Texas federal government monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

nd5y

Frequencies for federal government agencies in in Texas are listed in various places on RadioReference.com

First check your local county in the database:
Texas Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Some counties have federal frequencies listed, often in a separate Federal section, or on their collaboration wiki page.

There is also a drop down list box under Texas Areawide Frequencies on the main Texas database page that links to Federal Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference. It has a collaboration wiki page at Federal (TX) - The RadioReference Wiki

Many common nationwide federal frequencies are used in Texas and listed in the wiki:
Category:US Federal Government - The RadioReference Wiki
[URL="http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Common_Frequencies]Common_Frequencies - The RadioReference Wiki[/URL]

The Federal Monitoring Forum and Military Monitoring Forum can be found on the main forum index page and contain several Texas related posts

There is a http://forums.radioreference.com/texas-radio-discussion-forum/143008-texas-federal-monitoring.html thread.

For for information on military frequencies in Texas see this thread:
http://forums.radioreference.com/te...4183-texas-military-activity-frequencies.html

Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I was listening to CBP San Antonio on "Judson Tower" (163.775 MHz CT 151.4) and heard an unidentified Omaha unit (he just said "Omaha"), call "940" (KAK940 out of Laredo) and asking for "the ticket." She then proceeded to give him coordinates near San Diego, Texas. 940 then said that the ground contact would be "Foxtrot 227," on "Alice Tower (170.575)." Omaha (definitely a helo) then responded that being that far away would put him out of fuel range of any other calls and he wanted to make sure this was a worthy call for the resources. 940 then advised they were tracking 15-20 people for about 3 hours. Omaha then asked if they could be found on "Freer Tower" (we don't have any repeaters in our database as Freer or Duval County). 940 re-advised that they were working on the Alice Repeater.

1. Does anyone know the "Foxtrot" callsign, or have they heard it before? I keep a good log, and can say I've never heard a Foxtrot before. I'm guessing Field Agent.

2. Does anyone know a Duval County repeater they may call "Freer Tower?" I'd like to pin this down.

3. Did anyone catch the Omaha unit number further south as he worked the call?

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Admittedly, that Wiki isn't perfect either. It is missing a lot of the South Texas information for CBP, specifically BP.

I think we should start organizing the Border Patrol by BP Sectors on the Texas Federal Database page (originally linked by the OP). I think it would benefit the database page (especially in South Texas where many BP frequencies are common in both simplex and repeated fashion) if we could just display the BP Sector frequencies that have been identified/confirmed for that sector. The only problem with this is the sheer size of some of these sectors. I think this would promote uniformity of names (alpha tags & descriptions). By doing this we can also simplify the wiki.

Texas has 5 sectors:
Del Rio Sector (Stations: Abilene, Brackettville, Carrizo Springs, Comstock, Del Rio, Eagle Pass, Rocksprings, San Angelo, Uvalde);
El Paso Sector (Stations: Alamogordo, Albuquerque, Deming, El Paso, Fabens, Fort Hancock, Las Cruces, Lordsburg, Santa Teresa, Truth or Consequences, Ysleta) Some of the El Paso Sector Stations are in New Mexico;
Laredo Sector (Stations: Cotulla, Dallas, Freer, Hebbronville, Laredo North, Laredo South, Laredo West, San Antonio, Zapata);
Marfa Sector ( Stations: Alpine, Amarillo, Big Bend, Fort Stockton, Lubbock, Marfa Station, Midland, Pecos, Presidio, Sanderson, Sierra Blanca, Van Horn);
Rio Grande Valley Sector (Stations: Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Falfurrias, Fort Brown, Harlingen, Kingsville, McAllen, Rio Grande City, Weslaco).

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
1. Does anyone know the "Foxtrot" callsign, or have they heard it before? I keep a good log, and can say I've never heard a Foxtrot before. I'm guessing Field Agent.

