HAM Apco P25 Systems in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

atms169

Hey guys, I'm looking for Amateur Radio P25 systems in the Texas area and I'm having a tough time finding any. You would think they would be in the Radio Reference Database, but sadly they are not.

I know Austin has some and I can't find any frequencies.

Thanks in advance
KE5KAF

jhooten

I asked this question to the ex-president of the Austin club this morning at the Bastrop County swap meet. All three of the Midland repeaters had to go back to the factory. No P25 repeaters are currently operational in Austin. Maybe in the future.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
No P25 repeaters are currently operational in Austin.

Man, when I was in Austin a few weeks ago (ok, maybe about 2 months ago), the 146.940 machine was still working.

I'd still try it out, 146.940 MHz (- shift) NAC 107 (talkgroup 00001). It's mixed mode, so you'll get a bunch of people replying in analog wondering what the f is happening on their repeater.

There is a good Yahoo Group called APCO25hamradio where you can find information on repeaters in the US.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
...You would think they would be in the Radio Reference Database, but sadly they are not.
Actually, you should not think they are in the RR DB since other than ARES/RACES/Skywarn no amateur radio information is in the DB. This is a policy that is not likely to ever change since there are plenty of Ham specific web resources for just this purpose.

See sections 6.1.1 and 6.1.2 of the Database Administrator Handbook.

atms169

Yeah, I tried to get ahold of him. He's obviously busy.

I have my XTS2500 and have a chance to grab another one. Maybe I'll look for a Quantar repeater (Mixed Mode) and setup a system here in Laredo. I have Dstar but, no Hams here want to use it, they enjoy their HF.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I have my XTS2500 and have a chance to grab another one. Maybe I'll look for a Quantar repeater (Mixed Mode) and setup a system here in Laredo. I have Dstar but, no Hams here want to use it, they enjoy their HF.

Awesome. I find when talking to other hams about P25 they give you the blank stare. Then when you explain it's a common digital protocol, they only give you a slightly less disinterested stare. Keep your chin-up. Those of us who know and use P25 love it, for a good reason.

Take a look at that Yahoo Group and repeater-builder dot com for great info on P25 repeaters. Keep us updated on your progress. I try not to go to Laredo much, but if there was a P25 repeater down there I'd make sure to go use it. If you are interested in a VHF pair, get on the boat now, as I've heard from others, you'll be on a list for awhile. Evidently, the society is backed up. Also, "advertise" it as mixed mode as much as you can (with other users and on the air), so Elmers don't get confused when they hear the digital hash. That being said, putting a tone on the transmit of the analog side will assist analog only users from hearing the digital hash (if they program an encode/decode CTCSS tone). This helps reduce the amount of buzz analog users hear, so they don't get fed up, and never come back. Just my $00.02.

atms169

I'm assuming your a Ham as well. If so, you will understand how clammed up in a box most of these elder hams are about the digital modes. I've had my Dstar system here since 2006.. I'm still the only one using it!

Good idea on the P25, need to find a reasonable system first. Not much fun talking to myself...

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I'm assuming your a Ham as well. If so, you will understand how clammed up in a box most of these elder hams are about the digital modes.

This is one mode I haven't jumped in to yet. One day, when the funds are flowing more freely, I'll jump on this wagon.

I've had my Dstar system here since 2006.. I'm still the only one using it!

That's a shame. Are there just very few users with capable ICOM rigs or do they just not like the sound? Is your's connected to the internet for VoIP?

Good idea on the P25, need to find a reasonable system first. Not much fun talking to myself...

I hear that, and that's why I enjoyed the Austin P25 system (146.940). It still offered an analog side, but there was good group of guys who were always monitoring it in P25, so anytime you felt like it, flip over to digital and chat away.

I'll still take the Racal to swapmeets though. If you're ever around a Central Texas hamfest, I'll be on 147.425 NAC 293 RID 0000117. A buddy and I use that to get around all the oldies on 2m simplex, so we can advise each other of good deals (we split up when we hit the doors, each knowing what the other needs/wants).

Boat, KF5BYD

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
...how clammed up in a box most of these elder hams are about the digital modes.
:lol:
I am one of those elder hams and have no problem whatever with digital modes; however (see below)

I've had my Dstar system here since 2006.. I'm still the only one using it!
And may that long be the case.

[rant]
Why did ARRL support and push the DSTAR just because it was developed by the JARL? There was a perfectly good standard here in APCO25. I believe in digital, I just don't believe in DSTAR, as I have said on many occasions. But that is another topic.
[/rant]

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Why did ARRL support and push the DSTAR just because it was developed by the JARL? There was a perfectly good standard here in APCO25.

Agreed, but in that same vein, they shouldn't promote just one digital protocol, but all of them. At least P25 is supported by multiple vendors, and a few of them are already established in amateur radio. DSTAR is ICOM only, which isn't quite appealing to many hams, who would be forced to buy from only one end source.

atms169

That's not entirely true. ICOM is the only one that jumped on and made Dstar using the AMBE codec. Yaesu, Kenwood and the others can make the radios too with it. Dstar is great, I love it!

However, too many hams are stuck their ways and won't even look at Dstar. I do wish they went the IMBE Apco route however, it works for me.

What I don't like about the whole deal is that the AMBE chip is not available for us HAMS to tinker with. But I guess it's like buying a computer that has an Intel processor chip in it

Jump on board Dstar it's fun!!

Question, what is it exactly that you don't like about Dstar?

atms169

D-Star is a registered trademark of ICOM. That's all I have against it. "D-Star" is ICOM through and through. Other companies may be able to develop similar systems with the AMBE codec, but it won't be D-Star unless they're also paying ICOM to use that name.

P25 por vida.

That's just for the name, so what... Kenwood could build a radio that would work on the Dstar network, they just couldn't call is Dstar. What's the big deal?

Anyone that I have spoken too about Dstar, that "hate" Dstar, nobody has any good arguments. It's just stuck in their heads that they don't like Dstar. You ask any hardcore P25 guy about Dstar and they want to cut your head off!

It's like the days of moving AM repeaters into FM all over again. Everyone's freaking out! I play with all modes, I like everything in Ham radio and I don't put any one mode down. I think Hams forget what Ham radio is about sometimes.

Ah well... Get on Dstar, you might find you like it?!?!?!

KE5PL

P25

We have had a conventional P25 up in Midland County, Texas for 5-6 years. 147.22+ NAC 293. Not mixed mode. We have 8-10 users, mostly public safety types that have it in their company radios. As P25 has been around here since '97, I suspect that the surplus market may increase the popularity and affordability of P25. We are phasing out the Astro Spectras for XTL2500s, but have been passing them down to the VFDs and Road and Bridge.

ae1c

P25 systems

I'm glad to say that here in eastern MA, P25 is alive and well. We have 3 VHF systems as well as 3 UHF and more coming. I think there are about 15-20 users at this point and more are joining the ranks daily.

atms169

I'm interested in putting together a VHF P25 Digital system here. What's your thoughts:

Should I:

A - Build a repeater system to enable NAC pass-through on the cheap end?

B - Purchase a used Quantar system?

reedeb

Te3llnya what send me the funds and I'll get a Dstar radio and then I'll chat wid ya. Till then I'll stay with my old analog rigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.