RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Tennessee Radio Discussion Forum

Tennessee Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Tennessee.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2012, 7:50 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 688
Default

I would imagine all sites in the region will add frequencies to handle capacity from the increased number of users.
BG..
__________________
ButchGone
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 11-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
Posts: 9
Default

It's interesting, though.

They did a build out study. Seems like they should have been able to estimate load, and put enough channels in per site initially.


surfaceMount
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2012, 7:42 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. Middle TN
Posts: 628
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfacemount View Post
It's interesting, though.

They did a build out study. Seems like they should have been able to estimate load, and put enough channels in per site initially.


surfaceMount
Does any one know when this system might be up and running?
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2012, 10:14 AM
milf's Avatar
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 8,121
Default

First part six months to a year, with some pieces already up, complete build out and linkage to TNVRTRS etc,... several years. Oh and a clarification on the TDMA part... It will be true P-25 Phase II TDMA, not X-2, and yes the new GRE PSR-800's will do that. Not sure on the Uniden HP-1's. On the BO study, they did an estimate, but were not expecting just how big an extra load on they would be told to expect this early. (Mushroom principle lol)
__________________
Admin for AR, IN, LA, MS, and TN
Mod for AR, LA, MS and TN
Scanology, its the path to monitoring happiness!
Support your local Scanologists!
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2012, 7:05 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. Middle TN
Posts: 628
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by milf View Post
First part six months to a year, with some pieces already up, complete build out and linkage to TNVRTRS etc,... several years. Oh and a clarification on the TDMA part... It will be true P-25 Phase II TDMA, not X-2, and yes the new GRE PSR-800's will do that. Not sure on the Uniden HP-1's. On the BO study, they did an estimate, but were not expecting just how big an extra load on they would be told to expect this early. (Mushroom principle lol)
I have a GRE PSR-800 and should be able to receive transmissions from Grundy and Rutherford counties, however, I don't know how to load these frequencies into the scanner and there is nothing to import from the RR database that I see. I would like to hear if they are doing any "testing", etc.--any suggestions on how I might do this?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2012, 7:15 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Knoxville, TN area
Posts: 369
Default

So, i got my PSR800 up and running and I am trying to program the 700/800 mhz frequencies in for the troopnet trunking system from the FCC site and the scanner will not accept some of the frequencies (i.e. 799, 801, 803 and 804 mhz freq). Found out the PSR800 doesn't cover that part of the band.

Copied from manual
764.00000 − 781.996875 MHz! 3.125 kHz! FM
791.00000 − 796.996875 MHz! 3.125 kHz! FM
806.00000 − 823.987500 MHz! 12.5 kHz! FM

So, I guess I can just program the frequencies it will take and see if I hear anything.

Those frequencies are listed as mobile classification under the license, so i guess I don't really need them if I'm looking for a control channel
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2012, 7:18 PM
RonnieUSA's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rowan County,KY (Morehead)
Posts: 1,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewhall29 View Post
So, i got my PSR800 up and running and I am trying to program the 700/800 mhz frequencies in for the troopnet trunking system from the FCC site and the scanner will not accept some of the frequencies (i.e. 799, 801, 803 and 804 mhz freq). Found out the PSR800 doesn't cover that part of the band.

Copied from manual
764.00000 − 781.996875 MHz! 3.125 kHz! FM
791.00000 − 796.996875 MHz! 3.125 kHz! FM
806.00000 − 823.987500 MHz! 12.5 kHz! FM

So, I guess I can just program the frequencies it will take and see if I hear anything.

Those frequencies are listed as mobile classification under the license, so i guess I don't really need them if I'm looking for a control channel
Did You do the firmware update?

http://www.greamerica.com/support/in...oaditemid=1042
__________________
Radio Shack Pro-197 - Win500
BCT15X - FreeSCAN
NooElect R820T SDR & DVB-T - SDRSharp

Last edited by RonnieUSA; 11-30-2012 at 7:20 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2012, 9:41 PM
milf's Avatar
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 8,121
Default

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctree2
Will be interesting to see if they use TDMA given that the DOC and TEMA are not. Do the rigs currently on the market have both modes? Guess they could use gateways to talk to other state agencies and locals. Just curious about the radios.


