RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Texas Radio Discussion Forum

Texas Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Texas.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 1:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm wondering how many of the HFD TGIDs listed as "encrypted" really are encrypted, and not just a radio tech talking in encrypted mode. If find it hard to believe that so many of HFD's talkgroups are encrypted.
SHSU '13
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2013, 1:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default City of Houston Project 25 TRS

The tac channels are encrypted. OEC has been sending units to them and when they switch over they are encrypted.
Old 04-29-2013, 2:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Good Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfn002 View Post
I'm wondering how many of the HFD TGIDs listed as "encrypted" really are encrypted, and not just a radio tech talking in encrypted mode. If find it hard to believe that so many of HFD's talkgroups are encrypted.
You know, I was thinking that exact same thing when I observed all of the "encrypted" talk groups. Hopefully, Houston won't follow the misguided ones in Ft. Worth, Texas.

I've been keeping this system updated every day I see a change. The last time I was in Richmond/Rosenberg, I could hear Harris SO with great ease. Unlike GATRRS in central Texas, this system is fairly easy to monitor. I am looking forward to hearing HPD when they migrate. Houston needed to modernize their radio system.
Old 04-29-2013, 4:07 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by grem467 View Post
The tac channels are encrypted. OEC has been sending units to them and when they switch over they are encrypted.
ok yes the tac channels are encrypted but the "rover" channels that the automated system has been assigning are not ie.

40018 9c52 D HFD NE Ro MA Northeast Rover 3 Mutual Aid (General Government Services Layer) Fire-Tac
40038 9c66 D HFD SE Ro MA Southeast Rover 10 Mutual Aid (General Government Services Layer) Fire-Tac
40058 9c7a D HFD NW Ro MA Northwest Rover 3 Mutual Aid (General Government Services Layer) Fire-Tac
40078 9c8e D HFD SW Ro MA Southwest Rover 10 Mutual Aid (General Government Services Layer)

yes i understand that they are different talkgroups on the public safety simulcast but they are not encrypted over there either confirmed by Pro96COM and unitrunker.
TX, LA, MS Admin for repraterbook.com
Old 04-29-2013, 4:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5AMS View Post
ok yes the tac channels are encrypted but the "rover" channels that the automated system has been assigning are not ie.

40018 9c52 D HFD NE Ro MA Northeast Rover 3 Mutual Aid (General Government Services Layer) Fire-Tac
40038 9c66 D HFD SE Ro MA Southeast Rover 10 Mutual Aid (General Government Services Layer) Fire-Tac
40058 9c7a D HFD NW Ro MA Northwest Rover 3 Mutual Aid (General Government Services Layer) Fire-Tac
40078 9c8e D HFD SW Ro MA Southwest Rover 10 Mutual Aid (General Government Services Layer)

yes i understand that they are different talkgroups on the public safety simulcast but they are not encrypted over there either confirmed by Pro96COM and unitrunker.
So there maybe some hope to monitor it with a RS Pro-106. At lease I can hope.

Mike Dupree
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2013, 6:40 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Re: City of Houston Project 25 TRS

Only on the public works simulcast in fdma for now umless you have the psr 800

Sent from my Samsung S3 using Tapatalk 2
TX, LA, MS Admin for repraterbook.com
Old 04-29-2013, 9:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Question X2-TDMA PSR-800 scanner question

I assume it is official that Houston Fire Dept is now over on Project 25 to stay.
The PSR-800 scanner is the only scanner that will decode Motorola type 2 TDMA
which is also called X2-TDMA.

Saturday's update to TXWARN Project 25 does appear in Radio Reference database.

The problem I found is that even though some channels are listed as X2-TDMA as indicated
by the light yellow highlighting, when Radio Reference downloads the data to the PSR-800
EZ-Scan software in order to update the scanner, these X2-TDMA channels are not being
picked up and are not being downloaded to the scanner.

Any other users experienced this? Is there a workaround?

I am in north Brazoria County and my PSR-800 seems "dead" to HFD at the moment.
Old 04-29-2013, 9:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknishun View Post
I assume it is official that Houston Fire Dept is now over on Project 25 to stay.
The PSR-800 scanner is the only scanner that will decode Motorola type 2 TDMA
which is also called X2-TDMA.

Saturday's update to TXWARN Project 25 does appear in Radio Reference database.

The problem I found is that even though some channels are listed as X2-TDMA as indicated
by the light yellow highlighting, when Radio Reference downloads the data to the PSR-800
EZ-Scan software in order to update the scanner, these X2-TDMA channels are not being
picked up and are not being downloaded to the scanner.

Any other users experienced this? Is there a workaround?

I am in north Brazoria County and my PSR-800 seems "dead" to HFD at the moment.
Most of the HFD TG's are new and not in the EZScan database yet, they should be in the next run on Saturday.

