Nashville Part B

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Any ideas or rumors as to whether the TGs on the B side (e.g. NES) will join the new P-25 system in Nashville?

cowand

NES supervisors are carrying the new APX6000 radios, & some of the new trucks have the new XTL2500 radios, both of which will do the 9600 trunking. They've been using XTS3000 portables and ASTRO Spectra mobiles, both of which I'm pretty sure will not do 9600 trunking.

So, I'll bet they will hop in there last on the new system.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
The ENTIRE system will be upgrading to P25. And correct, the XTS's and Spectra's will NOT do P25 (ASTRO25 for Motorola stuff), much less Phase II P25 which the system must be capable of doing as it will be joining TroopNet. Only the APX's and XTL's will do that on the Motorola side.

Last edited by a moderator:

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I don't know what the deal is but all my scanners seem to loose the control channel signal for the new P25 system when the sun goes down, even the 996 on my scantenna in the attic, and the older system comes in choppy. Baffled in Berry Hill by the Fairgrounds.

INDY72

Dear Baffled,
How long has this issue been causeing stressful difficulties in you scanning happiness? It could be an temperature gradient affecting the connections, or myriad other things. Have patience and please do give us more juicy details of the love hate relationship. *love your scanners, and monitoring, and the hobby but hate wierd issues?)

Yours truly
Slightly Twisted in Indy

(If you can get up off the floor after lauging that is...:cool:

CORN

Premium Subscriber
You know what I don't know what your problem is buddy (what have I done to you) that your treating me like a second rate hobbyist that just started in the scanner business yesterday. You coming behind me licking your chops at every opportunity to correct me as you respond by capitalizing (yelling) certain words or whatever when I'm not totally correct. You know, yes I don't know all the technical aspects of towers, what radios agencies use and so on but I know enough to try to enjoy the hobby. And it's amazing how much you claim to know about these systems here in Tennessee when your TWO STATES REMOVED!! You need to be a database admin for your area not Tennessee. So thank you for your smartass comments but I'd rather hear from someone who lives here and and heard these systems on a regular basis, not from some OUTSIDER. But I no longer will worry about because I'm done with this freak show and the morons that run it. As naive as you are this site IS ruining the hobby. That's why I'm not playing a part in it by sending in stuff. And I have a tone more listed for Nashville's new system (even the encrypted ones) than what's listed. Listening to public safety frequencies is NOT a right (not in the Constitiution) and therefore the lurkers who work for the agencies can just quietly surf the site, see their stuff is listed and call for encryption. So moderators, y'all ain't all friendly either, can my membership to this site cause I'm done. Good riddence!

123easy

The ENTIRE system will be upgrading to P25. And correct, the XTS's and Spectra's will NOT do P25 (ASTRO25 for Motorola stuff), much less Phase II P25 which the system must be capable of doing as it will be joining TroopNet. Only the APX's and XTL's will do that on the Motorola side.

Wrong AGAIN MILF they WILL NOT BE JOINING TROOPNET!!!!

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Corn,
Are you using an outside or attic antenna? The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that you may be at the junction where two (or more) of the sites intersect and that is giving your scanner fits. Known issue with 9600 simulcast. I have similar issues in Franklin with their system when driving around. If all indoors maybe moving the scanners a few feet either way which I bet you have already tried. Even if using coax seems that a mid-afternoon shower cooling things off might do the same.

Do you have similar issue with the TVRS system? That might help determine if it is a Nashville P25 issue versus hardware issues.

Just some random thoughts on a quiet Sunday morning.

123easy

Not sure if this matters with scanners or not but Franklin and Nashville are simulcast and they use LSM not C4FM modulation.