To answer that radio question, yes there are HT's and Mobiles, and Consoles that can do mixed modes. Take for example the Motorola APX series, dual band at the same time, and can do both FDMA, and TDMA. So not only can you set one up to run say an TRS that uses both 700 MHz, and 800 MHZ, or an 150 MHz/700 MHz,... or an 700 TRS, and VHF conventional.
__________________
Admin for AR, IN, LA, MS, and TN
Mod for AR, LA, MS and TN
Scanology, its the path to monitoring happiness!
Support your local Scanologists!
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 688
Default

Yes, THP will be using Phase 2 TDMA from the git-go on the new 3-channel towers they are installing and the TVRCS. Keep in mind though, that if another state agency like TEMA has a THP talk group programmed into their FDMA only radio and they need to talk on it or monitor then that THP talk group goes FDMA across the board.
BG...
__________________
ButchGone
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2012, 8:39 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. Middle TN
Posts: 628
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchGone View Post
Yes, THP will be using Phase 2 TDMA from the git-go on the new 3-channel towers they are installing and the TVRCS. Keep in mind though, that if another state agency like TEMA has a THP talk group programmed into their FDMA only radio and they need to talk on it or monitor then that THP talk group goes FDMA across the board.
BG...
Do you know in what areas and when this new system will become active?
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 688
Default

The plan is to have THP Chattanooga, Knoxville and Fall Branch districts on line first. Basically that's all of eastern TN and the southern part of the Cumberland Plateau. The TN Dept. of Safety has a website with map of the districts. But the FCC data base is showing new TDMA towers extending west toward Nashville so it's possible the I-24 corridor into Nashville could be included.
BG..
__________________
ButchGone

Last edited by ButchGone; 12-02-2012 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 688
Default

Based on FCC database records here's a list of the new Phase 2 TDMA towers/frequencies the Tennessee Department of Safety is getting on the air. For folks in these areas give them a listen and please let us all know when you hear a control channel on the air. Since it's 2-slot TDMA one freq is for control channel, the two other freqs can handle a total of four simultaneous transmissions at once. These sites fill in the gaps where the TVRCS in eastern Tennessee doesn't get into. THP will operate on the TVRCS where sites are available. Keep in mind THP will also operate on new VHF channel assignments in TDMA mode where the 700/800 sites don't penetrate. Those licenses should start popping up too. Their APX series mobiles and portables are dual band and will scan for the best signal whether it's VHF, 700 or 800.

Grundy County/ Hippie Town Farms; 771.25625, 771.63125, 769.71875

Sequatchie County/College Site; 769.35625, 769.78125, 770.90625

Claiborn County/Springdale; 769.33125, 770.56875, 774.58125

Cocke County/English Mnt; 770.28125, 770.80625, 769.15625

Greene County/Viking Mnt; 769.36875, 770.50625, 770.15625

Washington County/Fall Branch; 769.83125, 771.33125, 769.18125

Hawkins County/Channe 2 site; 771.03125, 771.43125, 769.90625

Sullivan County/Bays Mnt; 769.10625, 770.05625, 773.53125

Campbell County/Walnut Mnt; 773.70625, 774.40625, 770.90625

Morgan County/Frozen Head Mnt; 770.85625, 772.65625, 769.70625

Rutherford County/Tiger Hill; 770.03125, 770.30625, 769.46875

Wilson County/Franklin Road; 769.78125, 770.08125, 773.33125

Davidson County/Cane Ridge; 769.30625, 769.58125, 770.19375

Scott County/Black Creek; 769.59375, 771.13125, 770.96325

BG..
__________________
ButchGone
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2012, 6:48 PM
jfhtm350's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Market TN
Posts: 864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchGone View Post
Based on FCC database records here's a list of the new Phase 2 TDMA towers/frequencies the Tennessee Department of Safety is getting on the air. For folks in these areas give them a listen and please let us all know when you hear a control channel on the air. Since it's 2-slot TDMA one freq is for control channel, the two other freqs can handle a total of four simultaneous transmissions at once. These sites fill in the gaps where the TVRCS in eastern Tennessee doesn't get into. THP will operate on the TVRCS where sites are available. Keep in mind THP will also operate on new VHF channel assignments in TDMA mode where the 700/800 sites don't penetrate. Those licenses should start popping up too. Their APX series mobiles and portables are dual band and will scan for the best signal whether it's VHF, 700 or 800.

