Town of Collierville Awards Motorola with Contract for Citywide Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
In the Town's Board of Mayor and Alderman meeting this evening, the Board approved and awarded Motorola Solutions with a $2.44 Million contract to build a new radio system for the city.

The system will be a Motorola P25 5 channel 700MHz TDMA system, utilizing the ASTRO 25 L1 Core release 7.14, and GTR 8000 base radios.

Subscriber equipment will be as follows:

*Fire - APX6000XE portables and APX4500 Mobiles
*Police - APX6000 portables and APX4500 Mobiles
*City Services - APX4000 portables and APX4500 Mobiles

Current estimated project completion is Sept 2014.

I am one of the system admins for this radio system, so any questions anyone has I'll do my best to answer them.

Also, look for this thread to be updated frequently as the project gets going.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Any linking vias software or direct patching planned for the TACN as it grows more active in WTN?

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
We had originally thought of joining the state system, but ultimately the decision was made by the higher powers not to.

The Town wants to be able to make their own decisions on equipment/infrastructure and have control over the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnoconnor98

Premium Subscriber
This time last year, the word was it was going to be a Motorola Express System.
It's good y'all are jumping all the way to P25 Phase 2, it's almost like that "planning ahead" stuff I hear other people do!

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
That's exactly the reason why. The original project bid was for a new trunked system with not many specifics.

After developing a committee to oversee the project, we made a lot of changes. We wanted to plan for the future and be as far ahead of the game as possible to get the most life out of this system.

ka4bni

Feed Provider
I agree that it is good to see Collierville going with a Phase II system. It could be ISSI'ed into our state system later down the line. I hope the other cities around Memphis planning upgrades make similiar changes. At least we're all moving toward "singing on the same sheet of music".

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Back when the TVR was being set up, when the TACN was mostly still a design and lot of ideas in heads, several metro areas were asked if they would like to be a part of a future statewide system. Memphis/Shelby County was among one of the first to say outright they wanted in on it. This was reaffirmed a couple of times over the last couple of years. Collierville has always been very independent when it comes to control over its communications systems. I suspect this is partly why they went with that LTR Passport and not joining the old Shelby County EDACS, or the new system once Memphis merged its VSELP in and they became the Legacy ASTRO they use today. At least now Collierville will have a system that is fully compatible with the TACN especially if Memphis/Shelby County do the expected upgrade of their system to make it a TACN site. And here's to hoping Bartlett will be doing the same soon. And with Germantown now on an P25 conventional, they too can link any time they need to.

johnoconnor98

Premium Subscriber
At least now Collierville will have a system that is fully compatible with the TACN especially if Memphis/Shelby County do the expected upgrade of their system to make it a TACN site. And here's to hoping Bartlett will be doing the same soon. And with Germantown now on an P25 conventional, they too can link any time they need to.

Memphis/Shelby County will never be a TACN site. They may ISSI into each other, but politics will never allow the City/County Mayors to give up control of a multi-million dollar system. (Especially to the hill-billies in Nashville!) ;)

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
Memphis/Shelby County will never be a TACN site. They may ISSI into each other, but politics will never allow the City/County Mayors to give up control of a multi-million dollar system. (Especially to the hill-billies in Nashville!) ;)

This is the exact same reason for Cville as well...

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
LOL they said same thing in Chatt.... and all the other areas that are now TACN, and/or about to become TACN....

It will keep being said on forums... And then surprise surprise surprise... Things happen and I love going back to read from the know it alls how it never will happen, never never. And never happened if you read a lot of their posts... But for some strange reason.. It is alive and well. I am not going to get into the standard arguments again, been there, done that... And have only been wildly wrong once. Again I will say this, there are many admins here on RR that work for Motorola, Harris, EFJ, and are active in the world of communications helping to run these radio systems that we discuss daily. Some are rather highly placed and may even be risking jobs to give data and or even discuss them. Some others of us have some pretty amazing connections we can't even openly discuss in States and Federal Government that are on the in the know and not as retarded as we all like to think they are. SO again, what happens, is what happens. :)

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Subscriber equipment will be as follows:

*Fire - APX6000XE portables and APX4500 Mobiles
*Police - APX6000 portables and APX4500 Mobiles
*City Services - APX4000 portables and APX4500 Mobiles

Lately, Motorola has been giving away their proprietary ADP encryption with these radios for free. Several public safety agencies around the nation have been using this voice privacy technology to their advantage, to thwart unwanted eavesdropping and online streaming of their communications, by encrypting all of their talkgroups. I hope that's not the case in Collierville.

73's

Ron

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
City of Collierville received approval from the FCC for their license for their new 700 system today. Callsign is WQTN806.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseFreqSum.jsp?licKey=3572210

System will be in staging at Motorola's CCSI facility in Schaumburg Ill at the end of this month.

Hope is to have the system on and testing by end of July/beginning of August 2014.

johnoconnor98

Premium Subscriber
If you haven't had a chance to go to STAGING in Schaumburg, you should go. The Logistics are pretty impressive. Plus, you get to see your what your $$$ bought early.

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
Another little update.

Site equipment has started arriving from the CCSI center and install will begin later this month or possibly May. Still on track for end of July for field equipment installs.

iamhere300

Again I will say this, there are many admins here on RR that work for Motorola, Harris, EFJ, and are active in the world of communications helping to run these radio systems that we discuss daily. Some are rather highly placed and may even be risking jobs to give data and or even discuss them. Some others of us have some pretty amazing connections we can't even openly discuss in States and Federal Government that are on the in the know and not as retarded as we all like to think they are. SO again, what happens, is what happens. :)

Wow. I sure wish some of us mere users here had some of those same contacts. You guys amaze me with all your "inside" knowledge.

Surely none of the users here have served on SIEC's, have their COM-L, been a consultant for state and local agencies, been involved with statewide and local systems from the budget process forward, None of them have owned or own a MSS or other successful radio companies, or tower companies.

And of course, others never have worked for APCO and other major industry leaders. Nope, not here on this list. Only the admins.

Connections? None. Hold on, I have a call from a buddy with SAFECOM.

Status
Not open for further replies.