Enclosed mounting in Texas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasday

Does anyone have a 996xt or similar mounted in their trunk, glove box or center console? If so, how is it doing with the heat right now? I'm looking at mounting options for a 996xt

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
I have had a 996T mounted in my dash under my CD player now for several years. I have never had any problems with the heat. Works just fine! :)

Brandon Thetford

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I think he is more concerned with remote mounting the radio in an enclosed space than openly mounting it anywhere.

jasday

How hot does it get in the dash? I've got two kids, my daughter is 4 and my son just turned 1, so I'm worried about stuff being dropped under the seats. I have a crew cab dodge 1500 and there are a couple options, two center storage consoles, one on top of the other and the rear seats fold up with storage under those. It will be a remote mounted 996xt with the rh96. Anyone have any comments or suggestions? I don't think the bottom storage gets as hot, but it was 111 yesterday here.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Car interior temperatures out of direct sunlight (like in the glovebox) can easily reach 130-140 F even when ambient is <100 F.

We do design the scanner to withstand such temperatures. Note that the LCD will be temporarily affected by such temperatures (as it will by very cold temperatures). With extreme temperatures, performance can be temporarily affected until ambient reaches rated operating range (-4 to +140 F).

Here is a plot someone did that is fairly typical of vehicle temperatures (but in his case, ambient stayed below 100 F...TX is hotter). 1996 BMW Interior Temperature

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I like my scanner in the winter. When the LCD gets cold the screen crawls. LOL
Between that and my SiriusXM receiver i always look forward to cold winter days..
Especially in the summer.

I have a quad cab 1500 dodge and under my back seats are storage areas. Although my scanner is currently in a center console with some other radios, my 2nd thought was remote head eventually and mounting the unit back there. Should not have any issues, plenty of air flow there and since you run AC and its not in direct sun light it should be fine.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Clacking rocks together: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID X2 Build/4.5.1A-DTN-150-30) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I've had my 996T mounted under the rear flip-up seat in my full-size pickup since late 2007. No problems. I also have kids whose sole purpose when sitting back there, seems to be to hide as many food items as possible for me to find when I clean. ;)

jasday

Excellent, thank you Upman.

Iamsixnine, is your 996 enclosed in the console or do you keep the lid open? Ive got a 1500 with the split bench front seats with the enclosed storage areas, one on top of another. Do you have any pics of your install? Anything would be great.

Thanks data, I think what I may do is go for the bottom storage console and route everything through the bottom. Im going to have to grt in there and take it apart to see how it works. I think im going to pull the power from the top console storage as the cig lighter is only on when the key is on. now to take it all apart and figure out how to get it done.

Last edited:

jasday

Looking at the graph, its pretty interesting. I figured the trunk would be the worst spot. Its just plain hot. 109F and its blazing. I'm going to deffinetly invest in a window shade, it'll at least help some, maybe. I think the coolest spot will be under the seat with the best air flow.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
I've had two 996XT's and a 396XT mounted on top of my dash for the past two and a half years and haven't had any problems.

I always place a sunscreen in the window and crack the window during hot weather when parked and use it during cooler months as a theft deterent.

Mike

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Google "multi-layer optical film". About a month ago, a company here in AZ was featured on the local news for this product that, when applied to window glass, can reduce heat transfer through the glass to almost zero, even without tinting.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

It may be something worth looking into. I haven't done so myself as of yet, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.