RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Texas Radio Discussion Forum

Texas Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Texas.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 5:03 AM

Hello Danny - Good post!

Like I mentioned there are a lot of rumors flying about the McKinney System and who is going to join and who wants to join. We got a book by D/FW Communications in Fannin County outlying the radio system and the costs if We wanted to Join it. I believe both Grayson and Hunt were also sent this also, It shows future expansion into Princeton and North towards Blue ridge. I guess I confused that with Princeton actually going on it. And yes, to add a site/site controller was in the million dollar range let alone the radio cost of 5 to 7 thousand dollars a piece.

I know some McKinney Fire guys who absolutely hate it, but I also know some McKinney cops who love it and rub it in us scanner folks faces every chance they can get. But many of the officers also know it is kind of BS because there are decent folks out here who are not criminals that like listening. I've also heard (And I am not knocking radio reference at all) That McKinney wanted their Police traffic off the internet and was really concerned that anyone with an iPhone could listen in without the need of a scanner. Radio Reference is NOT a top secret website for both Crook or Cop.

If I pay half a million for Radio Encryption I am going to use it also. But I would like to see them wise up and create a few TG's in the clear for at least interoperability reasons.

We'll all see how this unfolds over the next few years. It sux not being able to hear them but its also comforting knowing that criminals can't either. McKinney is professional enough that I still feel safe in their city even without being able to hear them, Dallas I'd be Leary of in the same circumstance.

Brian, Nice website ... bookmarked ya.

73's

Last edited by MaxTracker; 04-09-2011 at 5:07 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2011, 2:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

As someone who has been in Public safety communiations for over 20 years I see good and bad here. I see the need to SOMETIMES encrypt [stakeouts and very sensetive issues] BUT other times from my experience many folks in "scannerland" do indeed help out with info. If LEO's are looking for a certain car or person [if it's sooo secret why broadcast it in newspapers or on TV?] I've been out looking for a smoke check and have someone with a scanner go thru the area and notice it and let us know [saved more then 1 home in several instances]

With todays economic woes I cannot forsee too many more changeovers without the population having a fit about the waste [not when you have teachers laid off other personal also getting the pink slip and shutting down other services]
Old 04-15-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall7 View Post
Hearing some activity tonight on TG 6 (dec), that sounds like some tactical PD work.

UPDATE (4/8/11, 8:30 pm): Just went silent.
Yeah, I heard that too. Given their love for encryption, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Must have been an exercise or rookies who were purposely not shown the encrypt button :-) It was all over by 8:30 when the med unit was called in for minor injuries.

I don't know how encryption is handled on their radios. Maybe it's by channel and they didn't realize that this particular channel was 'open', given that they have seldom used it since switching over.

The odd thing is I hear a fair amount of traffic on ch. 1 in the clear. Why not encrypt everything just to keep things simple. Given that scanners are cheaper than the moto's, maybe they have other parties whom they want to be in on the discussion - sometimes.
Old 11-07-2011, 1:36 PM

Default McKinney P25

I am thinking about moving here but I would like to hear the McK-PD are they still Encryption or have they let up on it? And I hope someone can make a program that would help us hear them. That alot of money spent on this area.
Old 11-07-2011, 4:13 PM

Even though a TG is encrypted its still recorded by dispatch (at least most main TG's are). You can always submit an open records request and pay for a recording for a certain time frame.
Sponsored links

Old 11-08-2011, 1:33 AM

ok so what can I hear if I am In McKinney?
Old 11-08-2011, 8:05 AM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschandua87 View Post
ok so what can I hear if I am In McKinney?
The encrypted portioon of the McKinney system is not monitorable. No way to receive it, no software to decode it, etc. However, the fire groups are in the clear and could be tracked.

You'd also be able to monitor the Collin County system, which also includes a number of the smaller cities.Depending on where, in the McKinney area you settle, you may also be able to monitor the PAWM (Plano, Allen, Wylie, Murphy) and Frisco systems.

Other area systems, a bit farther out, but possible depending on location, scanner & antenna used, would be the Denton (county) system, maybe Lewisville or Carrollton, Garland, Mesquite. Dallas is Uhf conventional, but is a fairly strong signal. So is Dallas County (Vhf-high), both found on the Dallas County page.

