Texas Vacation...Need some advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mibzzer15

So I will be taking a trip to Texas for 2 weeks this summer taking my GRE PSR-300 and BCD996XT along with my WAN-97A antenna....I will be staying with family in Houston, Texas....and so my question is what are some of the best public safety, air, and military databases to program for my scanners? And all around what are the best ones to listen too?

I should also be in the Mission Control area for the July 8th launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis. Any frequencies I should be listening too specifically?

Also I may be asking a bit much....but if anyone here already has a good scanner file for the Houston area, would you mind sharing it? Just let me know and ill send you my email if you can email it to me. Thanks!

And any other advice would be great too! =D

Thank you very much! Can't wait for my trip to sunny Texas!

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Texas Gulf Coast Trip

Howdy

The prior post has excellent listings. I would also add in US Coast Guard (Chanels 16 & 9) if you will be closer in the Galveston Island /cost area as those are active at times for SAR.... Also, you might add the NORAD and 311.0 and 321.0 (AM) frequencies for USAF as well. Texas common (TX Law 1-2-3 and TX Fire 1-2-3) are always good if you are out in rural areas as well...Lots of chopper traffic going to/from Oil rigs at times on the Air Bands....

Have a great Trip!

Thx

Bill

N5AMS

Hello and early welcome to houston i have a 996xt file on freescan that has everything and then some that you are asking for included is unit ids of what i have as being correct to my knowledge all the towers in the houston area for the trunk systems are in it if you tell me the area you will be in i will condince it to only having the towers for the area you will be traveling in just let me know what you want to listen to and i will get it setup in a file for you

mibzzer15

@mfn002 Thank you very much! Definitely very helpful in figuring out what I need! Thanks!

@Alliance01TX Also Thank you! I will have to add those in! Thanks!

@N5AMS I will be in the Bellaire for most the of 2 weeks, but also going to Galveston for the Schlitterbahn water park. Thanks and I will PM you my email address if you can email it to me. Thanks again!

Btw I know I say thanks alot, but I do sincerely mean it! hehehe Thanks =D

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Oh and a quick note about the listings for IAH. Continental Airlines does NOT use the listed OpenSky system (to the best of my knowledge). Last time I was there (this past Christmas), all Continental employees that I saw were using Motorola radios (HT1000s and XPRs). And when I went to Houston about two weeks or so ago, I was picking up all of their listed UHF channels.

ericcarlson

Database Admin
Oh and a quick note about the listings for IAH. Continental Airlines does NOT use the listed OpenSky system (to the best of my knowledge). Last time I was there (this past Christmas), all Continental employees that I saw were using Motorola radios (HT1000s and XPRs). And when I went to Houston about two weeks or so ago, I was picking up all of their listed UHF channels.

There's no way that the UHF conventional frequencies in the database represent all of Continental's radio usage. The UHF conventional channels are generally only used by contractors. Continental employees should be on the OpenSky system unless something dramatic has happened recently.

ericcarlson

Database Admin
So I will be taking a trip to Texas for 2 weeks this summer taking my GRE PSR-300 and BCD996XT along with my WAN-97A antenna....I will be staying with family in Houston, Texas....and so my question is what are some of the best public safety, air, and military databases to program for my scanners? And all around what are the best ones to listen too?

I should also be in the Mission Control area for the July 8th launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis. Any frequencies I should be listening too specifically?

I'm not sure you're going to find much related to shuttle launches in Houston. The Johnson Space Center trunked system is reported to be 100% encrypted. However, you can consult the RR database for frequencies, including confirmed federal frequencies. There is a "shuttle audio" federal frequency that has been reported in the past near JSC but I don't know if that is currently in use. Please report any updates.
Federal Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

mibzzer15

Great advice...Thanks! Too bad JSC is encrypted....I will have to scan and see if anything shuttle related comes up....Thank you...

rbarker

Robert
Houston has a pretty good helicopter program known as Life flight and their talk group is pretty interesting listening. Houston Police has an "all Call" on 460.425 where they announce all hot shot calls citywide.
such a pursuits, etc. Also dont forget about the media channels which usually talk about all the major incidents. and the Feds are pretty active in Houston also such as DEA and Customs, etc.

ericcarlson

Database Admin
460.45 (Detectives) is the channel where all priority 1 calls are dispatched for the canine and helicopter units which monitor this channel as their primary.

Status
Not open for further replies.