Forney New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
So Forney city council has approved for a new P25 system. Does anyone know when this is suppose to be implemented?

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Wonder if they were a little embarrassed by the officer on a traffic stop on a major freeway having to stop and lift his radio high up during the Zimmerman traffic stop?

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Amazing a city that small can afford a whole P25 system.
whats the minimum number of voice channels it can have? LOL

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Amazing a city that small can afford a whole P25 system.
whats the minimum number of voice channels it can have? LOL
Take a look at the Prosper TRS. And, of course, there are some single frequency trunked systems in use. See this one.
So Forney city council has approved for a new P25 system. Does anyone know when this is suppose to be implemented?
The unanswered question (I have no sources to ask, so just wondering their intentions myself) is whether they intend to use the existing set of frequencies, including those from the MotoTrbo system, in a new P25 trunked system, or was the approval intended to indicate a shift to P25 operation on conventional frequencies (in other words, not trunked).

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
I see that one of the emission mode designators for this system is 9K80D7W, which means: "P25 Phase II fixed-end 2-slot TDMA (Harmonized Differential Quadrature Phase Shift Keyed modulation - H-DQPSK)." If they use it, you will need a PSR-800 to decode the Phase II talkgroups.

73's

Ron

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I see that one of the emission mode designators for this system is 9K80D7W, which means: "P25 Phase II fixed-end 2-slot TDMA (Harmonized Differential Quadrature Phase Shift Keyed modulation - H-DQPSK)." If they use it, you will need a PSR-800 to decode the Phase II talkgroups.

73's

Ron
Correct.

Or, possibly whatever "new scanner" Uniden announces two weeks from now. We have at least a couple of other Phase II systems that should be online in the next 12 to 18 months, so one or the other will become a necessity.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that link. Do we know when they will be switched over to this new system or is it live now? Some people I know with FFD were told possibly after the first of the year.

So will I not be able to pick up this system with the BCD996XT?

-Thanks!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that link. Do we know when they will be switched over to this new system or is it live now? Some people I know with FFD were told possibly after the first of the year.

So will I not be able to pick up this system with the BCD996XT?

-Thanks!
The license shows two emission codes. One would be the type used for a Phase I system, which your 996XT can handle. However, the other code, 9K80D7W (see Thunderbolt's post above) would indicate licensing for Phase II. The question is whether the system will be operated in Phase II mode, or used as Phase I, but is Phase II capable. Plano's PAWM and and the Frisco P25 system both show up as "Phase II" in the database, because both systems show that capability when the control channel is analyzed with Unitrunker or another utility, However, for both of those systems, no Phase II talkgroups are in use; all traffic is using Phase I, so there is no need for a Phase II capable scanner at this time to hear them.

I have no idea whether Forney plans to use their new system in Phase I or Phase II mode. If they choose Phase II for the system and talkgroups, then your 996XT will not track the system. You'd need a Phase II capable scanner, and currently, the only one out there is the PSR-800, manufactured by the now defunct GRE. Uniden will be announcing at least one new scanner November 16th, probably available shortly after the first of next year. Hopefully, this will be their first Phase II capable scanner. Additionally, as noted in other forum threads, Whistler Group, the maker of auto accessories such as radar detectors, has bought the patent rights to the former GRE line, and will be re-starting production, That could bring the price of their equivalent model to the PSR-800 back down to a more reasonable level.

Note the link that Tom (ND5Y) posted above:
http://www.cityofforney.org/vertical/sites/%7B01C87FD4-B96D-46B3-955F-0FEDBFBAC2CC%7D/uploads/M07-02-13.pdf
If you look at that council agenda, it does state that the system will be Phase II, We'll have to see if they operate it that way, or use it as Phase I, like Plano & Frisco, among others, are doing.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT

73's

Ron

Not any longer Ron, The new UNIDEN BCD436HP and BCD536HP to be released in Jan 2014 should decode this.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like they got their DMR system set up poorly... Considering that I can get in to a TRBO repeater from about 30+ miles away on 4 watts UHF from inside of a car....

