RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Texas Radio Discussion Forum

Texas Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Texas.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 1:55 PM

Listening to DEA Dallas Center right now, Analog and in the clear. 418.6250 PL: 156.7 running 28's with Military Phonetics.
Sponsored links
Old 06-30-2009, 9:49 AM
CenTex DBA
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTracker View Post
...with Military Phonetics.
It's been my experience that most federal agencies use these. In this area CBP/ICE, TSA, FPS, DEA and USMS all use the NATO Phonetic Alphabet.
Old 07-02-2009, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasemt13 View Post
It's been my experience that most federal agencies use these. In this area CBP/ICE, TSA, FPS, DEA and USMS all use the NATO Phonetic Alphabet.
or a Modifed combonation of both (I have heard DOG used for D more than once)
Old 07-17-2009, 11:08 AM
CenTex DBA
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've been hearing a bunch of FPS traffic this morning. It seems that 3 different cities are having "demonstrations" at federal buildings. I have confirmed that while in San Antonio I can hear the Austin units as well (Paul and George). But, I can't figure out what the 3rd city I'm hearing is. For a look at what cities it could potentially be see here.

If someone is keeping track of which units they are hearing please let me know through pm so I can verify what other city I am hearing (cross referencing addresses has only helped verify Austin and San Antonio).

410.8000MHz 201 NAC
Old 08-19-2009, 9:14 AM
CenTex DBA
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Heads up! On 410.8000 I've also heard NAC 715, and from what I can find this NAC has not been heard anywhere else. The units I've heard on this have been out of Austin, Texas and with the signal strength I'm getting each time I believe it is only coming from there. I have not confirmed its use in any other city yet, but be on the lookout, I've left my PSR500 in NAC seach to find anymore. These units were in contact with Denver Megacenter so this could possibly be a region wide NAC.
Sponsored links
Old 03-19-2010, 4:59 PM
Database Admin

This dual-NAC thing is interesting. I got NAC 798 on 410.8 in Houston a little while ago with unit 716 talking to Denver. I've always seen NAC 201 in the past in Houston. The 7xx NACs appear to be regional with the 201 common across Texas from what I see in the database. Keep your eyes open and report what you find.
Old 03-19-2010, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcarlson View Post
The 7xx NACs appear to be regional with the 201 common across Texas from what I see in the database.
That's exactly what it is. All the major cities have for the most part their own 7xx NACs, and then the 201 NAC is for statewide Ch 1 access, and Ch 2(413.95 MHz) uses 293 NAC statewide as well. I have a complete list but it's not where I can get to it at the moment.
Old 03-21-2010, 8:15 PM
Database Admin

The FPS Region 7 P25 channel plan is now in the wiki.
Federal Protective Service - The RadioReference Wiki
Old 03-25-2010, 8:22 PM

Default avation freq?

what is hte avation frequency for the DEA?
Old 03-26-2010, 9:13 PM
CenTex DBA
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

In San Antonio they have used channels 3 & 4 in simplex and repeated modes to communicate with ground units.
Old 01-19-2011, 5:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have a question about DEA in the DFW area.

I pick up DEA Ch.1:
418.62500 DEA Ch 1A DEA Dallas Center (Dallas Primary) FM Federal
418.62500 DEA Ch 1D DEA Digital Repeater P25 Federal

Database link: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/d...=1&aid=86#cats

And some of the other channels every once in a while as well, but all I hear is loud static that goes on and off at a frequency of about once a second. Very loud static and silence back to back for 3-10 seconds at a time.

Is this encryption or is it not programmed correctly in my 396t? I know I can't decode the NAC code, but I have it set twice, once as analog only and search mode, and once as digital only (both in conventional).

Am I doing something wrong? I've monitored DEA for about a month now and nothing but static so far?
Old 01-19-2011, 5:59 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If they are transmitting P25 encrypted audio, it sounds what best could be described as R2D2 drank waaaay too much. Just a bunch of bleeps and churps and such...
If analog encryption, you would only hear "static".
Old 01-20-2011, 9:26 AM
CenTex DBA
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplec6 View Post
Is this encryption or is it not programmed correctly in my 396t? I know I can't decode the NAC code, but I have it set twice, once as analog only and search mode, and once as digital only (both in conventional).
It could be encryption, though one thought comes to mind. I'm not a Uniden guy, mostly own GREs, but in the last generation of digital "bank" scanners (as opposed to "list" I suppose), the order in which you programmed the frequencies mattered. Follow me for a second. If you have it (418.625) programmed twice, and as the scanner rolls along, it encounters the analog one first, and receives traffic, it will make a horrible buzzing noise, trying to decode the digital signal. Since it encountered the analog one first, and locks up on that, it never reaches the one you have stored as digital.

While the static is happening, do you ever manually pause/stop/wait on the digitally stored frequency to listen? I would.

It could very well be encryption though. I'd just like to rule the programming setup out first.

