RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Tennessee Radio Discussion Forum

Tennessee Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Tennessee.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 2:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
The state of Tennessee, has applied for their first VHF-High band Troopnet trunking site. Located in Dover County, near the town of Stewart, this should be the first of many more VHF Phase II TDMA sites to come. More information is available on the FCC Web site:

License Application

73's

Ron
Why are they using VHF-High band when the TVTRS is on 700/800 mhz?

Also, the State is reportedly erecting a new tower on Keith Springs mountain (near Winchester) in Franklin County, Tennessee, that is to be part of the Tennessee Valley system and is supposed to be operational by the end of October. Is there any information about this from the FCC applications or licenses?
Sponsored links
Old 10-13-2012, 11:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetman View Post
Easy now, the sky isn't falling, take a deep breath. TDMA IS monitorable with software, GRE also just released some beta firmware that supposedly does track true Phase II P25. Just because there's a chance of using encryption on this system doesn't mean everything is going to be locked down. As far as I know, I can count on both hands what systems are P25 and completely encrypted across the country.

Clearly there's enough to discuss here if we're already ~17 posts into this discussion. If all you have to contribute to the discussion is gloom and doom, then that's what it'll become. Let's keep it positive and minimize speculation until we actually see where this system is going, it's still early in it's infancy.
First of all I can count on two hands different systems in the State of Florida alone where public safety has gone full time encrypted! If not P25 then its some other unmonitorable format. Not all will be fire depts but law enforcement is. Second, the heck with software where u have to use a stupid computer all the time to hear it! I need it portable. Third, the firmware is a good start however I've only seen it for the PSR-800. I do not like the PSR 800. I wan't buttons on my radio where I can program by hand on the fly if i have to. Not rely on some pre programmed database where could be old or outdated. And believe me RR still has outdated stuff. And no I can't be very positive when the city I've lived in all my life will in the next year or so go encrypted on their new 9600 baud system. Yeehaw. I'm not preaching doom and gloom I'm merely speaking what I'm witnessing.

Last edited by CORN; 10-13-2012 at 11:39 PM..
Old 10-14-2012, 12:19 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORN View Post
First of all I can count on two hands different systems in the State of Florida alone where public safety has gone full time encrypted! If not P25 then its some other unmonitorable format. Not all will be fire depts but law enforcement is. Second, the heck with software where u have to use a stupid computer all the time to hear it! I need it portable. Third, the firmware is a good start however I've only seen it for the PSR-800. I do not like the PSR 800. I wan't buttons on my radio where I can program by hand on the fly if i have to. Not rely on some pre programmed database where could be old or outdated. And believe me RR still has outdated stuff. And no I can't be very positive when the city I've lived in all my life will in the next year or so go encrypted on their new 9600 baud system. Yeehaw. I'm not preaching doom and gloom I'm merely speaking what I'm witnessing.
There's a difference in encryption and a proprietary format. I was speaking as far as ALL services go, not just LE. You also have to remember that you have to work with what you can, beggars can't be choosers. I hear laptops are mighty easy to transport too
The PSR800 can be altered with software and I believe it can be changed somewhat on the fly as well, though I'm no expert. Also, the database is only as good as the submissions we receive. If the database still has outdated stuff, then submit it? Otherwise you have no reason to complain.

You've still got a year to go for your city. Have you tried contacting the people in charge and make an argument (read as an educated and calm request) to keep some channels in the clear for the public? If you can make a valid point, they might just listen, it's happened before.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

In reality not much change with monitoring THP. With the use of MDTs and with mobiles being all but unheard hasn't been that much traffic worth hearing. The benefit of TDMA to THP is enhanced technology in the field (e.g. real time video) with the extra bandwidth not that scanner folks can no longer hear them. They have been using the MDTs for sensitive issues for several years as have some local law enforement. I expect that the scanner manufacturers are working on the various new modalities but that takes time and market penetration. No one is going to make a scanner for 8 or 9 cities. Encryption, another story for another day.
Old 10-14-2012, 1:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctree2 View Post
In reality not much change with monitoring THP. With the use of MDTs and with mobiles being all but unheard hasn't been that much traffic worth hearing.
For you maybe, I have a fair amount of traffic I hear on a regular basis.