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Very interesting article. So, when did Terrell go P25? I still hear them sometimes on 154.755 PL 203.5. And, if they went to P25 on their VHF channel then Forney's radios MUST be capable of VHF and 700/800; if they got APX 7000 type radios with that band split then that's entirely possible.

Or ... is Terrell joining TxWARN using the Kaufman County site? I can only hear that site on a very good night; most of the time I can't lock on to the control channel. Seems to me all of Kaufman Co should use a single system. Whether it Forney's 700 MHz system, TxWARN or a P25 VHF trunked or non-trunked system,.

Also, who gets the VHF frequencies used by the old DMR system? Right now, Forney has licensees all over the place. Can't wait for it to settle down. InterOp in Kaufman County must be pretty complicated right now. Perhaps they're using the VHF interop channels

Russell

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Very interesting article. So, when did Terrell go P25? I still hear them sometimes on 154.755 PL 203.5. And, if they went to P25 on their VHF channel then Forney's radios MUST be capable of VHF and 700/800; if the got APX 7000 type radios with that band split then that's entirely possible.

Or ... is Terrell joining TxWARN using the Kaufman County site? I can only hear that site on a very good night; most of the time I can't lock on to the control channel. Seems to me all of Kaufman Co should use a single system. Whether it Forney's 700 MHz system, TxWARN or a P25 VHF trunked system,.

Also, who gets the VHF frequencies used by the old DMR system? Right now, Forney has licensees all over the place. Can't wait for it to settle down. InterOp in Kaufman County must be pretty complicated right now. Perhaps they're using the VHF interop channels

Russell
Russell,
I have TxWARN up on my HP-1, rooftop antenna, and in ID Search mode; have had for quite some time (more than six months). I have yet to hear any traffic that sounded like originating from Terrell. I get fairly good reception of the Kaufman site from home. I occasionally hear DPS & Smith County units pop up, but mostly EMS (ETMC).

Terrell does have four 700MHz frequencies allocated to them, but unknown if they are in use. I might be out of range even if they were active. I do have a "system" loaded for them, just in case.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Well, there's definitely something there in Terrell. I've added the following system; Terrell P25

Not to hijack the thread .... moved this one to it's own thread.

Last edited:

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
"According to Barnes, space on the tower could be used for additional public safety communication needs in the future. The Forney Police Department may also enter into a regional communications partnership with neighboring departments such as the Mesquite and Garland Police Departments."

I found that statement to be cute. Apparently Barnes as never been out of the city limits of Forney...LoL

That will never happen and isn't going to happen. We kind of get a chuckle from them because they act like the little kid who has a new toy that no one else can get and doesn't know any better...LoL

Terrell and Kaufman Co system is coming off of EMTC tower and system. ETMC went P25 last year but I can't remember if it was Phase 2 or 1. I think it is Phase 2 but not sure. I think it is Phase 2 because that would make more sense for the lic Forney has for the Phase 2 system. I will have to ask my buddy as he has told me before but can't remember exactly the details at the moment.

Yes the InterOp in Kaufman County right now is a mess but they needed this upgrade because their radios have been a mess period. Mesquite and everyone around them who runs M/A has their own dedicated radios just for InterOp with Forney. It is a complete communications cluster I can tell you that much. I agree, all of Kaufman Co should use a single system and we have all been saying the same thing here for months. At the time they approved this new system in Forney they didn't want anyone on their system or tower but, according to Barnes statement maybe they have rethought that. I know it definitely won't be Mesquite or Garland though.

In one of my previous comments I stated I was told Forney was going to switch after the first of the year. I was told this week by my same contact with FFD that they are indeed going live this month but wasn't given a date. I have also been told this by a couple other reliable sources out of Kaufman Co. I will try to find out more details and pass them along.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.