And they are Phase 2 TDMA, not X2.

Also make sure you have the latest DSP/CPU FW and EZScan software.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
Old 04-29-2013, 11:00 PM
Silent Key - Aug 2014
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Most of the HFD TG's are new and not in the EZScan database yet, they should be in the next run on Saturday.

And they are Phase 2 TDMA, not X2.

Also make sure you have the latest DSP/CPU FW and EZScan software.
To add one other point, Motorola has nothing to do with the description of Phase 2 or this system as a whole.

I only mention this to keep the lines of understanding clear. It's always best to talk apples when discussing what fruit is used to make apple pie.
Sponsored links

Old 04-30-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfn002 View Post
Dispatch Citywide (DISP CW), the Radio Operator (RO) talkgroups, and OEC-1 (the new Tac 6) are all in the clear. All of the tac channels are verified full-time secure. The apparatus radios don't even have the capability to turn it off.

Next time you see a truck belonging to a fire restoration company, thank them for killing a small part of your hobby.
Old 04-30-2013, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorola_otaku View Post
Dispatch Citywide (DISP CW), the Radio Operator (RO) talkgroups, and OEC-1 (the new Tac 6) are all in the clear. All of the tac channels are verified full-time secure. The apparatus radios don't even have the capability to turn it off.

Next time you see a truck belonging to a fire restoration company, thank them for killing a small part of your hobby.
Oh come on, we "restoration companies" are not all bad. It's part of the job, makes the world go round and stuff. We allow the homeowner power of choice, rather than just who they're "told" to go with by their insurance company that isn't even in their state.
Old 04-30-2013, 1:29 PM
Silent Key - Aug 2014
Database Admin

Quote:
Goes to show my naiveté, I had never even considered that.
Old 04-30-2013, 2:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

So am I understanding this correctly. I should be able to pick up the HFD citywide dispatch and the HFD four (4) radio operator (RO) TG's. In FDMA mode over the general government service layer. By means of a patch between the public safety layer and general government service layer.

In other words the following. The radio traffic on TDMA TG ID 40001 that is on the public safety layer. Is being linked to the FDMA TG ID 40002 over the general government service layer. And the same for the (4) radio operator TG's.

Also I've been wondering this. On the HPD TG's for each on the dispatch TG's there is a FDMA TG and a TDMA TG. Is the TDMA TG on the public safety layer and FDMA on the general government service layer? I guess what I'm really asking are they then linked together?

Thank you,

Mike Dupree
Old 05-01-2013, 12:04 PM

As a general rule, anything Phase 1/FDMA will be on the GGSL (General Government Services Layer) aka the "800 simulcast." The public safety simulcast sectors don't have the RF channels available to carry FDMA traffic.

The HFD dispatch and RO FDMA talkgroups carry both dispatch and mobile traffic. The HPD FDMA multicasts, when they go live, are only supposed to carry dispatcher traffic.
Old 05-01-2013, 1:53 PM

So if I am reading this right the fdma TGs will be simulcasted on one tower only on the RFSS 3 part of the system? Or will they be simulcasted on say the Houston Simulcast or Tomball tower?
Sponsored links
Old 05-01-2013, 3:47 PM
Silent Key - Aug 2014
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanfan03 View Post
So if I am reading this right the fdma TGs will be simulcasted on one tower only on the RFSS 3 part of the system? Or will they be simulcasted on say the Houston Simulcast or Tomball tower?
One site does not equal one tower.

It is my understanding that the FDMA simulcast of TDMA TGs will be on the Houston General Government Services Simulcast Site (3-005), which is certainly more than one tower. I don't remember the number of towers, but for some reason nine is knocking around in my memory for some reason, although I believe that will increase as the Motorola system gets retired.

The TDMA simulcast on FDMA will not happen on layer 1 sites, which both Tomball (1-013) and Houston Simulcast (1-052) are.
Old 05-01-2013, 7:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
As a general rule, anything Phase 1/FDMA will be on the GGSL (General Government Services Layer) aka the "800 simulcast." The public safety simulcast sectors don't have the RF channels available to carry FDMA traffic.

The HFD dispatch and RO FDMA talkgroups carry both dispatch and mobile traffic. The HPD FDMA multicasts, when they go live, are only supposed to carry dispatcher traffic.
Thank you for answering my question. I just wish I had the funds for PSR 800.lol.

Mike Dupree
Old 05-01-2013, 8:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
The HPD FDMA multicasts, when they go live, are only supposed to carry dispatcher traffic.
You might want to rethink that.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
Old 05-01-2013, 8:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by loumaag View Post
I don't remember the number of towers, but for some reason nine is knocking around in my memory for some reason...
It's seven "subsites".

Old 05-01-2013, 8:10 PM

OK thanks for clarifying that.

Tags