Attn BELL COUNTY. Pro-Voice coming VERY SOON...

Status
Not open for further replies.

StatuSChecKa

After years of speculation it appears Bell County Comm will finally be digitally encrypted. I'm not sure if this means ReBanding or real encrypted Pro-Voice.

Here is an article from the newspaper in-which I work at:

The Temple Police Department is getting ready to switch to a digital communications signal, probably within the next 30 days, spokesman Sgt. Brad Hunt said.

"The purpose is to improve officer and public safety by protecting the integrity of our communications systems,” Hunt said.

With digital communications systems, channels may be encrypted and only authorized users may hear the transmission.

Temple Police are hoping that because criminals may not be able to hear their transmissions, it will be easier to capture them.

Hunt said he didn’t know how many people in the Temple area currently have scanners that let them hear police department traffic.

At some point, the department worked through the normal budget process to upgrade all its radio hardware to digital-capable signal and has worked closely with the Bell County Communications Center to ensure their capabilities and the department’s match, Hunt said.

“The actual switch will not entail any additional funds, and is not expected to create significant problems,” he said.

One problem some scanner listeners will experience will be their inability to hear the police department transmissions on their analog scanners, since the scanner will not pick up the digital transmissions.

So I'm guessing FIRE will still be listenable? Does this mean even a PRO-106 wont work? I have a Pro-164 now.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Waiting On Verdict

After years of speculation it appears Bell County Comm will finally be digitally encrypted. I'm not sure if this means ReBanding or real encrypted Pro-Voice.

So I'm guessing FIRE will still be listenable? Does this mean even a PRO-106 wont work? I have a Pro-164 now.

It is difficult for me to predict what direction Temple PD will be taking with respect to digital communications, particularly with the emerging P25 system listed in the RR DB.

The wording of this articles seem to suggest that encryption may indeed be employed; however, that is purely speculation. They may believe that digital radios will be enough. Or, it might suggest that selective encryption will be employed.

Due to HIPPA, some Fire & EMS have resorted to encrypted transmissions. I once asked an employee of an Austin area hospital how they handle HIPPA laws with their digital radios. The response, "we don't say the patient's name over the air." Isn't that simple?

I don't understand why Killeen, Bell County, and Temple would want separate radio systems when they've been effectively sharing one in the past few years.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. I've already downloaded the Bell County P25 system on my PSR-500 with Wildcards. Your Pro-106 should work, provided the new system is not: a) ProVoice or b) encrypted.

There are many posts about ProVoice Monitoring if you care to review.

Again, I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping that Temple PD believes some convicts are too inept to program & operate one.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
ProVoice is not encryption. ProVoice is proprietary digital format that scanners (alone) cannot decode. ProVoice can be decoded with a ProVoice radio that can be acquired elsewhere and with software on a PC tied to a scanner.

ProVoice can be encrypted but the quoted article above says nothing about encryption it only says 'digital'. That being said, it does not mean Bell County agencies will not encrypt; it just says they're going to digital.

The distinction is important.

Last edited:

StatuSChecKa

Yea and that fine line I don't quite understand. We'll see what happens. I'm willing to buy any radio necessary, but if it is true encryption then I'll take the hit.
But the Reporters in the other room (that use scanners) are depending on me to find out whats really going on, and if they will be able to listen to police chatter any way possible. I'm the I.T. guy...

I think the news article just opened more questions: ProVoice? Digital? Encrypted? Wait and See I guess, I did want to provide RR with the update though; cause Bell County was supposed to go digital since like 2009. Thats when they bought the radios atleast.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Your options are;
- Buy your own ProVoice capable radio - it will work fine unless they enable encryption. Very expensive.
- ProVoice can be decoded using a PC and DSD - unless they enable encryption. Clunky but okay for a newsroom; requires above average tech skills..
- lobby the Bell County agencies you're interested in to provide a radio or program a radio you provide. This option works if the department really walks the walk when talking "transparency".

If a department hides behind their radios then corruption is easy. Watch closer.

