What Scanner to Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

denwah

I'm new to all this and currently in the market for police scanner. I'm leaning towards the digital handheld but I'm worried once I shell out hundreds of dollars that police scanners will become obsolete. I also just came across something called rebanding. I'm wanting something thats going to last but I'm just so scared that police scanners will a thing of the past. Should I even bother looking for a scanner and just hold off. Any advice?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
#1 Where are you?
#2 Who do you wish to hear?
#3 What is your budget for a scanner?
With the above info we can tell you what type of scanner will work for you and the prices of said scanner. Below are basic prices of scanners today and what they will work on.
Non Trunking Non P25 $100.00
Trunking Non P25 $200.00
Trunking or Conventional P25 phase 1 $300.00 to $500.00
Trunking P25 phase 2 $500.00 to $600.00
Motorola Mototrbo, Kenwood Nextedge, P25 phase 1 or 2 encripted no scanner will work.

Nash_Listen

I just bought a Uniden Home Patrol II and absolutely love it. I did a LOT of research first and it comes very highly recommended and was easy to setup and covers every type (analog, phase 1, phase 2)

R4G

I think the Uniden BCD-396XT is good for now and the future when every agencies is going toward P25.

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
I've had a Uniden BCD436HP for two months. I've been monitoring public service comms since the early seventies. Out of countless scanners, this is the finest piece of equipment I have ever owned. Would not recommend anything else.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
With Radio Shack going out of business there are plenty of digital scanner deals to be found. The Pro-651 is a very capable phase 1 scanner and could be had for less than 200.00. Just pick up a copy of Win500 software and it will make programming a breeze.

BCD396XT is another great scanner that can be found for about 250.00 - 300.00. This 396XT is another great phase 1 scanner but is a little more complicated to operate. There are several software options for this scanner.

You can't go wrong starting out with either of these scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.