El Paso going digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapSS92

The city of El Paso is getting ready to switch over to a digital system probably within the next month. It seems they are simulcasting some of their channels already. I am still trying to figure out their info but my scanners aren't digital. If anyone has a scanner locally you might try to pick up ID's and such. From what I have found on the web it appears that the Sheriff's are also going to upgrade to digital VHF. It appears that they are going to stick with Motorola so unless they go encrypted they should be easy to pick up. HTH.

praxidike

Premium Subscriber
The city of El Paso is getting ready to switch over to a digital system probably within the next month. It seems they are simulcasting some of their channels already. I am still trying to figure out their info but my scanners aren't digital. If anyone has a scanner locally you might try to pick up ID's and such. From what I have found on the web it appears that the Sheriff's are also going to upgrade to digital VHF. It appears that they are going to stick with Motorola so unless they go encrypted they should be easy to pick up. HTH.

Wow. That was a fast change. Perhaps their just testing it out? It's been awhile since I've listened to anything down there.. Maybe if I ever get the cojones to put a discriminator tap on one of my Uniden's I'll get some information :) In the mean time I'll just keep on with ID Search ..

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
The whole El Paso thing is confusing to me. I guess if I was there as opposed to the other side of the state it would make more sense, but right now, depending on who is posting, it is hard to understand who is on what and how do you find them? :confused:

I mean, is the county Public Safety actually on the EDACS system or are they using the conventional channels on the county page?

As for the city, if they are moving to digital are they continuing to use the current system (that is digital voice capable) or are they moving the P25 system that we seem to have almost no information about?

praxidike

Premium Subscriber
I can't find the news article that was posted a few months back. It seems like the sherrif's department will be transitioning to the city's EDACS system. I could be wrong however. I need to go back a few months. None the less, I find the current setup a headache.

CapSS92

The stuff about EDACS needs to get removed. They used that system to threaten Motorola and it worked. The current system is digital ready which is what they are upgrading. The fire department was always ahead of the curve and uses Motorola 5000 radios. The police department used 2500s and now is going to have to buy new 6000s. Again they are currently simulcasting but I don't have a digital scanner so I can't get IDs yet. I understand they are going to use the same frequencies but are adding several more repeater sites to the current 5 repeater system. Plus they are supposed to be upgrading to an automated voice dispatch system for fire calls but money,as always, is an issue. The sheriff will also be going VHF digital soon and it will be Motorola. As for all the military and federal stuff around here they are all digital and encrypted so no one really monitors them anymore. I think they do some stuff unencrypted but it kinda bites to only hear one side of the conversation. HTH.

SCPD

QRT
I know the newer series radios the SO got the few anyway prior to 2012 were VHF the SO has been putting out. Xts/xtl series. Encryption capable by side button. Was told then in future they plan to outfit the SO side cars with a metro radio by the VHF for the new system to monitor city but still use VHF as there end. I can tell you I have not heard any digital on any of the sheriff channels yet. There is a ton of old GE radios still in use so once the burps are all gone and everything's putting out mdc Id tones they prob switch to digital. I know the current new VHF mobiles And portables are in mixed mode for the SO for receive. There is a separate zone for analog tx only with other county freqs in that last zone using no I'd or mdc ids. zone 1 which will be digital VHF and have Texas dps in scan list. On that Texas dps El Paso sector will also as funds permit have a metro mobile in the unit by there VHF or a dual band apx is planned in future. A planned TG for both sheriff and dps to utilize will be in the system later in future. However VHF will be there to stay on SO. Xts/xtl vhf radios was the idea sometime back but now all future roll outs the SO plans to have apx dual band series radios VHF/the new city system mobiles/portables.

SCPD

QRT
Does this apply to county VHF also going digital, curious if horizon Anthony the other small towns will stay analog VHF or digital switch when sheriff goes or switch to the city system.

CapSS92

I don't know about the smaller cities but the Sheriff is still aways from transitioning. I saw the request for proposals online so I would say it's gonna be a couple of years before they switch. It looks like the city is now digital. I can hear the tones for the fire stations on the analog system but that is it. I can't hear anything else. Looks like it's time to get a digital scanner.

axam2

Premium Subscriber
Have A Home Patrol 1 can't get El Paso new digital channels

I have a HM1 I have got a update this week. I was thinkingI could here El Paso new digital system after the weekly update came out. I need some help.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I have a HM1 I have got a update this week. I was thinkingI could here El Paso new digital system after the weekly update came out. I need some help.
The HP-1 database will not have the new El Paso P25 system in it until we get some verified talk group information. Uniden does not load any systems that don't have talk group information. However, that doesn't stop you from adding a system to a favorites list on your own. That subject; however, is way beyond this topic and better asked in the Uniden forum.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Activity has been verified and active talkgroups have been updated. Let's get some clarification on what the frequency assignments are for the two separate systems, as it looks like the old system will be relegated to public works and backup for public safety.

SCPD

QRT
Any one hear if the sheriff is going forward with joining the cities dtrs? Haven't heard anything on my end. Did it get shot down or a full ahead for the upgrade? It would take time as they would need to place new repeaters across the county if they intended to go to a dtrs.

SCPD

QRT
I was referring to anyone locally that had inside knowledge as they posted before on a different thread. I already used google thank you. No need to do that.

CapSS92

Looks like it was approved and they should have something in place by the end of the year. County approves purchase of 10.3 million radio system for Sheriff | KTSM News Channel 9 | News, Weather and Sports | El Paso, Las Cruces, Juarez

Also it looks like the EPPD will be going encrypted. One of the techs told me they are starting to get everything in place to encrypt all the radios. I don't think Fire will go encrypted but perhaps they are waiting to see how it goes for PD. PD bought new Motorola APX 6000 radios but Fire kept all their XTS5000 radios so maybe that's another reason why they are waiting. We'll see...

SCPD

QRT
Yeah I noticed before they had purchased all xts 5ks and shortly after I heard they were going to apx. Kinda a double blow buying the 5ks then to shortly after replace them with apx. I noticed in other areas them mentiong VHF so I take it the county will utilize a p25 VHF? Since eppd is using dual band radios now and I was told before the sheriff waited and there ideas of dual band for the county and regarding one artical I am just guessing VHF digital with ability to communicate to the city system? Yeah I didn't get anything new as I was told the city will eventually migrate to a secure system. I know the older radios some were equipped but not all and hardly used. However since now days the hardware/software is basically included I guess they decided due to border issues and crime increases to go secure.

SCPD

QRT
I'm guessing eventually fire will roll to apx whn the budget allows. I recall from a source at time which retired now the idea was everyone in fd/pd could communicate an talk with in time going secure, county staying VHF but updating to modern tech with ability to communicate via dual band radios and a secure patch on a VHF channel to be made to the dtrs for outer areas as well as being able to utilize the dtrs. It was some time back before the city even went digital so allot can change in ideas and plans in a agency/budgets.

Status
Not open for further replies.