If it was stored in the opposite way (or scanning from the opposite direction), digital first, then the analog one, this would not be the factor, and it could be ruled out. But, if the analog one is encountered first, then the digital, it could be the problem.
Old 01-20-2011, 4:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Oh, I see. Great idea, I will switch over to the digital if it picks up on the analog first. I haven't paid close enough attention to tell if it is stopping on the digital or analog.

Last night, I could hear the chopper talking, but when the ground units started talking it would be that loud static sound that goes on and off at a frequency of about once a second.

I thought more people regularly listened to DEA so I was hoping I just had the frequencies wrong or something. Hopefully I can get it figured out tonight.

Since I have the 396t, it can't decode the NAC, so I hope that's not what's causing my problems!

Thanks emt
Old 01-20-2011, 9:20 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Oh, I see. Great idea, I will switch over to the digital if it picks up on the analog first. I haven't paid close enough attention to tell if it is stopping on the digital or analog.

Last night, I could hear the chopper talking, but when the ground units started talking it would be that loud static sound that goes on and off at a frequency of about once a second.

I thought more people regularly listened to DEA so I was hoping I just had the frequencies wrong or something. Hopefully I can get it figured out tonight.

Since I have the 396t, it can't decode the NAC, so I hope that's not what's causing my problems!

Thanks emt
On the 396T, if you program a conventional frequency with the tone/code field set to "search" (in other words, you're trying to determine if a PL/CTCSS tone, or DCS code is being used), the scanner will ignore digital transmissions. It would pick up analog signals only, and would display the tone, or DCS code (if any) found on the signal.

If you, instead, enter "none" in that field, the scanner will receive both analog and digital signals. It would not display any tone or DCS code information, but a small "P25" would appear when a digital signal was being received.

The same behavior applies for Close Call or Custom Search settings. Telling the scanner to search for a tone or code will cause it to ignore digital signals during a search.
Old 01-21-2011, 1:58 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I recorded analog DEA traffic last March in the Dallas area around IH30 and the west end area on a digital recorder. Wow, what a catch.

I have the recording of such, but cannot post it because I don't currently have a open source method of transferring the MP3 into a URL. Most of the ones I've tried have eventually asked for money. One day, soon, I am going to buy such a program & get back up to that area to scan the DEA, my favorite agency.

I am curious about the open discussion of monitoring such agencies. In Waco, I am purposefully keeping mum about the surveillance traffic I've been hearing as of late on TxWarn and analog channels. I don't know how "informed" local LE are about RR. I don't want to encourage them to flip that switch.
Old 01-21-2011, 9:24 AM

Real easy well to tell what you're hearing: if the "static" has a brief high-pitched beep at the end of it you're hearing analog encryption. If it doesn't, it's P25 or something else. Use these sound samples for reference: P25 - Analog DES Encryption
Old 01-21-2011, 1:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.22460/22.453; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Ok thanks for the guidance guys.

I think everything is programmed right because on system is directly imported from RR, and the other that scans the exact same feds is from hiegtx's file he shared with me, which saved me tons of time.

Something might be wrong with my 396t though is no one else has noticed this weird problem on the Dea freqs.
At least a few times a night/day, sometimes over 50 times in a day,
it will stop on the digital channel and I will hear this noise. it is a normal static sound that lasts about half a second, and then half a second of silence, which repeats for the duration of the transmission. I experience this behavior on both the digital channels and the analog channels as well. it is very weird. I have heard them every once in a while though and it sounds nice and clear on the same exact channels and systems that do this weird noise.

I figured if this is normal then one of you guys would certainly know what I'm referring to.

And of course no Intel or surveillance should be discussed here, its just fun to listen to.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I have a question about DEA in the DFW area.

I pick up DEA Ch.1:
418.62500 DEA Ch 1A DEA Dallas Center (Dallas Primary) FM Federal
418.62500 DEA Ch 1D DEA Digital Repeater P25 Federal

Database link: Federal Agency Frequencies Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

And some of the other channels every once in a while as well, but all I hear is loud static that goes on and off at a frequency of about once a second. Very loud static and silence back to back for 3-10 seconds at a time.

Am I doing something wrong? I've monitored DEA for about a month now and nothing but static so far?
Guys! I finally ran across the dang annoying noise i was talking about in this post!!!!

It is, indeed, "OTAR" (Over-The-Air-Rekey). And it's loud and obnoxious! I wish I could make it stop. I've just locked out those DEA freq. now because it was so annoying to hear that all the time! I don't know how you guys put up with that noise, but I sure can't.
Old 04-22-2011, 6:42 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Is DEA Dallas [what Freq?] Analog aka 156.7 Hz or P25 $156 ???

Quote:
Guys! I finally ran across the dang annoying noise i was talking about in this post!!!!

It is, indeed, "OTAR" (Over-The-Air-Rekey). And it's loud and obnoxious! I wish I could make it stop. I've just locked out those DEA freq. now because it was so annoying to hear that all the time! I don't know how you guys put up with that noise, but I sure can't.