Cocke County/English Mnt; 770.28125, 770.80625, 769.15625

Hawkins County/Channe 2 site; 771.03125, 771.43125, 769.90625
Where are you getting the 769.XXXXX frequencies from? I am not seeing them in the FCC database. The other 2 frequencies are shown.
__________________
Pro-106 / Pro-197 / Uniden BC92XLT / Uniden BC355N
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2012, 7:01 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 688
Default

If you dig a little deeper into the license info, paying closer attention to attached letters/documents, you will find a wealth of info.
BG..
__________________
ButchGone
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Knoxville, TN area
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieUSA View Post
Well, I thought I did, but apparently did not get the second update in. I'll update firmware and try it then.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #56 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Knoxville, TN area
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchGone View Post
For folks in these areas give them a listen and please let us all know when you hear a control channel on the air.


BG..
Well, I'm in the Knoxville area and just got my PSR 800. I'm going to program them all in and see what I get anyway. You never know. I'll listen and if I get anything to report, I'll do so.

DH
Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)  
Old 12-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. Middle TN
Posts: 628
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchGone View Post
Based on FCC database records here's a list of the new Phase 2 TDMA towers/frequencies the Tennessee Department of Safety is getting on the air. For folks in these areas give them a listen and please let us all know when you hear a control channel on the air. Since it's 2-slot TDMA one freq is for control channel, the two other freqs can handle a total of four simultaneous transmissions at once. These sites fill in the gaps where the TVRCS in eastern Tennessee doesn't get into. THP will operate on the TVRCS where sites are available. Keep in mind THP will also operate on new VHF channel assignments in TDMA mode where the 700/800 sites don't penetrate. Those licenses should start popping up too. Their APX series mobiles and portables are dual band and will scan for the best signal whether it's VHF, 700 or 800.

Grundy County/ Hippie Town Farms; 771.25625, 771.63125, 769.71875

Sequatchie County/College Site; 769.35625, 769.78125, 770.90625

Claiborn County/Springdale; 769.33125, 770.56875, 774.58125

Cocke County/English Mnt; 770.28125, 770.80625, 769.15625

Greene County/Viking Mnt; 769.36875, 770.50625, 770.15625

Washington County/Fall Branch; 769.83125, 771.33125, 769.18125

Hawkins County/Channe 2 site; 771.03125, 771.43125, 769.90625

Sullivan County/Bays Mnt; 769.10625, 770.05625, 773.53125

Campbell County/Walnut Mnt; 773.70625, 774.40625, 770.90625

Morgan County/Frozen Head Mnt; 770.85625, 772.65625, 769.70625

Rutherford County/Tiger Hill; 770.03125, 770.30625, 769.46875

Wilson County/Franklin Road; 769.78125, 770.08125, 773.33125

Davidson County/Cane Ridge; 769.30625, 769.58125, 770.19375

Scott County/Black Creek; 769.59375, 771.13125, 770.96325

BG..
THANKS VERY MUCH for this extensive list. I will program the Grundy, Sequatchie, Rutherford, Wilson and Davidson County frequencies into my GRE PSR 800, which is supposed to receive the TDMA Phase Two, and see if it will receive anything. Also, on 10/17/12, "Thunderbolt" posted a link to a license application for Hoovers Gap, which is also in Rutherford Co., and that license request listed two FB2 frequencies: 769.25625 and 769.53125.
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2012, 5:36 AM
Thunderbolt's Avatar
Forums Moderator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 6,624
Default

The FCC has approved several new sites for the TroopNet radio project. These sites may come online at any time now. More information is available on the FCC Web site:

WQQB673

WQQF489

WQMY418

Roane County E911

73's

Ron
__________________
"A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain." Robert Frost.
Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 3:24 AM
Thunderbolt's Avatar
Forums Moderator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 6,624
Default

FCC license modification request for temporary command post communications.

73's

Ron
__________________
"A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain." Robert Frost.
Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 688
Default

Thanks Ron. Now I'm wondering when the VHF 3-channel TDMA sites will start showing up.
BG..
__________________
ButchGone
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sticky

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions