Need help programming Uniden Trunktracker III

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowardLaMunion

Premium Subscriber
Anyone in the DFW area that knows how to program a Uniden Trunktracker III? I will pay to have this done. Have an older Trunktracker that I just installed in my car. Only receives Dallas PD and Lewisville PD and I wwould like to add more frequencies. I work in Fort Worth, live in Plano and can drop it off anywhere.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Howard LaMunon
howard@consulttus.com
M 214-601-0977

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Anyone in the DFW area that knows how to program a Uniden Trunktracker III? I will pay to have this done. Have an older Trunktracker that I just installed in my car. Only receives Dallas PD and Lewisville PD and I wwould like to add more frequencies. I work in Fort Worth, live in Plano and can drop it off anywhere.

Howard LaMunon
howard@consulttus.com
M 214-601-0977

Some area systems have gone or are going digital and some have rebanded. Would need to check which ones you want to listen to to see is that radio can still pick them up.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

Howard LaMunon
howard@consulttus.com
M 214-601-0977
Which scanner?
And which system(s) or cities are you looking to add?
As Doug (KC5EIB) has already indicated, that's going to make a big difference in what can, or can't be programmed, or will shortly be obsolete.

HowardLaMunion

Premium Subscriber
The cities/systems i would like to add are not digital. They include:

- Denton County SO
- Tarrant County SO
- Fort Worth PD (all four div)
- Colonie PD
- Grapevine PD
- Euless PD
- North Richland Hills PD
- Haltom City PD
- Azle Pd
- Crowley PD
- Mansfield PD

That's it.

HowardLaMunion

Premium Subscriber
Doug, can I bring the scanner in to RS? I live in Plano, work for TCSO North Patrol Division 2pm-10pm and can swing by the store before I go to work one day.

Thank you sir,
Howard

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Doug, can I bring the scanner in to RS? I live in Plano, work for TCSO North Patrol Division 2pm-10pm and can swing by the store before I go to work one day.

Thank you sir,
Howard

Was going to send you a PM but you can not receive one.

Have not programed a Uniden radio in a long time and I do not think I have the software to program this model radio. My Scancat sofrware is a couple of years old. I do have some of the ARC programs though but will have to check

HowardLaMunion

Premium Subscriber
OK thanks for checking. I found the manual for this one online, however, it is very confusing. I am fairly technology-savy with computers etc., and can manually program my RS scanners, however this Uniden is a challenge. What I like about it is that it is small. When I worked for Dallas PD I carried with me on patrol to listen to the other channels in the city, Dallas FD and DSO. However, the person I got it from is no longer with us. It is so small it was easily mounted to the console in my car with some velcro.

Howard

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
OK thanks for checking. I found the manual for this one online, however, it is very confusing. I am fairly technology-savy with computers etc., and can manually program my RS scanners, however this Uniden is a challenge. What I like about it is that it is small. When I worked for Dallas PD I carried with me on patrol to listen to the other channels in the city, Dallas FD and DSO. However, the person I got it from is no longer with us. It is so small it was easily mounted to the console in my car with some velcro.

Howard
Which scanner is it?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Uniden Trunktracker III
That's a generic description, applies to a number of scanners. Simply means the scanner will handle Motorola, EDACS, & LTR systems. The term "TRUNKTRACKER IV" is on the front of the digital scanners, meaning that besides the three system types above, the scscanner also handles P25 (digital) systems. The 396XT sitting on the table next to me is labeled as a TRUNKTRACKER IV. Both my BC246T & BC780XLT have a tag as TRUNKTRACKER III's.

Look on the back for the actual model #, Like BC246T, BR330T, etc.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Look on the back for the actual model #, Like BC246T, BR330T, etc.
I should have added that on some units, the tag with the model and serial # is actually in the battery compartment; in some cases, you need to remove the batteries to see it.

simplec6

Former DPD officer and now a CC Sheriff? Sure, I'll get it programmed for you if you let us know which model it is and hiegtx declines and I can find a manual for it.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Former DPD officer and now a CC Sheriff? Sure, I'll get it programmed for you if you let us know which model it is and hiegtx declines and I can find a manual for it.
Based on the size description above-
What I like about it is that it is small. When I worked for Dallas PD I carried with me on patrol to listen to the other channels in the city, Dallas FD and DSO.
-I have a feeling this may be a 246T.

If that's correct, then programming with FreeScan is a piece of cake. You're probably closer, geographically than I am, easier to meet up.

simplec6

Based on the size description above-
-I have a feeling this may be a 246T.

If that's correct, then programming with FreeScan is a piece of cake. You're probably closer, geographically than I am, easier to meet up.

That'd be great, as I use freescan for my 396t.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
That'd be great, as I use freescan for my 396t.
Same here.

I have a "master" file for this region (Dallas/Tarrant, and minimum two counties out in every direction). With FreeScan, I can selectively load the systems I want in any of the DMA scanners- 246T, BR330T, 396T, 996T, or the 396XT's. And you can also use the check-box 'don't send digital to a non-digital scanner' so that a P25 system (conventional or trunked) does not get sent to one of the analog only scanners. Of course, some of the features of the file- the display colors and multi-site setup for the 396XT, for example- don't apply to the older scanners, but FreeScan converts the multi-site onto individual systems, where needed, and skips what doesn't apply.

The only one that requires an additional step is the 246T. Since it only uses 10 system quick-keys, instead of the 100 of the other scanners, I created a separate file for it, "importing" the systems I wanted from my main FreeScan file, then resetting the quick-keys to the 0-9 format for the 246.

HowardLaMunion

Premium Subscriber
Just getting caught up here. I am going to check the Model/Ser number. I am pretty sure it is the 246. I would love to meet the person who designed the programming on this... at least doing it manually has to be a nightmare. But it is so small and portable... like I said I just velcro-ed it to the console in my Honda Accord, power from cigar lighter and I attached a small antenna behind my TomTom on the dash. I would like to get a digital scanner so I can have Plano, Frisco and Allen (live on the Plano/Frisco line and my wife is with Allen PD) in there as well but not when they are in the $500 range.

Thank you all very much for the feedback and help !!

Howard

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just getting caught up here. I am going to check the Model/Ser number. I am pretty sure it is the 246. I would love to meet the person who designed the programming on this... at least doing it manually has to be a nightmare. But it is so small and portable... like I said I just velcro-ed it to the console in my Honda Accord, power from cigar lighter and I attached a small antenna behind my TomTom on the dash. I would like to get a digital scanner so I can have Plano, Frisco and Allen (live on the Plano/Frisco line and my wife is with Allen PD) in there as well but not when they are in the $500 range.

Thank you all very much for the feedback and help !!

Howard
Howard,
Does it look like this? From your "small size" description, that's why I'm thinking 246T. I still have mine as well. Nice small, tuck in your shirt pocket size.

There is a learning curve to the DMA programming used on the 246 & the scanners introduced after it. But once you get used to it, & grasp the concept, it makes sense. I prefer the DMA to the "Object Oriented" flavor used by the GRE scanners, but I can do either, or the banks/channels of the older style (though I'm a bit rusty on those).

If you haven't done much with that scanner in a while, did you update the firmware? If not, or if it was not already updated when you got the scanner, then you're missing some of the traffic on the Lewisville system. To check which firmware version is in the scanner, do this:
Press the Menu key (the bottom key on the left edge of the scanner)
From the menu that comes up, choose "See Scanner Info". (If it's a DMA scanner other than the 246, that will say "Settings" instead of 'Scanner Info'.) This is the next to the last item, so if you turn the scroll knob counter-clockwise, you'll get to it quicker than going clockwise.
With 'Scanner Info' (or 'Settings') highlighted, press the "E" (yes) key
Now, scroll to Firmware version & press "E" again.
This will show what version you have. The current firmware (and also the one required for rebanded systems such as Garland & Lewisville) is 2.60.

For programming your scanner, presuming it's the 246 or at least one of the DMA scanners, simplec6 would probably be easier to connect with. I live south of downtown Dallas, though I work near Forest & Central Expwy. If I recall, he lives north of the CBD,

As for digital scanners, currently, the PSR-500 is available under $400 here or here. (There are other sources as well.) To that price, besides shipping, you would add a set of rechargeable batteries (external charger recommended) and programming software ($35 for Win500 or PSREdit500). GRE includes the pc interface cable (USB) and ac adapter with the scanner.