There are other systems and cities, again depending on your exact location, as well as scanner & antenna used, but still plenty to hear besides McKinney PD.
Old 11-08-2011, 8:06 AM
RR DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschandua87 View Post
I am thinking about moving here but I would like to hear the McK-PD are they still Encryption or have they let up on it? And I hope someone can make a program that would help us hear them. That alot of money spent on this area.
Don't count on a "program" to let us hear them. It is illegal to decode encrypted communications. Right now, all you can hear is some occasional FD traffic, but it's been spotty in my experience.

In response to the poster upthread who mentioned McKinney ISD: They were never on the McKinney TRS. Up until a few years ago, they had their own VHF radios, but now they've gone entirely to Nextel. I THINK McKinney PW has gone that way, too?
Old 12-01-2011, 8:39 PM

Exclamation help with collin county tx feeds for sheriffs dept

yes mckinney texas police still blocked fire are still on line but can not find out what happenn to collin county sheriffs feeds ?
Sponsored links
Old 12-01-2011, 9:52 PM

Collin County re-banded recently. Do a search on the RadioReference forums and you'll find some helpful posts for tuning in. Your scanner must be capable of scanning re-banded trunked radio systems, though.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:21 PM

What type of scanner do you need to buy too pickup McKinney? I was wondering if a brand new would work or used?
Old 09-27-2014, 3:12 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Radios

I have a GRECOM PSR-800 I brought it when they come
out. Whistler is now making the GRE scanners again. Go to scannermaster.com look for
The whistler scanner ws 1080.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:26 AM

Default McKinney

What other types of digital scanners will pickup McKinney? I dont like the whistler model.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebuff198689 View Post
What other types of digital scanners will pickup McKinney? I dont like the whistler model.
Any of the scanners on this list:

GRE manufactured scanners:
GRE PSR-500 (Handheld)
GRE PSR-600 (Base/Mobile)
GRE PSR-800 (Handheld)
RadioShack PRO-106 (Handheld)
RadioShack PRO-197 (Base/Mobile)
RadioShack PRO-18 (Handheld)
The above were manufactured by GRE, which has ceased production and disbanded. While a few new units may still be found, they are scarce. For the PSR-800, its price had escalated above the original market pricing. This is largely because the PSR-800 was the only current scanner that could handle X2-TDMA/Phase II talkgroups (before Uniden released the 436HP & 536HP). Besides checking dealers for any remaining ‘new’ stock (this would be the random Radio Shack store, in most cases, with a Pro-106 or Pro-197 stuck in the back room), don’t overlook the used market, either in the classifieds here, on eBay, other online sites, or occasionally local pawn shops or yard sales. For any GRE manufactured scanner purchased used, make sure it's complete (all parts included, including battery holders), and in good working order. With GRE now no longer in the picture, parts and service support are problematic.

Note that Whistler Group has acquired the intellectual property of the old GRE product line, and has started releasing units using those designs. However, there has been no commitment that they will provide parts and service support for the former GRE units.

Current Uniden Models
Uniden BCD396XT (Handheld)
Uniden BCD996XT (Base/Mobile)
Uniden HomePatrol-1 (Base/Mobile)

Uniden also released these two new scanners in the first quarter of 2014. They have some of the features of the Home Patrol, including the ease of programming via the stored RadioReference database, as well as functions carried over from the XT series scanners. They also are capable of P25 Phase II decoding.
Uniden BCD436HP (Handheld)
Uniden BCD536HP (Base/Mobile)

Slightly Older Models (Discontinued, but can be found in used, but good, condition. These cannot utilize the NAC codes for P25 conventional frequencies):
Uniden BCD396T (Handheld)
Uniden BCD996T (Base/Mobile)

The same comment about checking eBay, the classifieds here on Radio Reference, as well as local pawn shops or yard sales apply to the Uniden scanners as well.

Whistler manufactured scanners:
WS1040 (Radio Shack version PRO-651)
This handheld scanner is equivalent to the PSR-500 & Pro-106.
WS1065 (Radio Shack version PRO-652)
This base/mobile scanner is equivalent to the PSR-600 and PRO-197.
Note: Whistler includes the pc interface cable (and the ac adapter for the handheld scanners) with the unit. These are extra cost options with Radio Shack.
WS1080 This handheld scanner is equivalent to the PSR-800.
The WS1095 should be released by the end on 2014. It's a base/mobile version of the WS1080, with a detachable face.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:45 AM

Just make sure you realize, you are not going to hear much on McKinney as all PD is encrypted. I would not buy anything new to listen to their system unless you want to cover all the surrounding systems as well.

I cant believe somebody has their system up for people to listen to online, yet nothing for the PAWM system at all still but I guess that is a whole other topic.
Sponsored links