Texas DPS in the DFW area

Status
Not open for further replies.

ph03nix42

Sorry if this should be posted somewhere else in the forum.

Anyone in the DFW area have the DPS plugged into their scanner and have any luck receiving?

I get spotty signals all throughout the DFW area even with all the region plugged into the scanner.

396XT w/Larson 150/450/850 mag mount

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
DPS comes in well in the DFW area, but I guess it depends on where you are. In Allen, I get DPS Dallas (B2), Sherman (B1), Greenville, Paris, Sulphur Springs. On good nights I can get Tyler, Denton. I can't speak for the west though.

Russell

nd5y

At work (Meacham airport) on a hand held I can hear the repeaters in Aledo and Denton real well and the Decatur repeater is marginal.

kw5kw

Aledo (17a) can be heard as far east as The Colony with my Pro-96 and my Pro-106 with a stock antenna. However I can't hear Garland (Dallas); at my location in far west Fort Worth with an outside antenna while I can get Waco and Decatur.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
Aledo (17a) can be heard as far east as The Colony with my Pro-96 and my Pro-106 with a stock antenna. However I can't hear Garland (Dallas); at my location in far west Fort Worth with an outside antenna while I can get Waco and Decatur.

Does Mineral Wells or Garland dispatch Tarrant Co DPS? I've never figured that one out.

Mike

jasonavtx

Mike-- i listen to Parker County DPS all the time, never heard them dispatching for Garland on the Radio ID of WXR376 out of Mineral Wells, but i have heard Hurst DPS units transmit on there as if they are linked somehow. But to hit on the real thread-- you can virtually pick up all DPS traffic on any of their freqs since it is universal statewide for TX. just hard to determine what cities it could be unless they identify by city of transmit, ie...Mineral Wells, Waco and so on. Supposedly soon accross the state all law enforcement is going to a system that is beyond digital & trunking in that our scanners will be obsolete to pickup anything. hope that is wrong!! anyone heard this one yet?

SCPD

QRT
Sorry if this should be posted somewhere else in the forum.

Anyone in the DFW area have the DPS plugged into their scanner and have any luck receiving?

I get spotty signals all throughout the DFW area even with all the region plugged into the scanner.

396XT w/Larson 150/450/850 mag mount

I'm up north of you, I get Sherman/Denton/Garland/Paris/Greenville/Sul-Springs/Tyler and Canton all fine just about 99.9% of the time. but that's also on a fixed mount antenna. In the car I only get the transmitting station that's withing 40 miles or so of me. I scan with a cushcraft 800MHz curly antenna (drilled) on a Larsen NMO mount on a PSR600 while driving. Unfortunately, Mobile antenna's just won't hear as much as fixed antenna's. Bet if you put your 396XT on some LMR400 coax and a VHF J-Pole 30 feet up or more, you'll hear better.

Firetxmi

So is there any rhyme or reason as to DPS unit numbering? Where can I find a list if there is one?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So is there any rhyme or reason as to DPS unit numbering? Where can I find a list if there is one?
See if this post helps.

I think there is a more extensive one in one of the multiple DPS related threads, but right now, I don't have the time right now to do a more exhaustive search. The regions maps are on the Tx DPS Wiki page, linked from the Collaborate link from the DPS main page.

DPS8504

Dps

As of 12-1-09 we have had a massive unit number change to coincide with the Legislative boundry realingment we just went through.

Also Mineral Wells handles the Tarrant county units now off the Aledo repeater.
We still handle Decatur, out of Wichita Falls and that tower is only 35 feet.

SCPD

QRT
I was wondering what that was, 1900's in Dallas? Plus it seems the Dallas (Garland) Signal has significantly increased.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Well, I started hearing 63XXs and 65XXs use San Antonio today (159.0975MHz; that might explain that)- usually I'm not hearing those until I get further north in Region 6 (north of Austin to Waco).

Might have to dig around the internets to find more clues...

jason51

DPS Wichita

Will Wichita falls continue to handle Decatur/ WIse county? I heard rumor of a switch to Mineral Wells also.

Para078

We used to have 112x and 153x in Kaufman County, now all I hear is 112x numbers. I thought we were a 2 sergeant area, and that's why the 2 sets of numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.