Radio Shack often puts the Pro-106 on sale for $299.99 to $329.99, but charges extra for the ac adapter (about $30) and pc cable ($34, though they sometimes give a discount if bought with the scanner). Same software as the PSR-500. Internally, the 106 is identical to the 500. The only significant difference is the front panel arrangement. R/S currently has it "on sale" for $349.99, but that's on a par with the cost of the PSR-500, so by the time you add the ac adapter & pc cable, the 106 would cost more.

The Uniden BCD396XT can be found in the $450 range, or a little less, at several sources, as can the Home Patrol-1.

All of these scanners, from time to time, show up in the classifieds here on RadioReference, on Amazon, eBay, and elsewhere, so keep your eyes open if you are interested in upgrading.

HowardLaMunion

Premium Subscriber
Steve it looks like the link you have here, it's the 246. Will check the firmware I am sure it has never been updated. As much as I would like to have Plano, Allen, Frisco that $400 price tag is a bit much especially when at home I can monitor them via my laptop. However, I like to monitor all the agencies on my travel route between 121/tollway and TCSO North Patrol Station on my way in and home. If I can get this 246 programmed that will work until maybe kids and wife can get me a digital for Fathers Day... LOL

I would like Lewisville updated, my son works for LPD (wife is with Allen PD).

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The cities/systems i would like to add are not digital. They include:

- Denton County SO
- Tarrant County SO
- Fort Worth PD (all four div)
- Colonie PD
- Grapevine PD
- Euless PD
- North Richland Hills PD
- Haltom City PD
- Azle Pd
- Crowley PD
- Mansfield PD

That's it.
Mansfield is actually digital, as is Grand Prairie. Both of these are Motorola Type II systems, but are mixed mode. The public safety related talkgroups (PD & FD) are digital, while some of the city services (water utilities & public works, for instance) are analog. So, Mansfield would be a no-go.

The rest of them, I believe, are all analog, & would not be an issue.

I would suggest you lay out what you are looking for a little more specifically. For instance- Fort Worth PD (all four div) Patrol dispatch talkgroups only? or also the Traffic Div and/or talk channels? Tactical or K9? Air Ops?

For Denton County SO, you might want both the primary S.O. Dispatch (talkgroup 48), but how about TGID 592, "Small PD Dispatch"?

Take a look at the others, and if it's dispatch only, so be it. Just trying to stay on the same page.

It's not a big deal to do either way, just would be better to set it up along the lines you want, preferably the first shot at it.

Steve it looks like the link you have here, it's the 246. Will check the firmware I am sure it has never been updated. As much as I would like to have Plano, Allen, Frisco that $400 price tag is a bit much especially when at home I can monitor them via my laptop. However, I like to monitor all the agencies on my travel route between 121/tollway and TCSO North Patrol Station on my way in and home. If I can get this 246 programmed that will work until maybe kids and wife can get me a digital for Fathers Day... LOL

I would like Lewisville updated, my son works for LPD (wife is with Allen PD).
Firmware update is not a big deal either. Does need to be done, though, to get Lewisville correctly (also Garland and Collin County SO, if you decided at some point to add either of them).

Click on User CP (upper left corner when you're in the Forums).
After you click on that, you'll see a column, on the left, labeled Your Control Panel.
The third section down is labeled "Settings & Options".
In that group, click Edit Options.

In the screen that opens up, look in the section for 'Messaging & Notification'.
If you enable private messaging, you'll be able to send & receive messages on the site. You can also choose whether you want an email notification that you have a new message, and/or if you want a pop-up notification to come up telling you that you have a message when you log into the forums. (I have both of those enabled.)

To send a message, you can either go straight to "private messages", and enter that person's RadioReference user name as the addressee, or click on their name, on a post, and you'll get a pop-up with options, one of which will be to send a message.

As simplec6 is probably closer to you, I'd suggest shooting him a message and seeing if you can make connections. If that does not work out, then you might be able to catch me at work, on my lunch hour, on your way to work, since you say you work a 2->10PM, & I take lunch usually in the 12:30 to 1:30pm range. I work just west of Medical City, off of Forest Lane in Dallas.

HowardLaMunion

Premium Subscriber
OK Steve I am going to layout the specifics for the channels. I am off for 3 days and getting this set up on my to-do list. Appreciate all the info!!

Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.