions THP makes as they will be going mostly TDMA, and encrypting the majority of comms. This is a fact and has been discussed to death in the forums. From what has been mentioned, very shortly after every district is completely on TACN, and all testing completed, the switch will be made. So at the least you will be spending $500.00 or so to get an PSR-800, or the new offerring from Uniden whenever that hits, or the new Whistler (GRE's new owners) lineup which debuts in the first quarter of 2014. (That is January til March for those that don't know)
Old 10-21-2013, 1:14 PM

Default Old School Scanner Guy

Thanks for the replies. This is exactly what I am afraid of. We/me buy whatever is currently working and when all 8 districts plus TBI are all live, somebody flips a switch and it's all gone again. Now that the Department of Safety has added Homeland Security to their name, I am sure there has been an influx of cash for all the latest P25 goodies available. I noticed a Radio Shack Pro-106 on EBay the other day and the seller advised that it was Digital and P25 compliant. They also claimed it would pick up all the newest programming.
I am going to rely on all of you to steer me in the correct direction and it sounds like we all are going to have to wait and see what happens next. Back when I was a Comm Opr/9-1-1 all types of info would go out. On one hand I see a need for encryption but with Troopers and a lot of PD and SO's having in car NCIC, a lot of this info may not be on the air.
Maybe we will just have to be satisfied with what I hear now on my old Radio Shack PRO 2018. I receive the Polk County SO, Benton PD, West Polk Fire and Rescue, LifeForce and Air Evac, Bradley County SO and Cleveland PD, all from a Quarter Wave antenna 30 ft. on a tower. One day when the Fed/State gives them enough funding they will end up on the Troop Net,/whatever,
The are some online scanners I enjoy though, The times they are a changing. Thanks, Mitch
Sponsored links
Old 10-22-2013, 2:03 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthurmerm View Post
Thanks for the replies. This is exactly what I am afraid of. We/me buy whatever is currently working and when all 8 districts plus TBI are all live, somebody flips a switch and it's all gone again. Now that the Department of Safety has added Homeland Security to their name, I am sure there has been an influx of cash for all the latest P25 goodies available. I noticed a Radio Shack Pro-106 on EBay the other day and the seller advised that it was Digital and P25 compliant. They also claimed it would pick up all the newest programming.
I am going to rely on all of you to steer me in the correct direction and it sounds like we all are going to have to wait and see what happens next. Back when I was a Comm Opr/9-1-1 all types of info would go out. On one hand I see a need for encryption but with Troopers and a lot of PD and SO's having in car NCIC, a lot of this info may not be on the air.
Maybe we will just have to be satisfied with what I hear now on my old Radio Shack PRO 2018. I receive the Polk County SO, Benton PD, West Polk Fire and Rescue, LifeForce and Air Evac, Bradley County SO and Cleveland PD, all from a Quarter Wave antenna 30 ft. on a tower. One day when the Fed/State gives them enough funding they will end up on the Troop Net,/whatever,
The are some online scanners I enjoy though, The times they are a changing. Thanks, Mitch
I own a Pro-106 and it does fine on the TroopNet/TACN system I am not sure if there will be any kind of Firmware update to track TDMA with that unit i hope there will be, I think there is one that has TDMA Phase II Capabilities with a Firmware upgrade which is the PSR-800
Old 10-22-2013, 5:04 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default re: The state of Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbethea View Post
I own a Pro-106 and it does fine on the TroopNet/TACN system I am not sure if there will be any kind of Firmware update to track TDMA with that unit i hope there will be, I think there is one that has TDMA Phase II Capabilities with a Firmware upgrade which is the PSR-800
Unfortunately, you are out of luck on the Phase II firmware upgrade. Phase II will require new hardware... but it looks like there will be plenty of Phase II scanners on the market early next year. Both Uniden and Whistler will have new ones so at least you will have a choice.

- W4ELL - Posted from my secret underground lair.
Old 10-24-2013, 1:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Tennessee Advanced Communications Network

Does anybody in the area own an psr-800 that they monitor this system with? I live in clarksville, and I see we will be soon going to this system, and I am considering purchasing a psr-800. Was just wondering if anybody has tried listening to this system yet?
Old 10-24-2013, 4:45 PM

I dont believe all talkgroups are phase II so you could monitor with pro-106/197 or comparable uniden but what you wanted to hear may be phase II. THP over here is phase I right now and my 106 works on it but I couldnt tell you anything about your area. Also I read here somewhere Uniden and Whistler is coming out with some phase II scanners early next year so the psr800 is not going to be your only option.
Old 10-24-2013, 5:06 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

Moving thread to the TACN thread......Please stand bye

Merged, you may carry on with discussion.

Last edited by milf; 10-24-2013 at 5:09 PM..
Old 10-24-2013, 10:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm hoping they do come out with some, I'm not looking to spend 500+ on a scanner, but will if I have too. I currently am on edacs provoice where I live, So I just use dsd and its cheap to listen =D
Old 10-24-2013, 11:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbethea View Post
I haven't been to Clarksville in a while are they now using the new system or a little of both or is the TACN site up but they just haven't cut over yet
We are on provoice still. I live near one of the towers here, and it looks like they're doing some construction on it, or right next to it.

EDIT: also any word on what tg's will be encrypted?

Last edited by vans113; 10-24-2013 at 11:13 PM..
Old 10-25-2013, 8:35 AM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

Clarksville TACN site(s) are still not finished just yet. Then once finished, still have to go through signal testing, site trunking testing, and then go on wide area trunking mode for range testing etc. When you can hear that site, you will also be able to hear at least 2 other sites in that "region" of the TACN build out. As for C'ville's plans for encryption, I would guess that whatever they have encrypted now, will also be encrypted on the TACN, unless something changes their minds on it..
Old 10-25-2013, 9:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Well I may have so info on clarksville soon, I was looking at fcc info for the clarksville because they modified their license, and the contact info is for a guy, and happens to be I know his daughter =DD he is the senior I.T tech on this it says. So I'm going to hope to get some info from him, which would be great. As for encryption we (clarksville) are just on provoice right now. They think that's encrypted lol I can hear swat, etc anything you name it, but useing unitrunker with dsd, but I did have a police officer told me the police cheif wanted encryption but they really couldn't afford it or something. Who knows. Also since they will be using the same frequencies for the new system here if I run unitrunker will it pick up the new system?
Old 10-25-2013, 11:35 AM

Most of the Clarksville talk groups are going to be TDMA
Old 10-25-2013, 12:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123easy View Post
Most of the Clarksville talk groups are going to be TDMA
what exactly is tdma?

EDIT: did some research, it looks like the psr-800 supports slot 2 p25 phase 2, but not 4. Any word on what slot this system will be?

Last edited by vans113; 10-25-2013 at 12:41 PM..

Tags