Last edited:

2wayfreq

I would just get an LPE-200 with Provoice. Jut make sure you turn off Autologin (Affiliation), Uncheck all the Transmit boxes and change the PTT button to a Backlight. You'll be good to go!

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Thanks folks, so Encryption costs extra money?
Well yes, it does but that is not the problem for you. The problem for you is that you won't be allowed to have it, unless your organization (as mentioned above) gets a real radio programmed by the agency so you can listen. The whole point of encryption is to deny the unauthorized the ability to hear the transmissions, and it works.

In addition, the article you quoted on the OP does not say how they are going to go, so any jump is premature. First you need to find out what they are changing to, then deal with that. I moved to Texas in 1999 and ever since my first trip to a ham fest in Belton, I have been listening to the "impending doom and gloom" of Bell County scanning folks. I suggest you wait and see what happens.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I know Bell County has had the PV capability for awhile, but like others said it just says "digital" and doesn't specify PV.

cws

Like so many of the so-called "news" stories in the Temple Daily Telegram, (the newspaper "at which you work") this one could have been authored with very little more than a rumor heard in the coffee room. It's totally useless. A "real" newspaper would send a radio-savvy reporter to talk to the communications officer at the PD, to get some real information about what is planned. If they are doing something "in 30 days", it's very likely that someone over there knows what that actually might be!

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Journalism Source?

Like so many of the so-called "news" stories in the Temple Daily Telegram, (the newspaper "at which you work") this one could have been authored with very little more than a rumor heard in the coffee room. It's totally useless. A "real" newspaper would send a radio-savvy reporter to talk to the communications officer at the PD, to get some real information about what is planned. If they are doing something "in 30 days", it's very likely that someone over there knows what that actually might be!

I read you response concerning the Temple newspaper. This prompted me to ask, "do you have a background working as a journalist?" Since you've provided us with an insightful observation, I would appreciate knowing how you determined the quality of journalism, specifically that of the newspaper in Temple, Texas. I am also curious about what news sources you rely upon in your daily life. If you are privy to other news sources that are more accurate, I would be interested in hearing about them.

Unfortunately, I could not review the reported article about the radio system without paying for a subscription. If you have additional information to refute this report, I am all ears. I would certainly like to know as much information about the Bell County radio migration.

This is why I enjoy these forums. It allows radio enthusiasts to share valuable information with one another.

Last edited:

cws

I read you response concerning the Temple newspaper. This prompted me to ask, "do you have a background working as a journalist?" Since you've provided us with an insightful observation, I would appreciate knowing how you determined the quality of journalism, specifically that of the newspaper in Temple, Texas. I am also curious about what news sources you rely upon in your daily life. If you are privy to other news sources that are more accurate, I would be interested in hearing about them.

Unfortunately, I could not review the reported article about the radio system without paying for a subscription. If you have additional information to refute this report, I am all ears. I would certainly like to know as much information about the Bell County radio migration.

This is why I enjoy these forums. It allows radio enthusiasts to share valuable information with one another.

Well, no, I am not a journalist, nor do I have a background in that field. However, I have lived here in Temple for about 18 years, subscribing to, and daily reading, that newspaper all of that time. I also read many other things - enough to form my own opinion of the paper's reporting quality. "Pro Voice" was never mentioned in the article, which, as I remember it from the paper, you also saw in its entirety in the original post, above. Any reporter worth his salt would have mentioned the type of encryption, (Pro Voice, etc., as mentioned by the OP) and not just "digital". I assure you that you will learn more about the Temple PD radio system on this website than you ever will from the local paper. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it! :)

SCPD

QRT
Since we're talking about transparency, I thought I'd check the city website for bids and proposals. Sometimes radio equipment shows up. I found this gem.

Temple, TX - Official Website - Vendor Information

The city expects citizens - who don't want to actually bid, just keep tabs on their government - to spend $30 for access to bid requests and rewards (or subscribe to the Temple Daily Telegram for bid request only). That stinks.

This should be published on the city website. Artificial barriers are a bad sign.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Are Some Newspapers Purposefully Vague?

