Chattanooga region TDOT and THP combine dispatch centers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFD288

The Chattanooga combo dispatch went live this past Wednesday. According to the media this is being considered statewide but no timetable was given. I had not heard anything about the Chattanooga combo until the night before they went live.

Scotty

CFD288

Forgot to add that it was pointed out that the THP dispatchers would have immediate access to the Smartway traffic cameras....so I'm thinking the combo dispatch concept may just be considered for Knoxville, Nashville and Memphis since they have the TDOT Smartway traffic centers.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
This is becoming standard in states that have statewide systems and have TMC's... The combining of SP/HP and DOT HAT's dispatch centers allows for pretty much instant interop for these agencies. TDOT's HELP already shares the THP TG's. Here in IN, the Hoosier Helpers, work hand in hand with Indiana State Police, and the TMC's are co located with ISP Dispatch Centers allowing ISP to have "eye's on" for incidents in many locations.

They are closing the Cookeville THP Dispatch and dispatching the Cookeville District out of Chattanooga. All the dispatcher had a choice of going to Chattanooga or finding a new job.

SCPD

QRT
I agree it's becoming more common and many will push public works away from the police and fire but majority are combining dispatch centers, having another's talkgroups or frequencies even if encrypted. It's becoming more specially in area prone to natural disasters and extreme weather happenings.

slatescan

Premium Subscriber
They are closing the Cookeville THP Dispatch and dispatching the Cookeville District out of Chattanooga. All the dispatcher had a choice of going to Chattanooga or finding a new job.

That stinks. They should be dispatch out Nashville at least. Nashville is closer then Chattanooga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zachgallop

At the Knox County 911 center they have acess to the Smartway Camreas and can control them. Not sure about the Highway Patrol Headquarters in Knoxville.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Considering that many DOT's do a LOT of Public Safety tasks, I still ponder why anyone would consider them Public Works agencies anymore. They do Law Enforcement, Emergency Assistance Services, Disaster Services, among other things on top of basic transportation systems maintenance. Of course, in most states now, they don't even do actual construction anymore. That is all now done by private commercial contractors that win the bidding processes. So it does make a lot of sense for DOT's and HP/SP agencies to get even closer together in their work.

jimg

Premium Subscriber

A few weeks ago, I was told that Nashville THP, District 3, is now dispatching for THP Lawrenceburg, District 7.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
THP and TDOT TMC's are indeed consolidating dispatch centers, and going to more of an regional theme. At this point they are cutting the number of centers in half. Saving money, but indeed making it "interesting" for those that are employed as dispatchers. Once we know how it all will end up, I can make adjustments to the DB listings to reflect these changes.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Yes the TG's and such will stay same. The old system of 1 center per district is whats going away. Its much more efficient this way.

fireEmt5281

Memphis/Jackson Dispatch

The Dist 4 radio room is closing per Dist 4 dispather. Memphis/Jackson dispatch will consolidate with TDOT Jackson, Dist 4 dispatchers will maintain their jobs but have to drive to or move to Jackson. No timetable on when this will occur. Will pass along any update.

Status
Not open for further replies.