A blood donor saved my life (Matthew 26:28)
If 'con' is opposite of 'pro', is Congress the opposite of progress?
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2012, 10:09 PM

The THP system is dual band. 700/800 where current or planned systems are with VHF being used in remote areas to fill in coverage. The APX series mobile and portable radios will scan for the best control channel and connect with whichever band offers stronger signal.
Now I am wondering if THP traffic will be broadcast on both VHF and 700/800 or will it affiliate only with towers or sites within reah of transmitting mobile?
From what I am hearing THP will not encrypt day to day traffic but will have some CID groups that could.
It's great to see GRE released a phase-2 TDMA update for their psr800. I would imagine the new psr900 base/mobile coming out in December will have the capability. Now Uniden needs to get on the ball!
BG..
Old 10-16-2012, 8:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Will be interesting to see if they use TDMA given that the DOC and TEMA are not. Do the rigs currently on the market have both modes? Guess they could use gateways to talk to other state agencies and locals. Just curious about the radios.
Old 10-16-2012, 9:30 PM
Database Admin

Quote:
Will be interesting to see if they use TDMA given that the DOC and TEMA are not. Do the rigs currently on the market have both modes? Guess they could use gateways to talk to other state agencies and locals. Just curious about the radios.
Based on what I've read, you have to order the extra option to support TDMA/FDMA dynamic switching. This will be mandatory for this system since there are so many Phase I radios on there currently. If the system were to be Phase II from scratch, they wouldn't need to order this option, but at this point, it should be dynamic. FDMA for msot of the ops (right now), TDMA on channels with all radios supporting it, and when an FDMA radio switches over to that talkgroup, it automagically reverts back to FDMA. Clear as mud huh.
Old 10-17-2012, 1:20 AM

Quote:
In reality not much change with monitoring THP. With the use of MDTs and with mobiles being all but unheard hasn't been that much traffic worth hearing.
I still hear THP on these frequencies. Date is last confirmed.
(sometimes I get bored of listening and confirm my frequencies)

10/07/12 42.42000 141.3 PL THP FallBranch
10/07/12 42.56000 107.2 PL THP Knoxville
10/10/12 45.58000 141.3 PL THP FallBranch
10/11/12 45.62000 107.2 PL THP Knoxville
10/07/12 45.66000 141.3 PL THP FallBranch
10/16/12 45.70000 107.2 PL THP Knoxville
10/07/12 158.73000 100.0 PL THP Statewide
10/06/12 159.09000 100.0 PL THP Statewide
10/06/12 451.55000 131.8 PL THP RelayCartrCo
10/06/12 451.60000 131.8 PL THP RelayHawknCo
Old 10-17-2012, 2:53 AM
Forums Moderator
Database Admin

Here's a new license request for a transmitter site in Rutherford County. The site is location is in Hoover's Gap.

73's

Ron
Old 10-18-2012, 7:29 PM

Default TDMA Protocol

your correct. The GRE PSR-800 EZ-Scan Digital Scanner is the only one that will work at this time for the Motorola's X2-TDMA protocol. As of October 13, 2012
Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
The state of Tennessee, has applied for their first VHF-High band Troopnet trunking site. Located in Dover County, near the town of Stewart, this should be the first of many more VHF Phase II TDMA sites to come. More information is available on the FCC Web site:

License Application

73's

Ron
How are you able to locate this information?
Old 10-20-2012, 1:52 AM

all licenses like that are public info though the fcc =P
Old 10-20-2012, 7:23 AM
Forums Moderator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans113 View Post
Very true!

73's

Ron
Old 10-21-2012, 9:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans113 View Post
Could you provide more specific information so that I may access this site? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jimg; 10-21-2012 at 9:23 AM.. Reason: edit grammar
Old 10-21-2012, 10:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

FCC General Menu Reports
Old 10-21-2012, 8:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Thanks!
Old 10-21-2012, 9:41 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

FCC: Wireless Telecommunications Bureau

On the right side under "Licensing" you'll see "License Search" and "Application Search". The "Application Search" is where you'll find the new pending applications not actually licensed yet.
Old 10-22-2012, 6:37 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by thassler View Post
FCC: Wireless Telecommunications Bureau

On the right side under "Licensing" you'll see "License Search" and "Application Search". The "Application Search" is where you'll find the new pending applications not actually licensed yet.
Thanks very much for this info!
Old 10-25-2012, 4:06 AM
Forums Moderator
Database Admin

The city of Chattanooga wants to add some additional frequency pairs at several sites that are currently in operation. This is so they can accommodate additional channel loading from the state of Tennessee. More information is available at the FCC Web site:

Application

Supporting Letter

73's

Ron

Tags