RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Tennessee Radio Discussion Forum

Tennessee Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Tennessee.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 11:00 PM

Default Sevier Co Question

I'm thinking of sending a family member a scanner, he's a former cop with a line of duty injury and now living in Sevier Co. I think he would enjoy listening to public safety transmissions and I would like to pre-program the scanner before shipping it off. I have many years experience with scanners but zero experience with LTR. Any suggestions on what to include, analog or digital in the area? Realistically what is monitor-able? I believe he goes back and forth to Knoxville fairly often so that might be something to add besides the Sevier Co.

Thanks in advance for any advice . . .

Bill
Sponsored links
Old 04-02-2012, 8:35 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Is this info still current as of April 2012?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4yek View Post
They use the trunk system but still have the UHF conventional as Back-up. Sevierville Police use both the trunk and the conventional freqs, depends on their mood as to which they are using on a particular day.

Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg do not use the trunk system, they still use their regular frequencies.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:05 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by trido View Post
Is this info still current as of April 2012?

thanks
The current info is this:
1) Most county Volunteer fire departments and Rescue Squad still use the LTR system, except Seymour, Pitman Center, and Catons Chapel.

2) Pigeon Forge Police use the Pigeon Forge P25 Trunk system

3) Sevierville Police, Sheriff, Pigeon Forge Fire, Gatlinburg Police and Fire, and County Ambulance all use Nexedge.

Sucks trying to monitor the county anymore
A blood donor saved my life (Matthew 26:28).....Remember, Jesus loves you.
If 'con' is opposite of 'pro', is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old 04-02-2012, 12:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I am a little confused I see the P25 system in the database however your number one below and number three below the same sad Nexge system??

thanks

Quote:
The current info is this:
1) Most county Volunteer fire departments and Rescue Squad still use the LTR system, except Seymour, Pitman Center, and Catons Chapel.

2) Pigeon Forge Police use the Pigeon Forge P25 Trunk system

3) Sevierville Police, Sheriff, Pigeon Forge Fire, Gatlinburg Police and Fire, and County Ambulance all use Nexedge.

Sucks trying to monitor the county anymore
Old 04-03-2012, 2:30 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by trido View Post
I am a little confused I see the P25 system in the database however your number one below and number three below the same sad Nexge system??

thanks
The LTR system is the Land Air system: Land Air Systems Trunking System, Multiple, Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies
The P25 System is the Pigeon Forge System: Pigeon Forge Public Safety Trunking System, Pigeon Forge, Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies
The Nexedge system is a mystery to me, it uses some freqs that once were part of the LTR system and some that have been added. Since I have no way to monitor Nexedge, I have no way of knowing this system.
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2012, 9:49 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
The Nexedge system is a mystery to me, it uses some freqs that once were part of the LTR system and some that have been added. Since I have no way to monitor Nexedge, I have no way of knowing this system.
I spent last weekend in Gatlinburg, and I did notice how quiet my scanner was. I did some digging tonight, and I found the Nexedge system. Its a trunked system, callsign WQGI409. Its licensed to Sevier County, with Land Air as the POC.

It appears there are three sites, and 1500 mobile radios. The sites are:

Sevierville - 451.075, 453.3875, 453.875, and 460.025.

Gatlinburg - 460.1125

Newport - 453.6125 and 453.650.

I'm not exactly sure how a Nexedge trunked system works. I don't know if its like LTR, or like Motorola and EDACS with an active control channel. I've got to ask some questions and do more research.

The Gatlinburg site intrigued me, since it only has one frequency. I did more digging and found out that you can have a control channel and voice channel on the same frequency with Nexedge. So the Gatlinburg site may just be a single channel trunked system.