From a pretty good source- he told me to look in to the stations of Laredo Sector. Then identify if any of the stations begin with an "F" and that could be the station identifier for "Foxtrot" and a specific agent number. Following that convention, the Freer Station is in Laredo Sector, and they happened to be working near Freer, so I'd say that question is answered.

Today I heard: Omaha 3SA working 940 for a ticket out of Laredo West. The ground unit he was supposed to contact was "Whiskey 264" and of course, no "Whiskey" callsign, but by the naming convention mentioned above (a good source), this would identify him with "Laredo West." I'd say the rule worked again. But, 940 told him he was working on "Mike" Tower. I can't identify this tower- not seeing any "Mikes" in Laredo Sector.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
On CBP 165.2375MHz about 1300hrs CDT:

"Omaha 34K" (Cessna 550 Citation II) working "Mike103," a marine unit. Aeroflight shows this to be a Houston aircraft, though these aircraft (especially helos) rotate frequently. Anyone in the eastern part of Texas hear these guys working? Omaha said he'd be working for the next two hours...

SCPD

QRT
Admittedly, that Wiki isn't perfect either. It is missing a lot of the South Texas information for CBP, specifically BP.

The WIKI starts and ends with YOU All of us can work together in collaboration and have a darn nice Texas Federal Wiki Like them yanks got. So lets get in there and start some editing.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Was hearing Omaha 295 on 165.2375 (couldn't tell if it was simplex or repeated):

"Omaha 295 to CAP 4240."

He called a few times never receiving an answer. I searched his number and it comes up as N16295, a P-3AEWC (Airborne Early Warning and Control). I can say this is the first time I've caught one of these.

I wonder if he was calling Civil Air Patrol to identify a plane? I'm positive he said "CAP 42-40" though I'm not sure that "cap" means Civil Air Patrol in this instance. Has anyone ever caught CBP AMD talking to CAP on either's frequencies?

ecps92

CAP 4240 is a TX Civil Air Patrol Wing Aircraft.
Tail # 9879E a Cessna 182R

When CAP [My Experience here in New England] and the USAF do intercept training they tend to use the VHF Air Bands with CAP Chit-Chat on their narrowband channels and the Fighters on a VHF/UHF Air Tactical ....

Was hearing Omaha 295 on 165.2375 (couldn't tell if it was simplex or repeated):

"Omaha 295 to CAP 4240."

He called a few times never receiving an answer. I searched his number and it comes up as N16295, a P-3AEWC (Airborne Early Warning and Control). I can say this is the first time I've caught one of these.

I wonder if he was calling Civil Air Patrol to identify a plane? I'm positive he said "CAP 42-40" though I'm not sure that "cap" means Civil Air Patrol in this instance. Has anyone ever caught CBP AMD talking to CAP on either's frequencies?

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
...and I found this real good pdf for Texas CAP radio usage. It shows how the EFJohnnson radios are programmed up, and the last page includes a map of the repeater locations in Texas.

Enjoy.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Hearing Omaha 295 calling "CAP 4272" this morning. I think it odd I've never heard these two organizations working together and now, 2 days in a row, I've heard them.

295 just calls and calls on 165.2375 but CAP must not be listening on this frequency...

Is this From CAP Grp IV out of Houston? They must be working the coastal areas...

ecps92

Maybe using the old Interop channel, of You listen to mine and I will listen to yours? or Ooops, Grabed the wrong MIC again :)

Hearing Omaha 295 calling "CAP 4272" this morning. I think it odd I've never heard these two organizations working together and now, 2 days in a row, I've heard them.

295 just calls and calls on 165.2375 but CAP must not be listening on this frequency...

Is this From CAP Grp IV out of Houston? They must be working the coastal areas...

steve0622

I'm here in Electra, right outside of Wichita Falls and have been hearing a lot of tags being ran and housing descriptions on 163.1000 and have not been able to narrow down where its comming from or what it is. Its comming in pretty clear on my end no encryption or pl tones so it has to be pretty close.

Status
Not open for further replies.