Fort Worth P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

cylonraider

I have seen the posts about Johnson County using the new system and I was just curious if anyone has heard any activity from Fort Worth yet.I don't want to buy a new scanner if I wont be able to listen seeing how the rumor is they are going encrypted

redhelmet13

I have seen the posts about Johnson County using the new system and I was just curious if anyone has heard any activity from Fort Worth yet.I don't want to buy a new scanner if I wont be able to listen seeing how the rumor is they are going encrypted

There has been some coverage testing done this week in west FTW. I drove by the Westland tower and the FW P25 site is on the air. (Removed antenna from scanner and turned on attenuation, the signal was strong. Appears they are simulcasting the new sites. I have not been by Eagle Mountain site yet. The site id is come in as 001 on the only control channel found (858.4375) I have Pro96Com running 24/7 at the house. The call sign has changed to WQPY401, site 006 is not on the air anymore (for now).

I had info from reliable insiders about all of FWPD being crypto full time. FWFD should be non crypto.

Last edited:

cylonraider

I wonder if they were testing the crypto while coverage testing. I don't have P25 listening capabilities yet so I wonder what the crypto sounds like.

I would imagine then that if PD is crypto then the live feed will go down at some point as well, Ive been using the live feed till I was able to get a portable scanner for the P25 system.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I wonder if they were testing the crypto while coverage testing. I don't have P25 listening capabilities yet so I wonder what the crypto sounds like.

I would imagine then that if PD is crypto then the live feed will go down at some point as well, Ive been using the live feed till I was able to get a portable scanner for the P25 system.
Don't forget that besides Ft Worth PD & FD, there will eventually be a number of other users on the P25 system. The plan, as discussed some time ago, was that the new system would replace the current analog system as users migrated over. While FWPD may encrypt some or all of their traffic, that may not be the case will all of the other eventual users, especially with the extra costs involved.

redhelmet13

Sounds like a mix of R2D2 on crack and water driping played bacwards. If you have ever heard a P25. signal that was breaking up, its kinda like that.

K5TXC

Premium Subscriber
Hearing P25 traffic FWPD

Hearing P25 traffic on Fort Worth Central patrol this morning.

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Logging a few more talkgroups in Unitrunker today. No idea what they are yet.

Testing on 5009 in the clear and then they disappeared into encrypted...

Last edited:

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Nothing super solid, but I believe 5005 is PIC2 and 5009 is Central Talk 1.

Last edited:

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Since they are encrypted it will be hard to catch them. The trick may be to have a computer running Unitrunker watching the P25 while you are scanning the SmartNet and being quick to see when talkgroups come up and go down together on both systems.

redhelmet13

Since they are encrypted it will be hard to catch them. The trick may be to have a computer running Unitrunker watching the P25 while you are scanning the SmartNet and being quick to see when talkgroups come up and go down together on both systems.

Arent they going cold turkey from the Smarnet to the P25 system?
The info I got back in July seems to be accurate for the most part about FWPD using full time encryption. Chief Halstead is a propronent of encrytion. The bad guys will have to be a little more on their toes....

A bunch of law abiding folks with scanners are going to be rather unhappy. Such is the price of living in this day and age.

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Guess I shouldn't have assumed they will initially link them. It was strange today that dispatch was clear and officers were encrypted while testing today. After a while it went 100% encrypted. Logged a few more talk groups but no idea what they are yet.

GregHiggins

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget that besides Ft Worth PD & FD, there will eventually be a number of other users on the P25 system. The plan, as discussed some time ago, was that the new system would replace the current analog system as users migrated over. While FWPD may encrypt some or all of their traffic, that may not be the case will all of the other eventual users, especially with the extra costs involved.

As we were told on the FD side, there are no extra costs. Everything was bought...........

jasday

Greg,

Does that mean we can expect FWFD to be encrypted as well? Did they give yall any sort of time frame for fire to start transitioning?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
FW LE Monitoring, RIP?

I am very disappointed in hearing that FW is starting to encrypt everything for the PD based on what I'm seeing in the RR DB. I am hoping that this will eventually change. Part of me says, "this might be due to the installation stage." Sometimes, when radios go down into the tunnel, they sound a bit like encryption.

I wonder whether the live feeds, making scanning available to the general public, weighted in the decision to go "E?" Did FW ever report arresting someone for using smart phone applications in the commission of a crime? Or, did someone get arrested with a digital scanner during the commission of a crime? I know LE can make the decision to encrypt without any sound reason, but I was wondering whether something prompted this decision.

If this is a permanent situation, I won't be traveling through or visiting FW anymore. Part of the fun of traveling is listening to radio traffic. Fort Worth was one of the most entertaining.

GregHiggins

Premium Subscriber
Last month during training, we (FWFD) were told that the entire city will be encrypted by April-May of 2013. The city bought a complete system that included encryption, and it would be used.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Wow

Last month during training, we (FWFD) were told that the entire city will be encrypted by April-May of 2013. The city bought a complete system that included encryption, and it would be used.

Well, like I said, I won't be traveling through this area anymore given this development. This is taking HIPPA laws to the extreme.

This is starting to remind me of Williamson County. I seriously doubt the presence of encryption will significantly reduce the occurrence of index crimes. Oh well, IH35E it is.

NC5267

I heard from a source up there that the city bought the encryption package for the PD radios only and it was around 500 bucks a radio added to regular cost.

GregHiggins

Premium Subscriber
HIPPA? You're really out of touch if you think thats the reason!!! And like I've said previously, and we've been told this several times over the past year, the entire sytem will be encrypted, The city bought the complete package and from one of the radio shop guys, they plan to implement it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.