The next time I go back to Gatlinburg, i'm going to bring my laptop with a tapped scanner and DSD and see what I can find out.
Old 12-13-2012, 6:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhitby View Post
The next time I go back to Gatlinburg, i'm going to bring my laptop with a tapped scanner and DSD and see what I can find out.
You won't come up with much, DSD will not decode a trunked Nexedge system. I have tried many times, DSD will do fine on a single channel Nexedge if it isn't running in trunk mode. Something in the data stream doesn't jive well in DSD when it tries to decode a trunk.
Wish it would, but it would give you something to do if you get bored when you are here.
If you have any luck, by all means post it and tell us your story.
Have fun.
Old 01-08-2013, 8:39 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

OK that confirms the old UHF LTR is now NexEDGE... TY! Are they using the 800 LTR any now?
Support your local Scanologists!
Old 01-09-2013, 8:16 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The 800 system is used to link the UHF sites together. That was it purpose from the beginning for users that are in wide area mode.

Note: Not all users are using Nexedge, some are still using it in the clear, mainly Fire Departments.

Last edited by n4yek; 01-09-2013 at 8:22 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2013, 1:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by milf View Post
OK that confirms the old UHF LTR is now NexEDGE... TY! Are they using the 800 LTR any now?
Just for confimation, I didn't state that the LTR system WAS a Nexedge trunk, just stating that Nexedge used IN a trunk system would not decode on DSD.

Last edited by n4yek; 01-09-2013 at 3:33 PM..
Old 01-09-2013, 3:46 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

The Counties UHF TRS is licensed only for NexEDGE now. The 800, and Land Air LTR's are still very active analog. Most of the public safety on UHF is licensed for, or only NexEDGE in the county. The only other digital running as far as the county is concerned is PF's P-25 TRS, which so far is just PFPD until we get informed otherwise, and the lil oddball TRBO agency. If DSD was good on NexEDGE TRS, it would be loverly, so we could see just who transitions over to the new County TRS.

As far as the other VHF VFD's etc... I will finish getting thier narrowbanding updated over the next day. Got a LOT of work to do with Eastern TN as it got missed in the last round of updating.
Old 01-09-2013, 4:07 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by milf View Post
The Counties UHF TRS is licensed only for NexEDGE now.
Emission designators still show 11k3f3e
Here is a link to one of the freqs you have questioned:
ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Trunked License - WQGI409 - SEVIER, COUNTY OF - Frequency 000453.65000000
So where are you seeing Nexedge only designations?

there has not been any changes to the license since 2010
ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Trunked License - WQGI409 - SEVIER, COUNTY OF - Administration
Old 01-15-2013, 2:52 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

OK after some combined efforts of the admin team, I think we got this puppy on the right track... NOW- Any corrections as to "Flavor" of TG's please submit them asap. If an agency is running in NXDN (Digital) please submit that info so I can fix it up. Thanks, this kinda reminds of the ummm, interesting ole days when we were still figuring out the other "Mixed Mode" type systems.
Old 01-16-2013, 9:09 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Sevier County Public Safety Trunking System, Sevierville, Gatlinburg, , Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies

I am not going to comment anymore on this particular system, until a scanner or program can monitor NXDN accurately there is no need.

I will continue to monitor the Land Air system Land Air Systems Trunking System, Multiple, Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies where you can find county fire departments and rescue squad personnel as they are still analog and using the system on a daily basis.

Note to vacationers: The only Police department in Sever County you can currently monitor are Pigeon Forge Police and they are on a P25 trunk system: Pigeon Forge Public Safety Trunking System, Pigeon Forge, Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies
Attached Images

Last edited by n4yek; 01-16-2013 at 9:30 AM..
Old 02-16-2013, 9:04 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Question: Can different LTR systems sharing some of the same frequencies and TGs be combined into one scan bank on a BC785D?

Info:
Sevier County Public Safety Sevierville Site uses the following LCN and Frequency:
11 460.02500
14 451.07500
15 453.87500
18 460.62500
19 453.38750

Land Air Greentop Mountain Site uses the following LCN and Frequency
01 464.15000
02 464.60000
03 464.45000
07 464.41250
08 464.68750
14 451.07500
15 453.87500
18 460.62500
19 453.38750

Since many of the TGs are the same on either system, can they both be combined into one scan bank and work correctly on my BC785D?