INDY72

Firstly I was trying to have a sense of humor, for that I apologize. Secondly I have lived in the States I admin for and moderate. I do happen to maintain contact with people in the regions, and along with other admins, do keep an ear to the inside grapevines. It is kind of funny, but so far, my information on the majority of the systems has been correct. But anyway, from now on I will just stick to being business, and only try to be friendly with those that wish it. I will just say this regarding the future, what happens will happen, so all the ones that keep saying things are not going to happen, just please keep paying attention.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
IMO, it's the simulcast issue based solely on the observation that at home signal is clear but in many areas in Nashville it goes R2D2 or cancels. And near a transmitter turning on the ATT does help until you are out of the shadow. Franklin is even tougher to monitor. Moving just a few feet on Cool Sprgs Blvd can change reception. When Williamson county brought up a few extra sites to better cover the county they initiated simulcast. Took a few days to tweak it for their rigs as when you were near the "intersection" of two sites on UHF your hear a heterodyne like sound. On the 800Mhz circuit it is similar or sometimes seems to cancel it out.. Attenuation does not help on the RS 106. Don't think it is the modulation as when at home the traffic is clear. And do not have that issue (yet) with the TVRS system when traveling through Chattanooga/N. Ga. Still the time of day does not make sense as to reception on FM.

INDY72

scanners seem to loose the control channel signal for the new P25 system when the sun goes down

This is not an LSM or any of the other noted issues with simulcast. That is why I mentioned maybe a strange temp varient causing an issue. He specifically says it happens at the point when the sun goes down. Couplings, and metal parts of the system changing size due to cooling etc.. possibly?

ButchGone

MILF said "... the XTS's and Spectra's will NOT do P25 (ASTRO25 for Motorola stuff), much less Phase II P25..."
Really?
What about the tens of thousands of XTS 2500s XTS 5000s on ASTRO 7.xx systems around the country?
BG..

INDY72

NES supervisors are carrying the new APX6000 radios, & some of the new trucks have the new XTL2500 radios, both of which will do the 9600 trunking. They've been using XTS3000 portables and ASTRO Spectra mobiles, both of which I'm pretty sure will not do 9600 trunking.

So, I'll bet they will hop in there last on the new system.

You really need to do better than trying to take my statement out of context. My post followed this one. Its reallyyyy not to hard to see the XTS and Spectra I was talking about. Also, please show me a single XTS that can do P25 Phase II TDMA. Enough with trying to start a flame war. It really gets nowhere fast. The XTS3000 was my personal favorite ASTRO radio of them all. You could almost run em over with a Mack truck and they still worked. (Though you could almost nuke an ASTRO Sabre, as big and thick as they were, but way to bulky for my tastes.) But the bad boy on the block for ASTRO25 is the APX series, as they do multi band with the 7000's, and are the only ones that can do Phase II currently. *Aside from that nifty SRX series the military plays with* And yes I have run HT1250's, XTS3000 R's, and played with an APX7000 a little bit. The usage of the 6000's tells me they need to be Phase II capable.. Hmmmmm wonder why?

Last edited by a moderator:

kf4lhp

XTS3K with the appropriate FW and flash (548008-000480-9) will do 9600 trunking. ASTRO Spectra Plus will also do 9600 trunking. They just won't support 700 MHz.

You can order an APX without Phase II support - I've had one with flash 901048-001480-0 roll across my desk. Save a few $$$ that way.

cowand

P25 Signal Reception Issues

I don't know what the deal is but all my scanners seem to loose the control channel signal for the new P25 system when the sun goes down, even the 996 on my scantenna in the attic, and the older system comes in choppy. Baffled in Berry Hill by the Fairgrounds.

Corn, I travel/work Nashville often, and for the most part I almost have to be under a tower or in view of it to get good service on the P25 side... I have the same problem. Other than that, I must be attached to a radio tower (60' up) to get full, uninterrupted P25 decoding on the Metro system. Some talkgroups are solely on the new system, and some are being broadcasted on both. I'll almost bet that when they shut down the old system completely it will get better. I can receive the TVRTS Nashville site, and M'boro site from a much greater distance than a much closer Metro site.

My 396 I travel with gets erratic with the reception on the Radio Shack 800 antenna, but I can attach the coax from the tower, and it follows the system well. Maybe you need an attic antenna, or outdoor antenna with a little elevation.

Hope this helps buddy.

Gatorman

The Joke

Wow, Milf's comment was CLEARLY a joke. I don't see how anyone could have taken offense at what he had to say. Did you have your finger in a vise or something Corn. :)))))

motohead10

Premium Subscriber
I live in the gallatin area and on my Pro-106 i can recieve nashvilles old system just fine but i have a hard time getting nashvilles new P25 system and the TVRS/TroopNET system even on my APX 7000 its not recieving well does anyone know if this will improve over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.