Well, no, I am not a journalist, nor do I have a background in that field. However, I have lived here in Temple for about 18 years, subscribing to, and daily reading, that newspaper all of that time. I also read many other things - enough to form my own opinion of the paper's reporting quality. "Pro Voice" was never mentioned in the article, which, as I remember it from the paper, you also saw in its entirety in the original post, above. Any reporter worth his salt would have mentioned the type of encryption, (Pro Voice, etc., as mentioned by the OP) and not just "digital". I assure you that you will learn more about the Temple PD radio system on this website than you ever will from the local paper. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it! :)

Thanks for your elaboration. Yes, after a while, citizens can sometimes discern how well their local news reports a story, particularly when the reader might have intimate knowledge.

However, there seems to be a great deal of variance regarding the amount of specificity a newspaper uses in their stories across this nation. I have read some newspaper articles that are quite detailed about a recently installed or proposed radio system.

I never heard one word on the local news about Woodway migrating to a digital system.

So, I am wondering if some newspapers are purposefully vague at the request of law enforcement or very powerful people within the community? For instance, the other day, Baylor was celebrating Diadeloso. Waco PD made several arrests & even called for TABC assistance. But, this never made the local television news. Yes, sometimes, you cannot count on your local news for information.

On the other hand, some news stories will show law enforcement bragging about their recent purchase of equipment such as laser speed detection.

I believe the other reader might have a great solution, review of municipal records.

Since I live nearby, I will be monitoring this migration. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:

cws

If you visit the city website, you'll find a Finance section. There's some useful information there. See page 56 of the last published quarterly report. Almost $800,000 for "digital radios".

http://www.ci.temple.tx.us/DocumentView.aspx?DID=4330

Good find, Unitrunker! I'm not sure that's the latest published, since it's the one ending 03/31/2011, but it's interesting. They've apparently had those radios for over a year, now; 'bout time they did something with them!

Far as I'm concerned, the best money they've spent was to improve our golf course!!! ;)

StatuSChecKa

Like so many of the so-called "news" stories in the Temple Daily Telegram, (the newspaper "at which you work") this one could have been authored with very little more than a rumor heard in the coffee room. It's totally useless.

Brother I understand people get upset with "news" but the reporter did a interview with the P.R. officer which is way more knowledgeable than the equipment/radio manager. I know from personal reasons, the dude (equipment manager) is an old fart that should he pushed into retirement, His brother is the I.A. Corporal and his nephew is a Street Cop Corporal.
FURTHERMORE, the managing editor had a sit down interview with the city manager (about digital comm.) 4 days before this was a public article.
Trust me, I want this to be delayed more than anyone.
Only person who knows EXACTLY what is going on is management at the Bell County Comm Center. Everyone has had digital radios for 4 years, They were just waiting on programing; also alot of the cars had old radios, but since then nearly the whole fleet was replaced, including brand new radios. I believe Sprint/Nextell is funding some of this due to current frequency conflicts.

Last edited:

StatuSChecKa

Also I apologize that I said "Pro-Voice" in the thread.
I said that because that has been the go to rumor for 4-5 years running.
Also, the general public doesn't know "Pro-Voice" so we are not going to put that in the article. Digital however is the articles word of choice.

FlashSWT

A "real" newspaper would send a radio-savvy reporter to talk to the communications officer at the PD, to get some real information about what is planned.

I hate to break it to you, but there are very few "radio-savvy" reporters at any newspaper. In most cases even the cop/crime reporters don't know how to do much more than change the volume or hold on a TG with their scanners. Let alone understand how a trunked system works.

This is compounded by department PIO's who a lot of times don't fully understand the systems themselves. "Digital" is used with no knowledge of whether it is P25, ProVoice, etc.

Another thing to remember is that generally news stories are written toward the lowest common denominator. If you make an article too complicated for your average reader/viewer they'll stop reading/watching.

While those of us in the hobby definitely want more technical details, the average citizen doesn't. The above article does a pretty good job of hitting the high-points. Digital, encryption, no additional funds. That covers what probably 98% of subscribers want to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.