Like this:

01 464.15000
02 464.60000
03 464.45000
07 464.41250
08 464.68750
11 460.02500
14 451.07500
15 453.87500
18 460.62500
19 453.38750

I have set this up in a bank already, but I haven't heard a lot of communication. I am wondering if I am only hearing part of the coms because I have combined the frequencies into one bank. If I seperate the systems, will it work better? This county is very confusing when it comes to scanning.. Thanks for your upcoming replies.
Sponsored links

Old 02-16-2013, 5:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The problem with your train of thought is that ALL 3 sites have an LCN 1 and Site 1 and Site 2 have an LCN 3.
You would not be able to fully track the system. You would need to create 3 systems, sites 1,2,&3 to be able to correctly follow the trunk.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6774
Site 4, Cove Mtn, never got built.

The frequency 460.0250 MHz you have on LCN 11 is NXDN Digital, so putting that into your scanner is useless since no scanner can decode NXDN.

If you ONLY wanted to monitor Site 1, Greentop, then your setup would work except LCN 11. (take it out)

Last edited by n4yek; 02-16-2013 at 5:23 PM..
Old 02-16-2013, 5:31 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Talking

The Sevier CO system looks like they all start on LCN 11. I would be looking to scan only Greentop (Land Air) and the Sevierville site for Sevier County Public Safety. The frequencies being essentially the same, with the exception of adding LCN 11 to the lineup.

I realize I would probably miss some departments, namely English Mountain VFD If I only scan Greentop.

I am trying to get this figured out in my head. I am a novice when it comes to LTR, you have to forgive me! Where I moved from, the EDACS system had six towers, and you only had to scan the one nearest to you to get nearly all the comms for the county.

***EDIT - Nevermind, I didn't read all the last reply (kids got me running crazy today!) ---Thanks for the info Danny. That makes sense, I will take out LCN 11.***

Last edited by c0wb0yup; 02-16-2013 at 5:37 PM..
Old 02-16-2013, 6:36 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0wb0yup View Post
The Sevier CO system looks like they all start on LCN 11. I would be looking to scan only Greentop (Land Air) and the Sevierville site for Sevier County Public Safety.
The Sevier County Public Safety system is all Nexedge, but some of the freqs are both analog and digital. Just concentrate on the Land Air System and forget about the listing for Sevier County Public Safety, all but dedicated digital freqs are in the Land Air System also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0wb0yup View Post
***EDIT - Nevermind, I didn't read all the last reply (kids got me running crazy today!) ---Thanks for the info Danny. That makes sense, I will take out LCN 11.***
Ha ha, i know how you feel, sometimes my grandkids love to be right there with me when I am on the computer.

Last edited by n4yek; 02-16-2013 at 6:38 PM..
Old 03-03-2013, 12:58 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just back from a trip in Gatlinburg, from Raleigh, NC. I was amazed by the lack of scanner traffic on 800mhz. I tried monitoring everything in the database & nothing but a few repairmen on one of the LTR systems, that was it. Bringing an 800mhz radio & scanner was a waste of time, but did monitor a lot of low band highway patrol activity.

However, I did hear a ton of amateur radio activity up there, more than in Raleigh, NC, that was cool. I'm lucky that most everything here in central NC is easily monitored on our 800mhz Viper System.
Be back up there next year same time, last week of February, had a blast!
Uniden HP1, Pro 197 APX7000
Old 03-03-2013, 1:58 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayustud View Post
Just back from a trip in Gatlinburg, from Raleigh, NC. I was amazed by the lack of scanner traffic on 800mhz.
The 800 MHz LTR freqs are tower link frequencies for the UHF LTR system, nothing more. They are using highly focused antennas and are hard to hear.
Quote:
I tried monitoring everything in the database & nothing but a few repairmen on one of the LTR systems, that was it.
There are many users, but the repairmen you heard use it a bunch. All but a couple of the counties Volunteer Fire Departments use the system.

Quote:
However, I did hear a ton of amateur radio activity up there, more than in Raleigh, NC, that was cool.
Be back up there next year same time, last week of February, had a blast!
Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Tags